Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Offered Online Courses in 1987
(12-04-2017, 12:03 PM)jsd Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:33 AM)KenJ Wrote: If anyone on this forum was transported back in time to 1987, the chance of them taking this class was slim to none 

I don't think the point was that it was a popular or easily accessible option for average people, but that it was an innovative early example of such an option.

I took exception to the word "offering." It was more like "had." So yes, they "had" an experimental online class. 

I'm not disparaging TESU in any way.
USNY Regents College - BS Liberal Arts (Concentration in Sociology) 1987
Very cool. They could have used Gopher, FTP, and newsgroups to conduct the courses. They were already doing correspondence courses, and using a different delivery wouldn't have been too tough.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
SMTP was also well established at that point.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

"Between the beginning of 1986 and the end of 1987 the number of networks grows from 2,000 to nearly 30,000."

Just because a technology exists, doesn't mean it's available to the masses. Nobody had personal, home internet connection back in 1987. Only people in certain "sectors" took these first courses. I don't want people to get the impression that online courses were somehow available, or even an option, to the average person in 1987. They were not. Not by a long shot.
(12-04-2017, 02:10 PM)KenJ Wrote: "Between the beginning of 1986 and the end of 1987 the number of networks grows from 2,000 to nearly 30,000."

Just because a technology exists, doesn't mean it's available to the masses. Nobody had personal, home internet connection back in 1987. Only people in certain "sectors" took these first courses. I don't want people to get the impression that online courses were somehow available, or even an option, to the average person in 1987. They were not. Not by a long shot.

i don't think that's the claim anyone is making.

`

(12-04-2017, 12:29 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Does it say the name of the college courses taught?  How many took them?

"Fittingly, the first course offered was 'The Adult Years: Continuity and Change,' and 15 students were enrolled."

https://www.tesu.edu/campusuite25/modules/news.cfm?seo_file=University-Celebrates-30-Years-of-Online-Course-Delivery&grp_id=23530
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The claim was made that they have "offered" online courses since 1987. I am fully aware that they have had online courses since then, but they were not offered to the general student population.

The best way to put it:

"Most people taking an online course in 1987 would be like giving a caveman a fkn lighter." (and by most, I mean just about everyone).
So... the course was offered to the 15 people who were enrolled in that first class. That's still an offering, even if it was to a limited pool of people. This is a very odd semantics argument.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
(12-04-2017, 03:44 PM)KenJ Wrote: The claim was made that they have "offered" online courses since 1987. I am fully aware that they have had online courses since then, but they were not offered to the general student population.

The best way to put it:

"Most people taking an online course in 1987 would be like giving a caveman a fkn lighter." (and by most, I mean just about everyone).

I have to agree. In late 1990s, I sat on a committee with Eastern Iowa Community College District - the largest CC district in Iowa, as we discussed a HUGE grant that we got and were going to share with the second largest CC district in Iowa - DesMoines CC. With the grant, the colleges were going to LINK TOGETHER using Fiber Optics and tv monitors to display a teacher from 1 campus across all the connected campuses in real time. This was groundbreaking technology. This tech would be available to our district at only 1 of our campuses, and in only 1 of our rooms- we went about the task of debating and discussing which department would get to offer a class this way. These course offerings were listed in an independent catalog offered by the *new* Iowa Community College Consortium. It was badass. Number of students to jumped at this new technology? Not many. Most were worried that it wouldn't transfer. That was the start of our own personal "online learning" that was more accurately distance learning.
This is a 2-prong problem. (1) is the technology - which TESC (not TESU) claims to have had available, which is great. (2) Early Adopters / Lighthouse technology. This market segment is already small, now filter by those who would have interest in taking a college course, those who would pay for it, and those who would have known about it.
My money says those 15 students friends and family and paid nada.
(12-04-2017, 04:59 PM)jsd Wrote: So... the course was offered to the 15 people who were enrolled in that first class. That's still an offering, even if it was to a limited pool of people. This is a very odd semantics argument.

This is ultimately all that matters. TESU made a credible claim. It doesn't matter how many people were able to take the course. TESU didn't claim that it was accessible to the masses. TESU offered an online course to 15 people in the 1980s, which was highly innovative and helped push distance education forward. This thread is turning into whether or not a large group of people could ride on an airplane with the Wright Brothers.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, jsd, quigongene
(12-04-2017, 02:10 PM)KenJ Wrote: "Between the beginning of 1986 and the end of 1987 the number of networks grows from 2,000 to nearly 30,000."

I was staying out of this until that statement.

I know for a fact I did.

Besides a GEnie and CompuServe account, I *think* I had a micronet account prior to that.

Apparently, someone did:

https://www.wired.com/2009/09/0924compuserve-launches/

Now, I was a kid, and we fought for telephone time, so I had to go to the local community college and sneak time on their cluster, but it was available. And, I took a class there sort of on the computer, to learn how to use the thing. So, I don't feel it was as cut and dry as you remember it.

The device I used most, besides kludged together items, was a commodore VIC-20. That was on the shelf in 1980, and I know because it was a Christmas gift, and I still clearly recall standing in (circuit city?) lusting after the timex-sinclair 1000!

In that box was a free month on CompuServe, and I still remember the password: vowelli-unable. I was ten. For younger people, it had no hard drive, no monitor (you hooked it to a teevee), no wifi, no nothing! Eventually they figured out how to pervert a tape recorder (google it) into a storage medium, and you could buy an add on that allowed you to hook it to a home telephone line (also google this).

If you don't believe me, I bet that thing is still in a closet at my Mom's...
[/url]
[url=https://www.wired.com/2009/09/0924compuserve-launches/]
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,017 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,682 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,155 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,688 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,750 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,370 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,618 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,341 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,401 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,877 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore