Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics
(09-18-2018, 02:06 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Wow.  Excellent.  I saw that 50% off coupon and almost signed up for some classes.  Keep us updated.

I'm looking at starting these classes - I've met all the rest of the requirements so I'd just have the statistics.com classes left. Are the 50% off coupons something that happens often? Honestly, figuring out how I'd pay for the classes is the only thing holding me back (I'm a single mom of 2 kids, so not a lot of extra money).
Following this thread in case there's more info about those 50% off coupons. I still have about 6 Statistics.com courses that I need to take, so 50% off would be amazing.
I thought I would add some more info on these courses. I took Predictive Analytics 1 as my first course, and found it quite challenging. I did pass, but I was worried that I wouldn't. I'm worried about the other 2 courses in this series. I'm currently taking the SQL course and am finding it much easier.
(11-13-2018, 10:29 AM)monroe18 Wrote: I thought I would add some more info on these courses. I took Predictive Analytics 1 as my first course, and found it quite challenging. I did pass, but I was worried that I wouldn't. I'm worried about the other 2 courses in this series. I'm currently taking the SQL course and am finding it much easier.

Hey monroe18, I'm also taking the SQL course at the moment and is by far the easiest Statistics.com course I've taken so far. This is my fourth Statistics.com course, the hardest for me so far has been Regression Analysis (even harder for me than Predictive Analytics 1), but it was probably because my prior knowledge of general statistics and linear regression was almost non-existent. One thing is for sure, courses are very unbalanced, Regression Analysis took over 40 hours of reading and completing assignments while SQL will probably take no more than 8 hours of work.
I finished the SQL course and found it to be a nice, simple intro to SQL. I finished Risk Simulation, and found it very interesting. It was easier than the Predictive Analytics 1 course, but counts as graduate level credit. Go figure.

I'm almost done with the Intro to Python course. I've found it quite challenging, but I went in with zero Python exposure. Has anyone here taken the Optimization-Linear Programming course? I'm considering signing up for that one next.
Hi All,

Anyone successfully completed BS Data Analytics?

How was the overall experience?

Do we need to pay residency waiver (2200$) for this program?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

Just saw some people posting about doing the WGU degree. My advise is DON'T it's a total waste of money. My wife is doing it and it is horrible unless you are already in the biz and doing the work, then you would prob be fine. They make you take an oracle exam and the materials are junk. The professor tells you to "go on the web and find more training" . Then what the F#%K are we paying for? So dissapointed in the program. Should have just done codecademy and Udacity nanodegree on her own. Should have checked here first, I didnt know about the TESU option.
TESC BSBA CIS
WGU MS Information Security and Assurance

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra - College Algebra - Intro to Stats

CLEP
A&I Lit - Principles of Management - Principles of Marketing - Business Law - Macro - Micro - Into to Sociology - SS & H - Humanities - English Comp

DSST
Principles of Supervision - Intro to computers - Intro to Business - MIS - Business Ethics - HR Management - Intro to Law Enforcement - Environment and Humanity - Tech Writing - Human Cultural Geography - Principles of Financial Accounting - Ethics in America - Principals of Finance

SL
Business Communications - Acct. II - Intro to C++

Penn Foster
Strategic Management

TESC
Networking Technologies - TECEP
Systems A and D

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone, IT Professionals

Microsoft
MS Virtualization - 70-659

Free-electives - Private Pilot
[-] The following 1 user Likes stretcharmy's post:
  • akr680
(06-14-2019, 09:40 AM)stretcharmy Wrote: Just saw some people posting about doing the WGU degree.  My advise is DON'T it's a total waste of money.  My wife is doing it and it is horrible unless you are already in the biz and doing the work, then you would prob be fine.  They make you take an oracle exam and the materials are junk.  The professor tells you to "go on the web and find more training" . Then what the F#%K are we paying for?   So dissapointed in the program.  Should have just done codecademy and Udacity nanodegree on her own.  Should have checked here first, I didnt know about the TESU option.

the udacity nanodegree or equivalent knowledge is a prerequisite for entry into the WGU program -- so yes, your wife should have done that 

I don't have a problem with the professor telling you go to the web and find more training -- that is how real life works in the IT world -- you search reddit, stackoverflow, google, msdn, ms technet when you need help 

every school makes you buy a book or has recommended books -- the WGU's material for the oracle exam isn't good enough for you then go to oracle's site and see what kind of training they recommend for similar topics  
https://education.oracle.com/oracle-data...am_1Z0-071 
or go buy something from amazon 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1259585492 

if you think the TESU course if going to be any different then you totally wrong 
I've taken courses directly from statistics.com and there is no way to pass some of the courses without searching outside resources 
their "Predictive Analytics - Python" sequence used a book that was originally written to be used with R, but was in the process of being updated to python -- so I had to search around for help -- and the amount of instructor interaction was less than ... well, it was almost non-existent 

but at least it was more interaction than I got with udacity (I did the nanodegree in AI programming with python) 
udacity's "mentors" were a complete waste of time --- people would post questions in the message boards and 3 days later still receive no answer  
we students helped each other way more than the mentors helped anyone 

"unless you are already in the biz and doing the work,"  --- this is the only thing I really agree with, but I also believe its the same for TESU or any school that offers a masters in data science or data analytics 

people think they can go from school teacher to data analyst or some other career change --- and that's just not going to happen -- even wtih a TESU degree  
you might be able to change from nurse to data analyst in a hospital, but that's only because they usually prefer someone who has clinical experience and understand the "business" process
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • quigongene, Sapientes
(06-14-2019, 01:58 AM)akr680 Wrote: Hi All,

Anyone successfully completed BS Data Analytics?

How was the overall experience?

Do we need to pay residency waiver (2200$) for this program?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Because I only needed the cornerstone from TESU, I had to pay the residency waiver.
[-] The following 1 user Likes spdy's post:
  • akr680
(06-14-2019, 10:22 AM)bluebooger Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:40 AM)stretcharmy Wrote: Just saw some people posting about doing the WGU degree.  My advise is DON'T it's a total waste of money.  My wife is doing it and it is horrible unless you are already in the biz and doing the work, then you would prob be fine.  They make you take an oracle exam and the materials are junk.  The professor tells you to "go on the web and find more training" . Then what the F#%K are we paying for?   So dissapointed in the program.  Should have just done codecademy and Udacity nanodegree on her own.  Should have checked here first, I didnt know about the TESU option.

the udacity nanodegree or equivalent knowledge is a prerequisite for entry into the WGU program -- so yes, your wife should have done that 

I don't have a problem with the professor telling you go to the web and find more training -- that is how real life works in the IT world -- you search reddit, stackoverflow, google, msdn, ms technet when you need help 

every school makes you buy a book or has recommended books -- the WGU's material for the oracle exam isn't good enough for you then go to oracle's site and see what kind of training they recommend for similar topics  
https://education.oracle.com/oracle-data...am_1Z0-071 
or go buy something from amazon 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1259585492 

if you think the TESU course if going to be any different then you totally wrong 
I've taken courses directly from statistics.com and there is no way to pass some of the courses without searching outside resources 
their "Predictive Analytics - Python" sequence used a book that was originally written to be used with R, but was in the process of being updated to python -- so I had to search around for help -- and the amount of instructor interaction was less than ... well, it was almost non-existent 

but at least it was more interaction than I got with udacity (I did the nanodegree in AI programming with python) 
udacity's "mentors" were a complete waste of time --- people would post questions in the message boards and 3 days later still receive no answer  
we students helped each other way more than the mentors helped anyone 

"unless you are already in the biz and doing the work,"  --- this is the only thing I really agree with, but I also believe its the same for TESU or any school that offers a masters in data science or data analytics 

people think they can go from school teacher to data analyst or some other career change --- and that's just not going to happen -- even wtih a TESU degree  
you might be able to change from nurse to data analyst in a hospital, but that's only because they usually prefer someone who has clinical experience and understand the "business" process

The nanodegree is only a prerequisite for the master's program. It's not listed as one of the admissions options for the undergraduate program. 

In response to stretcharmy, WGU does not have professors. Competency-based programs don't have real teachers. You teach yourself or ask for help from other students. You get what you pay for. The tuition is dirt cheap because they don't pay for instructors with manageable class sizes.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP