Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in Math and Computer Science
Hey all. I'm currently 2 classes away from my BA in Math. I'm currently thinking about putting in my graduation application after I pass and then re-applying for a 2nd Bachelors degree in Computer Science. I've been following some ppl on here who are competing Study.com courses. So my plan is to complete as many Study.com classes. 

I took a look at my degree plan and here are the courses I would need:

COS 241 - Data Structures
Mat 270 - Discrete Math
COS 240 - Operating Systems
COS 330 - Comp. Architecture
12 credits of CS Electives (I'm interested in R, Python, and AI in electives)

-So I only need 10 classes to complete my degree. Most of these are available on Study.com

However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do this as I'm going to be already pursuing my 2nd degree in Mechanical Engineering. I would then be pursuing a 3rd degree which is kind of overkill and the reason why I'm interested in computer science is b/c I think it will be practical to have knowledge in programming. I can see it being useful to have these courses if I'm looking for an internship or even a job.

Should I just forget about it or would you say go for it?
I would delay graduation and do the CompSci at the same time. But I don't know if you need the bachelor's fast to check a box.

You only listed 7 classes (I'm counting the 12 credits as 3 classes), but said 10. Why 10?

I apologize about the last post and edited it.

I meant to say that the Computer Science classes are 3 credits each so I count them as 4 classes and not 3.
ghwang808 - you may want to clean up the last post, it's quoted three times... anyways, here's my response to your private message. However, I may delay that as I actually want to complete the BA Comp Sci with the Math concentration, it was my first choice, I just took out the Math as the courses are harder to find, I could only find two of the 5 UL I needed cheap.

"Yes, I am set to complete the BA Comp Science. I read your thread, if it's not an absolute must, you should delay the graduation for the BA Comp Sci & Math at TESU. Then start your Engineering degree in September. Which school are you applying to for the Engineering degree?"
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ok, it looks like ppl are in agreement with me obtaining the BA in Comp Sci in addition to the 2 other degrees.

Thanks guys!
> then re-applying for a 2nd Bachelors degree in Computer Science.

complete waste of time

> 2 classes away from my BA in Math.
> I'm going to be already pursuing my 2nd degree in Mechanical Engineering.

so why in the wold get a 3rd bachelors ? ?

get a freaking masters degree or graduate level certificate

> I'm interested in R, Python, and AI in electives)

WGU Masters in Data Analytics --- $3540 for 6 months --- completely self paced
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/da...ogram.html

or this online program

CUNY School Of Professional Studies
Master of Science in Data Science
30 credits

overview
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/graduate/...science-ms

go here and scroll down for curriculum
http://catalog.sps.cuny.edu/preview_prog...2&poid=607

tuition
https://sps.cuny.edu/admissions/graduate...on-2018-19

"Please note: Students in online degree programs pay the New York State tuition rate and do not need to establish residency."

the CUNY program looks MUCH more difficult but also more complete and thorough than WGU's program

or do Harvard University's Extension School online graduate level Data Science Certificate
https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...ertificate

4 courses, $11,000

I'd say this one is better than WGU, but not as complete as the CUNY one
(03-29-2019, 06:48 PM)ghwang808 Wrote: Hey all. I'm currently 2 classes away from my BA in Math. I'm currently thinking about putting in my graduation application after I pass and then re-applying for a 2nd Bachelors degree in Computer Science. I've been following some ppl on here who are competing Study.com courses. So my plan is to complete as many Study.com classes. 

I took a look at my degree plan and here are the courses I would need:

COS 241 - Data Structures
Mat 270 - Discrete Math
COS 240 - Operating Systems
COS 330 - Comp. Architecture
12 credits of CS Electives (I'm interested in R, Python, and AI in electives)

-So I only need 10 classes to complete my degree. Most of these are available on Study.com

However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do this as I'm going to be already pursuing my 2nd degree in Mechanical Engineering. I would then be pursuing a 3rd degree which is kind of overkill and the reason why I'm interested in computer science is b/c I think it will be practical to have knowledge in programming. I can see it being useful to have these courses if I'm looking for an internship or even a job.

Should I just forget about it or would you say go for it?
I'm not sure which school you're attending, but some schools don't grant third bachelor's degrees.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
TESU won't grant a third.

Actually since Study.com doesn't have Data Structures yet, CompSci might delay your graduation too much. If it were me, I wouldn't delay by more than 6 months, and maybe not even 6 months.

So depending on the cost and effort of CompSci, I'd probably go with just Math then Mech Eng. IMO you could learn some programming on the side. And have some kind of certificate/certification to show this to employers, or projects completed can be more impressive than certificate/certification.

Also, after Mech Eng you could consider getting a CompSci grad certificate, but I think it's best not to delay Mech Eng.

(03-30-2019, 07:03 AM)Ideas Wrote: TESU won't grant a third.

Actually since Study.com doesn't have Data Structures yet, CompSci might delay your graduation too much. If it were me, I wouldn't delay by more than 6 months, and maybe not even 6 months.

So depending on the cost and effort of CompSci, I'd probably go with just Math then Mech Eng. IMO you could learn some programming on the side. And have some kind of certificate/certification to show this to employers, or projects completed can be more impressive than certificate/certification.

Also, after Mech Eng you could consider getting a CompSci grad certificate, but I think it's best not to delay Mech Eng.

ghwang808
(03-30-2019, 07:03 AM)Ideas Wrote: TESU won't grant a third.

Hey Ideas, thanks. That's actually a great idea! I definitely don't want to delay graduation and I'm just going to concentrate on Mech E since that is hard enough. I'll just learn some programming and get some additional certificates on the side instead.

Bluebooger you are right. It does sound like a complete waste of time and it was just something that I was just sort of thinking about. I'm just going to concentrate on my career and Mech E 2nd degree. I actually could go for a masters next year instead.

Thanks all for the advice!
If you do decide to go with with Computer Science and need another UL class, consider taking Discrete Mathematics at Empire State College. It's pricey though. Almost $1400 for NY residents.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Taking Math Courses at TESU legenwait4itdary 5 511 02-02-2024, 12:32 PM
  BA Computer Science Final upper class to take Armstrong 17 971 01-11-2024, 01:04 AM
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Bachelor degree in Computer science fiyajou3 8 876 11-08-2023, 09:43 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Mathematics Add-On for BA in Computer Science bradonomics 31 2,057 10-24-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 3,000 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning
  Free BA Math TECEPs evenFair23 3 444 08-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore