Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted!
This might fix it for you: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msof...1983c92b71
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi,

I just wanted to provide an update and a word of warning to others. I went from being 100% certain I would receive an A in this course to getting a D in an instant, which almost cost me the opportunity to graduate in September as planned.

I turned in my final project the day before the due date.  (July 21st vs. July 22nd)

On Monday of this week I received an email. It stated that my Audit Was Complete but I did not have the needed 2.0 TESU GPA. This was strange because I only completed one course at TESU, the BUS-421 Capstone. My grades for the Case Studies and Discussions are 96 and 98 respectively, and a 90 for the Mid-Term. I hadn't viewed my score for the final project, but I was not expecting anything less than an A overall at this point.

So, I logged into where I normally see the feedback and my grade.  The normal feedback was there but there was something I hadn't seen before.  It said something like because you didn't turn in your similarity report, your grade has been reduced to Zero.

Please understand that I was reading this at 6:00 in the morning.  I sat there with my mouth open reading it over and over.  I had never heard of a similarity report before.

For those of you reading this thinking I am an idiot, please understand that all of my other course work was either study.com or B&M schools from many years ago.  I thought I was using this so-called Turnitin feature every time I submitted an assignment.  I just didn't even stop to think that the final project would be different than the rest.  YES, I should have read the syllabus more closely, but this class didn't have any interaction with the instructor or other students. I never even gave this a thought.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about and are trying to understand this line of thought, KNOW THIS...The final project has to be put through a scanning software to attempt to detect either too much copying from text or outright plagiarism. It actually produces a PDF version of your Word Document with highlights showing were it detected copying such as citing from research. This would have been hugely helpful to have for all of my other assignments. A few times I was dinged for not citing everything.  This PDF document is what you actually submit and not your normal word document.

So, there I am with really good grades for everything throughout the course and a Zero on the final assignment which I turned in on time and worked my butt off on.

I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.  My wife immediately said, "If they don't work with you, it is scam to get more money."  Yes, she loves me unconditionally and I can only do wrong when it is against her. Smile

I immediately emailed the professor both directly and through the Private Student/Mentor portal.  My wife looked up the meaning of a similarity report. When she described it to me, I realized Turnitin was something different than what I had been doing.  I figured out how to get my paper scanned and re-submitted my project with just the smallest amount of hope the professor and the school would work with me.

The professor responded to me that the Final Grades were submitted, but he would reach out to the Dean to see what, if anything, could be  done. 

I waited for what felt like eternity, which was only a few hours, for a response from someone.  I heard back from the Assistant Dean with this quote, "I’m not sure how you wouldn’t have known that this was required since this is noted at the top of the page in the syllabus under the Final Project assignment instructions."  At this point, I am thinking I will have to retake the course, right another 13 papers and take another mid-term exam and push graduation back until September.  Not to mention paying for another course.

As I kept reading, I see the second important quote, "At any rate, we will make an exception and permit the originality report to be submitted late.  Please submit it to the course space and the mentor will be asked to grade the assignment so that it can be included with the final course grade."

They didn't even reduce my grade. I received a 97 for the project and an A for the course. It was like hitting the lottery, not that I have experience with that, but it is what I imagine it feels like. Smile

I then emailed the person who sent me the results of my audit to which she responded, thanks for letting me know, I will review your record again for the September 2018 Graduation.

I am still waiting for the official, OFFICIAL word that the audit is done, but I am confident I am all set.

If you are still reading at this point, THANK YOU and PLEASE be sure to read the syllabus and understand not only the assignment requirements but how to submit them to ensure proper credit and grading!

Thank You to everyone in this community and a special thank you to TESU for understanding that a 45 year old college student doesn't necessarily understand the need for or the tools for detecting plagiarism.

Have a great weekend.

Gloddy
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
[-] The following 3 users Like Gloddy's post:
  • acamp, Jdesign, kietro
Oh the horror! Oh the suspense! I was reading this and was so anxious to find the results at the bottom... Hopefully, your wife has some good words for you other than... ok, we won't get there. GOOD WORK, you made an A!

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Gloddy
I almost made that same mistake! I thought all the assignments were automatically run through turnitin, like how StraighterLine does it. I only noticed it a few days before submitting. Glad you were able to get it sorted out. Congrats on finishing!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tolpeko's post:
  • Gloddy
Thanks. I am still nervous because I haven't received an email stating my audit is complete.

However, when I look at my academic evaluation I see the information below. Do either of you know if this means I am all set officially?  If so, can I send my transcripts to my employer or do I have to wait the date listed below?

Program Summary: (Complete)
!! Exception: Credit overage in Electives, take 120.66

Semester Hours (SH) Required: 120.66
SH Applied to Degree: 120.66
SH Remaining: 0.00
SH To Be Planned: 0.00
Thomas Edison State University GPA Needed: 2.000
Thomas Edison State University GPA Earned: 4.000
Overall Degree GPA Needed: 2.000
Overall Degree GPA Requirement Met: Yes
Community College SH (80 SH Maximum): 3.00

Prior Degrees:
Degree: BS in Business Administration
Date: 09/14/18
Institution: Thomas Edison State Univ

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
Hey Gloddy, I think it's perfectly fine if you send them the transcript now. The date just indicates when it's going to be conferred.

If you are looking to move up in the company or department, sure - I would recommend sending them anything you have for now. If there is no internal posting that you're going for, then there is no need.

It all is dependent on the need, if it's for a raise, do it, if not and it can wait, send it to them after you have an email confirming graduation - or even as late as when you have the physical parchment.

(08-05-2018, 11:07 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey Gloddy, I think it's perfectly fine if you send them the transcript now.  The date just indicates when it's going to be conferred.

If you are looking to move up in the company or department, sure - I would recommend sending them anything you have for now.  If there is no internal posting that you're going for, then there is no need.  

It all is dependent on the need, if it's for a raise, do it, if not and it can wait, send it to them after you have an email confirming graduation - or even as late as when you have the physical parchment.

Thanks.  In my role, we are required to give clients a disclosure with our education on the first page. I would love to be able to get this changed to include my undergrad.  I also need it in order to use a professional designation I completed last year. You can complete the education requirements but are unable to use the credentials until you have a degree from an accredited school.

At this point, I should just be patient, but waiting is not easy.

Gloddy

Still Need:
N/A

B&M Schools

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,299 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,975 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,803 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,539 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,622 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,153 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138