Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention Excelsior Business Majors!
snazzlefrag Wrote:ImustStudy,

To earn a second degree, you would need 30 NEW credits beyond those credits already transcripted as part of your first degree. Also, you would need to ensure that you have fulfilled each and every requirement of your second major.

Brainstorming an MBA....

An MBA usually requires the completion of 30 (or more) graduate-level credits. Graduate credits cannot generally be tested out of by exams. Graduate credits are usually more expensive than undergrad credits. Earning an MBA would show upward educational momentum on your resume. An MBA obviously carries more prestige than a Bachelors in Business. Most MBA programs require several core business credits be completed at the undergrad level prior to beginning the MBA.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag

Thanks Rob. Good info. Brian has given me some good pointers on the master's degree route too. I think that is the way to go since it is 30 units either way. Upward and onward as they say.

As for now, I will get my head out of the clouds and finish this Bachelors..
Big Grin
Thanks.
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
ImustStudy Wrote:Upward and onward as they say.

[SIZE="2"]That's Ever Upward at EC!! Big Grin [/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Subscribed, I'll be following this thread closely, as I want to see which classes/tests can also overlap for
an AS in Business
https://www.excelsior.edu/portal/page?_p...ema=PORTAL
and a BS in MIS
since it seems my IT Certifications will cover BS MIS better than BS IT

After that, I'll look for the most inexpensive MBA solution.

Here is the tuition structure for the Excelsior MBA program https://www.excelsior.edu/pls/portal/doc...OCHURE.PDF
Hi All,

For anyone interested in working towards a degree in Business while they are completing their first degree program, here is a list of the core requirements. When completing elective CLEPs and DSSTs as part of your first degree, you should choose from the list of required subjects below (I started off aiming for a BS in Psychology and, along the way, I was able to complete almost every requirement for a second BS in Business by carefully choosing which electives I took).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Rules for a Second Degree (at Excelsior in particular):

1. 30 NEW credits above those transcripted as part of your first degree.
2. Second degree must be granted by a different 'school' than your first (Eg, School of Liberal Arts and School of Business or School of Technology and School of Nursing).
3. Each and every requirement for the second major must be met.

Required Courses/Exams for an Associates in Business:

Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Statistics
Math (College Algebra or Higher)
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing
Intro to Business Law
Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Intro to Computers (or Info Sys)
(Plus Business Electives of your choice)

Required Courses/Exams for a Bachelors in Business:

Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Statistics
Math (College Algebra or Higher)
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing
Intro to Business Law
Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Intro to Computers (or Info Sys)

Plus...
Ethics
Organizational Behavior
Principles of Finance
Operations Management
Business Policy/Strategy
(Plus Upper Level Business Electives of your choice)

I hope this helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Navy"]OK, from what I've been able to gather, the following pairs of exams have a lot of overlap between each pair.

My next question would be of the pairs listed, which 3-pair (6 exams = 18 credits; I need 17) are in terms of EASE rated as 1-4 respectively (easiest to hardest)? :confused:

[SIZE="2"]Pair 1[/SIZE]
Principles of Management CLEP
Principles of Supervision DANTES

[SIZE="2"]Pair 2[/SIZE]
Organizational Behavior DANTES
Human Resource Management DANTES

[SIZE="2"]Pair 3[/SIZE]
Introduction to Business DANTES
Introductory Business Law CLEP

[SIZE="2"]Pair 4[/SIZE]
Info Systems & Computer Applications CLEP
Introduction to Computing DANTES

[SIZE="3"]THANKS!! Big Grin [/SIZE][/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
Hi Shoto,

Intro to Business doesn't actually overlap very much with Intro to Business Law. It does overlap with Human Resource Management, Management, and Supervision though. Intro to Business is a little bit of all the usual core business subjects without going into very much depth on any one subject.

As far as your list of couplets, I don't think you would have any difficulty passing each and every one of them.

It seems that you only have the easier business subjects left to complete. The hard ones would be such subjects as Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Statistics, and Algebra. If you have already passed all of those, you will find the exams you listed up above to be easy in comparison.

You need 17 credits. That requires that you pass 6 of the above exams (18 credits). However, four of them are REQUIRED for the AS in Business.

You HAVE to take the following four exams:

Management
Organizational Behavior
Business Law I
Computers (only one is required)

You then must choose any two of the remaining exams:

Intro to Business
Supervision
Human Resource Management
Computers (whichever one you didn't already take)

Of those four, I think I would choose Supervision and Intro to Business for their simplicity.

With that in mind, I would do the following:

1. Intro to Business (it's a little bit of everything)
2. Management
3. Supervision
4. Organizational Behavior
5. Computers (either one)
6. Business Law I

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Looks like I've found the right place for informed students! I'll let you guys know as soon as I pick my program. Does it matter if I take the CLEP/DANTES before I enroll? Some of these courses sound interesting enough by themselves.
BMWGuinness Wrote:Does it matter if I take the CLEP/DANTES before I enroll?

No, in fact many students take several exams before enrollment and amass a large number of credits, then enroll and then graduate shortly thereafter.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

ShotoJuku Wrote:No, in fact many students take several exams before enrollment and amass a large number of credits, then enroll and then graduate shortly thereafter.

Oh very interesting, what is the minimum age requirement for CLEP/DANTES, I see high school students are eligible but it does not mention age.

I was going to guinea pig this program before suggesting it to my nephew, I'm setting him up with Certification Training first before he goes into High School.

These CLEP/DANTES look like so much fun, maybe I'll start with the easy ones and move into the harder ones.

EDIT- Microsoft does not have an age limit, and I noticed someone mentioned their 15 year old brother is taking CLEP exams, will find out more tomorrow.
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="2"]That's Ever Upward at EC!! Big Grin [/SIZE]

yeah, Go Globes!!hilarious
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,623 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,802 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,800 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,859 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,620 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,266 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,407 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 945 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,904 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat