Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Army National Guard....
Ok, they guy who was in state OCS who got deployed was prior enlisted guard, that might have something to do with it.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
So far, you guys have given me alot of grat information. I have an appoitment to talk with a recruiter on Monday morning. One of my main issues is that I'm going to school in Michigan at the end of August. The recruiter told me that I can always transfer, however don't certain requirements and rules (i.e. tuition assistance, etc) vary from state to state? Would it be best to talk to a recruiter in Michigan?

Oficially a Graduate!!Big Grin
COSC B.S. Independent/Liberal Studies (Business Admin & Healthcare Admin)

Exams Passed:
- DSST: Technical Writing 64
- DSST: Principles of Supervision 58
- CLEP: A&I Literature 74
- DSST: Intro to Business 66
- DSST: Ethics in America 63
- DSST: Intro to World Religions 67
ALL DONE!! hilarious[SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
Honestly, I'd either wait until you moved to MI, or just call up a recruiter there right now and see what he has to say. If you're going to be in MI for law school, you'd join their state OCS anyways, so there's no point in joining a unit in your current state.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
I agree with hawkguy, I cant imagine that transferring is a easy process and I bet the OCS varies from state to stat, I would hate to see you get started and than have to start all over again. just wait till you get to MI or maybe make a phone call to the great lakes state before you go any further.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
loredia Wrote:So far, you guys have given me alot of grat information. I have an appoitment to talk with a recruiter on Monday morning. One of my main issues is that I'm going to school in Michigan at the end of August. The recruiter told me that I can always transfer, however don't certain requirements and rules (i.e. tuition assistance, etc) vary from state to state? Would it be best to talk to a recruiter in Michigan?

I've been in the Army 12 years Active. Make sure you talk to the Reserve Recruiters also. The programs are usually the same between the Guard and Reserves. Make sure you ask about the SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program). I used to be an Active Duty Recruiter a couple of years ago, but also enlisted a few Reservists. I want to say that you wont have many issues if you decide to transfer to another state. Since the Reserves are Federally funded and not State funded, the tuition assistance should be the same where ever you decide to move to. Let me know if you have any questions about the Reserves, I can find out for you.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I enlisted in the Tennessee National Guard as an e-2 and am now an e-3. I have not really had any problems with pay, or tuition assistance. My recruiter was not a liar. Recruiters just don't emphasize the negative aspects as any salesman would do. My unit deployed in 2004 and are on alert status right now. So we may be going to Iraq again. I'm in the college first program and it does have 2 years non deployable status if you are in school. I don't know if that program is offered to officers or not, as they already have a degree. I would advise if you are moving to Michigan to maybe talk to a recruiter in your state but not join until you move. Also, don't join just for the college money or benefits. Many people want the benefits but find out the Guard is just not for them;however, they enlisted on a contract for x number of years. If you want to serve your country, are willing to risk being deployed, and feel called to be in the Guard then join. If you are questionable of your standing, and may just want the benefits then you are better off not joining.

I have not been deployed yet, and my overall experience with the Guard is positive. Some people say the Military will either make you or break you and I feel that is true. Some people it helps and others it doesn't. Training and being away from home can be hard and challenging. It is a decision not to be taken lightly. Your are signing on the dotted line with the U.S. government to be in the military for x number of years. If you are not willing to give up some of your own freedom or make sacrifices then I would encourage you to ponder whether you really want to join. If you know in your heart that being in the Guard is for you and are not afraid to be deployed or make sacrifices, then go ahead and join.

Aaron
Thanks to everyone who replied. After the FL recruiter stood me up at our 10:30 appt, I decided to go ahead and call a MI recruiter. To make matters worse, he called me 2 days later to excuse himself. Anyhow, one of my concerns is that I wanted to complete basic training this summer, because it would be the only summer I would be avaalable without having to miss a semesterof classes (I plan to attend year round). Anyhow, I have a phone appt with the Mi recruiter, and I also emailed Army & AF National Guards, and JAG for all 4 Military branches.

Thanks again everyone, for giving me such insight and preparing me for what things might really be like...lol. One things for sure, I'm not ready to go to Iraq (or any of the likes), but I would like to serve my country in another aspect. Anyhow, there's no "real" rush, so I'll wait until I get to Michigan and decide there. Smile

Exams Passed:
[/SIZE]
Yipeee! My last post just Upgraded me to KNIGHT Status!! hilarious Yup, I have too much time on my hands...lol.

Exams Passed:
[/SIZE]
My only recommendation is to get your BA first before joining. I know some people who joined before finishing and they've found it hard to promote up to officer. You don't need that unnecessary roadblock because in order for promotion they may throw you in for a loop - minimum time requirements per level or deployment first, then promotion. Off-base housing and tuition-reimbursement are the only money problems (I think) at the closing navy base in Corpus Christi, Texas. Transferring around shouldn't be a problem as long as you mention it beforehand and request it whenever the time comes. if you are a great worker bee they might not want to but if you are just the average worker then they'll probably let you go whereever you want. What can I say - everyone likes to keep the good ones! Smile

As for those recruiters, they do have a bit of sales puffery goin' on. The best inclination is to go ahead and talk to actual members of the base you will be at. if they like it/enjoy it, you should be fine. Ask them specific questions. Many of them like to enjoy a night on the town in the local area around the base since many of them are single so finding one to talk to should not be too hard - although, if they're interested in something else or they're busy and don't want to talk about it you should probably look elsewhere. Most are willing to talk about what they're doing, though, because many of them get lonely in their barracks, etc.

Lastly, you should have an inklink of what you want to do in the service - like work in medical, communications, aviation, etc. You will be placed in a specific job that fits you right. Cool
Credits Racked Up.....71
Peers: (Still) Not Even Outta High School Yet.
No More CLEPs left. I've taken them all! :p
Spring 2009: Managerial Accounting, Business Cal, Statistics
goldpaws Wrote:As for those recruiters, they do have a bit of sales puffery goin' on. The best inclination is to go ahead and talk to actual members of the base you will be at. if they like it/enjoy it, you should be fine. Ask them specific questions. Many of them like to enjoy a night on the town in the local area around the base since many of them are single so finding one to talk to should not be too hard - although, if they're interested in something else or they're busy and don't want to talk about it you should probably look elsewhere. Most are willing to talk about what they're doing, though, because many of them get lonely in their barracks, etc.

Lastly, you should have an inklink of what you want to do in the service - like work in medical, communications, aviation, etc. You will be placed in a specific job that fits you right. Cool

As a former Army recruiter, I will say that there is sales puffery because that's what recruiters are, Military salesmen. Now let me say this also; it is nice to have an inklink of what you want to do in the service, but unless you have a specific degree like in communications, or nursing, etc. you will not have a say so as to what field or branch you will get when going in as an officer. You will go to OCS and fill out a wishlist of 10 branches that you want. Unless you graduate OCS top of your class, you will most likely be placed in "Needs of the Army". This is one phrase you will need to get used to unless otherwise stated in your contract. The only ones that get to choose a specific job are enlisted members based on their qualifications. (Army Enlistees only, Don't know about the other branches)
I would agree that going on the base is the best way to find the answers right from the source. Ask the officers what they went through so you know what to expect.

Somebody who has been though this process, please correct me if what I stated is wrong. It's been a couples of years since I was a recruiter. Smile
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,176 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  National University Alpha 0 1,385 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  S.A.L.U.T.E Veterans National Honors Society 1SGM 17 7,873 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Army MLT - ASAST or BSAST at TESU? MLTtoMLS 11 4,483 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Army chaplain creditmonsoon 1 1,616 06-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Guard Officers tsimmns 2 1,307 12-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Army Staff and Management College heinleineken 1 1,722 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Changes to Army TA defscarlett 2 1,243 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: perriquit
  Military Degree Completion at TESC (TA - Go Army Ed - Fees questions) Riley2012 3 1,145 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: dthom
  Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits? gshelley61 9 6,819 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gshelley61