Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there colleges that award A.A.S degrees soley based soley on transfer credit?
****Sorry about the title typo!****

I suppose this is unlikely, but before I follow through with my current plans I wanted to check. Can one get a degree by accumulating enough credit (from many venues like CLEP, FEMA, life experience, IT certs, AP, etc) that classes are never required? I've never heard of a college doing this without at least one semester (15 cred) of attendance, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to double check. I guess I'm concerned about actually going back to a structured class setting (even online, anything with deadlines), I always hated it and now I run a business and want to avoid it, even if it is only five total classes.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
All of the Big Three schools do that:

http://www.tesc.edu/
https://www.excelsior.edu/
Charter Oak State College - distance learning college, online degrees, courses

Which is why all three of these schools are so popular on this board, since you can earn a degree almost entirely by testing out, independent study, and other credit sources without ever having to take a class directly from the school, and without having to attend classes in person at all if you don't wish to.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Oh my God. I had no idea. I thought I read that even TESC would require at least a little time there.

Thank you. I will continue to investigate this.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:****Sorry about the title typo!****

I suppose this is unlikely, but before I follow through with my current plans I wanted to check. Can one get a degree by accumulating enough credit (from many venues like CLEP, FEMA, life experience, IT certs, AP, etc) that classes are never required? I've never heard of a college doing this without at least one semester (15 cred) of attendance, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to double check. I guess I'm concerned about actually going back to a structured class setting (even online, anything with deadlines), I always hated it and now I run a business and want to avoid it, even if it is only five total classes.
>>

The technical phrase is called "residency requirement" and the big 3 are zero residency schools. So, you still need the proper distribution of credit, and you can use classes-exams-etc to fill it, but as far as actually taking classes OFFERED BY THAT COLLEGE, zero. Big Grin And yes, all three are regionally accredited colleges.
CLEP (and DSST) cheap, multiple choice, covers mainly 100/200 level gen ed classes.
FEMA - free electives only, not all count for credit, cap at 27
Life Experience- very expensive and time consuming, put it WAY at the bottom of your list. Technically called "Prior Learning Assessment." (AKA Portfolio credit) IMO, a marketing tool or hook to get adults back in school.
IT Certs- I think yes, but I don't know this area at all.
AP- As long as you earned a 3 or better, TESC awards 6 credits per exam.

You can't duplicate credit (AP US History duplicates both CLEP US History 1 and CLEP US History 2).

Enjoy Smile
rickyjo Wrote:****Sorry about the title typo!****

As said before me, the Big 3 will do this.
I know for a fact that Excelsior does. The only reason I took any courses at all was so that I wouldn't pay the higher enrollment and graduation fees. So I broke down and took two classes through them.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
So, there is a cap of 27 credits for the FEMA stuff. I can get 45 at Red Rocks, so perhaps I would be stuck doing classes anyway.

Do any of the big three have an emergency management course where I could use the FEMA credit for more than free electives?

And is the 27 limit cap mentioned prior imposed by all three schools? I would assume it would be different at every one.

Thanks for the continuing help.

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
[COLOR="Navy"]To me, Fema credits at best are nice "filler" credits that one can use as elective applied professional credits and really nothing more. I used a grand total of 6 Fema credits in my applied professional credits section, 3 more than I needed.

Why not shelve the Fema credits for now and go after a degree (AAS or otherwise) that you can apply the "maximum" number to (@ EC) and then finish the balance with other CLEP or DSST exam options? [/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I think I'm going to stick to my original plan.
I will proceed to get the 45 credits from FEMA that Red Rocks Community in Denver will give me. Combined with my AP and IT certs that will give me a total of 46 easy credits (at least) without attending a class room. Then I will bight the bullet and take one semester of classes. I am in Colorado so it will be cheaper anyway. I will walk away with a degree, and then I will go back for another semester and get my computer science at my leisure.

I think Emergency Management and IT and/or CS degrees will work well together.

I just don't think that it will be cheaper or easier if the big three won't take as much FEMA credit as Red Rocks.

Unless anybody is aware of an emergency management program at one of the big three that will take more credit?

Thanks for the information, you have presented some sound options. ShotoJuku definitely provided a solid alternative. I guess, I'm a bit timid going forward. I don't want to make the wrong move! This post is a second-guess of a decision I thought I already made! I just keep doing these FEMA classes all day without knowing exactly how to use them.

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
TESC has an emergency management AAS
BrandeX Wrote:TESC has an emergency management AAS

By any chance do they accept the FEMA credits for more than just free electives? TESC would be way cheaper than Red Rocks, 15 x 45 = 675 + 15 in house credits = 3,375 for me since I'm out of state so basically $4,000 @ RR + lot's of time spent taking classes.. i rather test out and save money :]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 5 111 2 hours ago
Last Post: Vle045
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 2 302 Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,589 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 830 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 688 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,859 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 186 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 352 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 210 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 781 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh