Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BS in Psychology - Cheap and Fast (and dirty)
(11-22-2018, 04:30 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: Okay I am getting it... I think. Thanks.
Now can someone link me all the types of test other then CLEP. I don’t technically want to follow a guideline of quizzes and almost online like studying to accheve a credit ( like study.com). I just want to test out.
Also, What is the difference between going through a CLEP like thing and just going to a college and saying “ I want to test out of this class”. Thanks!

CLEP is the most widely accepted exam-based credit you can get. DSST follows a ways behind that. After those, you're looking at individual schools exams, like the TECEP exams from TESU, UExcel exams from Excelsior, and CSU-Global's CBE's. However, if you're restricting yourself just to exam based options, you will find it challenging to earn a degree since not all courses can be earned through an exam.

Not to mention, exams are great if you already know a topic well (or you are able to study the topic on your own), but if you want to learn a subject new to you, taking an online course (via Study.com or Straighterline, etc.) will allow you to learn the material while earning credit. If you're looking at one of the big 3 or a school that accepts ACE credit, then this is a perfectly reasonable option. And places like study.com offer a much wider variety of courses to complete a degree program.

As for going into to a college and saying you want to test out of the course, that is usually referred to as "challenging" a course. I did that in a couple of my courses back in CC. The difference here is that you have to make arrangements with the instructor and/or get permission from the school and just come in at the end to take the final exam. Your grade is based completely on the results of that exam. In that case, it is treated as if you took the course, there is usually no difference between a course you challenged and one you took by attending class every day.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
With the JSD's BA in Psychology link that was posted earlier, will Thomas Edison State University except most if not all of alternative credits out there, and that’s why they gave multiple opinions where to earn that credit. Thanks!
(11-22-2018, 04:48 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 04:30 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: Okay I am getting it... I think. Thanks.
Now can someone link me all the types of test other then CLEP. I don’t technically want to follow a guideline of quizzes and almost online like studying to accheve a credit ( like study.com). I just want to test out.
Also, What is the difference between going through a CLEP like thing and just going to a college and saying “ I want to test out of this class”. Thanks!

CLEP is the most widely accepted exam-based credit you can get. DSST follows a ways behind that. After those, you're looking at individual schools exams, like the TECEP exams from TESU, UExcel exams from Excelsior, and CSU-Global's CBE's. However, if you're restricting yourself just to exam based options, you will find it challenging to earn a degree since not all courses can be earned through an exam.

Not to mention, exams are great if you already know a topic well (or you are able to study the topic on your own), but if you want to learn a subject new to you, taking an online course (via Study.com or Straighterline, etc.) will allow you to learn the material while earning credit. If you're looking at one of the big 3 or a school that accepts ACE credit, then this is a perfectly reasonable option. And places like study.com offer a much wider variety of courses to complete a degree program.

As for going into to a college and saying you want to test out of the course, that is usually referred to as "challenging" a course. I did that in a couple of my courses back in CC. The difference here is that you have to make arrangements with the instructor and/or get permission from the school and just come in at the end to take the final exam. Your grade is based completely on the results of that exam. In that case, it is treated as if you took the course, there is usually no difference between a course you challenged and one you took by attending class every day.

I didn't need one Straighterline or Study.com course to complete the BSBA. The SL courses I took had exam options. I'm sure that's true for a few majors.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
why is it so expensive to take a course! Study.com is $199 a month! I can sooooo not aford that. Exspecially if I have to go to different places that are like study.com to get my credits. Do three places and you can cough up $600 a month!
Or only do one of the places at a time. MUCH MUCH cheaper than full tuition at a school. You can get 6 semester credits for that $199
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
And no one has heard of a BA in psychology that one can test out of all course classes? One of the big 3? I am noticing my only option is to:
1. Go to a traditional school, either online or in the classroom or a combination of something
2. Test out with things like CLEP and whatever full list are out there of equivalent testing outs, ( if I can find most if any of my courses to test out in.)
3. Take free range study courses that are expensive like study.com
4. Or “challenge a course” at a college like WIchita State University and wait for the finial while still paying for the class

....Am I right?
I know that $200 is a lot of money for many people. Even more people can't afford to pay $200 per month for several months. I funded many of my tests with leftover financial aid.

The average cost of a community college is $3,000 per year. If you qualify for a $5,000 Pell Grant award, then you'll be refunded $2,000. That money can be used to pay for tests.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Mysonx3- what do you mean “you can get 6 credits for that $199?” Sorry, I lost ya.
(11-22-2018, 05:25 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: why is it so expensive to take a course! Study.com is $199 a month! I can sooooo not aford that. Exspecially if I have to go to different places that are like study.com to get my credits. Do three places and you can cough up $600 a month!

It may take some creativity to fund your degree. $200/month is a lot but it is a great deal if you do complete 2 courses per month. $100 for a college course is a good deal. Paying for CLEPs, DSSTs, Uexcels, TECEPs, will average between $75-$225 per test. Taking normal college classes, can be quite a bit more. Some community colleges are as cheap as $50/credit or $150 for a course(+ textbook, fees, registration, etc). University courses will often be far more than that per course.

I would definitely look into your financial aid options.

Also, if you are looking for SUPER CHEAP. Check out:
-modern states will pay for CLEPs
-free sources of ace credit on the wiki
-saylor.org has free courses that only require that you get a proctor ($25 through the online service or free if you can get a local librarian to do it for free)
-onlinedegree.com has free courses that only require you pay their online proctor $9 per test
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • LadySearchDog, Muldoon
I just found this.... a list of testing out program I can test out of for Wichita State University . I still doubt I’ll find most if not all my courses I need to graduate. https://www.wichita.edu/academics/adult_.../index.php

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,570 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,522 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 460 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 530 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,628 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 923 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 640 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 807 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Cheap/quick/fun certs? Insert Name 10 1,336 01-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Conions
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,367 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee