Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelors in Computer Science Plan
Your location: Ontario, Canada
What kind of degree do you want?: Second Bachelors in Computer Science. I am stuck between TESU or WGU. I have applied to both schools and have gotten my undergraduate bachelors degree from a Canadian university evaluated for transfer credits. While waiting for my degree to be evaluated for transfer credits, I got started on Sophia and straighterline courses. 

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS CREDITS:
Sophia credits:
  • Communication at Work
  • English Composition I
  • Introduction to Information Technology
  • Introduction to Relational Databases
  • Introduction to Web Development
  • Project Management

Straighterline credits:
  • American Government in progress

WGU
I like WGU’s competency-based style but I’m disappointed at how few of my undergrad credits transferred over. The enrolment counsellor said they would accept Canadian applicants. After my transcript was evaluated, they wanted me to re-take calculus because it has been more than 5 years. I really do not want to take that again. Only 6 classes transferred from my previous bachelors degree, for gen eds. 
I took some sophia courses and plan on working through straighterline and study.com (5 courses most likely) which would total 58 credits being able to transfer. 122 CU are required for their BS CS therefore I would enter the program with 64 credits left to complete, which is roughly 50% through the program. 

TESU
A lot was waived as a second bachelor degree student, only 9 SH transferred over. I would have about 30% of the degree left to complete (about 12 courses). They have waived general education (45 credits) and electives (30 credits). 

9 SH that transferred over were under the 45 credits in the Area of Study section:
  • Mat231 Calculus I – 3 SH 
  • Natural sciences, math, computer science electives -  6 SH
 This leaves me with about 12 courses left to complete:
  • 3 SH capstone 
  • 5 SH required computer science courses. I would follow degreeforum’s sample CS plan and take the 5 study.com courses recommended: Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming, Computer Science 201: Data Structures & Algorithms, Math 108: Discrete Mathematics, Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems, Computer Science 306: Computer Architecture
  • 18 SH computer science electives. 4 upper level: unsure which ones I’ll take exactly from degreeforum’s sample CS plan. I would look into Oregon State U before taking more from study.com. 2 lower level: Sophia - Introduction to Information Technology; Straighterline - Introduction to Programming in C++ - CS101

Should I pursue TESU or WGU for CS? 

If TESU is the way to go, what 4 upper level computer science electives would you guys recommend? There are so many options available on the degreeforum sample degree BA CS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teabula's post:
  • bluebooger
A lot of schools will have students retake math courses that are over 5 years old. I ran into that repeatedly when I was looking to complete my bachelor's degree. What was your first bachelor's in?
My (simple) opinion:

If you think you can do WGU in 6 months, go with them. If it will take you longer than that, do TESU.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • Teabula
(03-30-2022, 01:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: A lot of schools will have students retake math courses that are over 5 years old. I ran into that repeatedly when I was looking to complete my bachelor's degree. What was your first bachelor's in?

I guess it's understandable, I just do not like calculus. My undergrad was unrelated - psychology and neuroscience.
Keep in mind the unconfirmed rumors from TESU advisors (who are often wrong) stating that many CompSci courses, including OSes, Data & Algorithms, and Computer Arch, won't be accepted if completed after 4/15. We've heard similar rumors that ended up being wrong, so grain of salt, but we've also seen other CompSci SDC courses not accepted by TESU. Could go either way, and we have multiple advisors saying it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
What degree do you have already? You said this is your degree? So why are you messing with gen eds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • awildstudentappeared
I agree; not sure why you're messing with stuff like American Government when you already have a degree.

Assuming that everything continues to be accepted at TESU, I would recommend these courses for UL credit:
Computer Architecture @ SDC
System Analysis & Design @ SDC
Database Management @ SDC
Management Information Systems @ SDC
Software Engineering @ TESU (as part of a 16-credit term)

Because you have a prior degree, it might be marginally cheaper to do the Network Technology TECEP and pay the residency waiver fee, but the TECEP is reportedly quite difficult and you could have to take it multiple times to pass.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • LevelUP
(03-30-2022, 02:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I agree; not sure why you're messing with stuff like American Government when you already have a degree.

Assuming that everything continues to be accepted at TESU, I would recommend these courses for UL credit:
Computer Architecture @ SDC
System Analysis & Design @ SDC
Database Management @ SDC
Management Information Systems @ SDC
Software Engineering @ TESU (as part of a 16-credit term)

Because you have a prior degree, it might be marginally cheaper to do the Network Technology TECEP and pay the residency waiver fee, but the TECEP is reportedly quite difficult and you could have to take it multiple times to pass.
Thanks for the recommendation! I was taking some gen eds  at the time because I was thinking of WGU BS CS. If I do WGU, I would need those specific gen eds.
WGU also waives gen eds to with a prior degree

I'd recommend checking out the WGU BS CS transfer guide:

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCS.aspx
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I would probably go with TESU since you can save so much time doing a degree there based on what you already have.

You should do Intro to Programming at SDC because it completes 50% of Data Structures when you finish the Intro to Programming course. Also, the Data Structures assignment is in Java.

I would do the SDC courses in this order:
Operating Systems
Management Information Systems
System Analysis & Design
Database Management
Discrete Math
Intro Programming
Data Structures
Computer Arch.

There is a 3-month SDC discount of $140 per month.

Also, decide if you want to take a crack at doing the Network Tech or so Software Engineering at TESU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • awildstudentappeared, Teabula

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 587 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 200 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 350 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,069 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 297 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  BS in Computer Science Clmouss 5 278 04-01-2024, 12:36 AM
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 212 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA