Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ask advising"?
This is probably a super dumb TESU question:

People say, "I'll ask advising about this course." Are you emailing a general advising email address? Or do you have A person? I have had one phone appointment and I didn't come away thinking she's now "my person". If she is, that's fine. She wasn't super knowledgeable it seemed, but maybe in email where things can be spelled out clearly it would be better?

When you email either the general address or a specific person, what do you include? Links to the course you want approved? Or copy paste the course description?
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • mc.christi
I just emailed academicadvising@tesu.edu from my TESU email account with the study.com courses I wanted to take and where I hoped they would end up on the evaluation. They correct me if it can't go in that particular spot.

I also had to do the big switcheroo to get the BALS gen ed to look like the AA gen ed evaluation. Did the same thing:
"Please move Intro to Communication from Lower Level area to Oral Communications Gen Ed area." We did this all through email.

The academic advising phone call they suggested after the application accepted was not useful. The advisor was unable to answer where study.com classes would go. They told me to go look online for the info. Sheesh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes triforce828's post:
  • mc.christi
I do it through their Help Desk. I choose "Academic Advising". However, they will often say to schedule an appointment if the question is not simple.

I did all of mine through email.

I even appealed a few courses successfully, by including an attachment of the course syllabus, with a short note that said "I think the course XXX should come in as YYY because of ZZZ." So "I think African-American History taken at SJSU should come in to fulfill my Civic Engagement requirement because we studied the constitution and government as part of the course. I've included the syllabus for the course to show you. I'm also including the Gen Ed Advising sheet that shows that this course satisfies the American Government requirement at that school."

I tried to keep it very simple, and only do one thing per email. Otherwise, they completely screw it up. So do one course per email. Tell them the TESU course equivalency number, where they brought it in, and where you want it to go.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • High_Order1, Joeman200, mc.christi
I was asked to paste course description. Of course with the course title and school name.

I started with two phone reviews with two people.

They both.... were exceptionally lacking.

I then did an email, and lucked out on one person who has been exceptionally, incredibly helpful. I have done everything else the past two years through her.

I have thought about it, and I don't think I want to advertise this person. She's been super good to me, and I don't think she'd appreciate a torrent of emails.

Honestly, I learned more here than I ever have talking to them. My advisor contact was only really useful in very specific questions, or where I needed something specifically done.

But the phone advising they push is terrible. They kept telling me they didn't want to do email. I told them I wanted a record. (shrugs_
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

So helpful, thank you all. I will attempt email communication to see if I can answer my questions.
Amy
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
I want to say I only ever talked to a couple of people over at TESU and they were all regarding making payments for things like the residency waiver and my capstone course. Otherwise, I think everything else was via email. I'm one of those people who like to see things in writing, so emails were great. Not that every email was helpful but most were productive.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • High_Order1
(02-14-2018, 09:12 AM)rlw74 Wrote: I'm one of those people who like to see things in writing, so emails were great.

THIS!!!!!

I can NOT get people to understand this.

Everybody wants to do phone cons. Then a week goes by and I can't remember what, who, how... even my notes sometimes are unhelpful as I thought when I scribed them.

An email though, I can file that. Come back years later, and there it is in black and white, mostly (sometimes I miss or read things into things that later I see aren't there, but...)

All the education stuff I'm currently doing right now wants to talk. I wanna email. Sorry for the hijack / vent, but I was gladdened to see I'm not alone...
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I like email too. Except when people don’t read them. Then they call and ask you the question you already answered in your email. *facepalm
Amy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Advising question ndelco 11 1,728 11-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Last Post: frostedfire
  TESU academic plan/advising Mamasaphire 6 1,099 11-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Advising needed Military dnorton 9 1,524 05-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Last Post: windyart
  Gripe about emailing TESU's Academic Advising dept. tesu-acct-student 11 1,434 04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Last Post: jblackhawk
  TESC Advising - Ok to trust? mednat 5 869 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Last Post: PaintTheSunset
  Charter Oak Advising Worksheet and degree plan help shanek67 12 1,469 11-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Last Post: shanek67
  (TESC) Academic Advising issues with acceptable responsibility credit OfficerA 4 947 11-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: OfficerA
  Can someone help me make sense of my Charter Oak Advising Worksheet Mindcrime30 5 874 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Charter Oak advising worksheet. publius2k4 0 563 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Last Post: publius2k4
  Email address for TESC advising department caridan 3 1,064 01-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Last Post: cookderosa