Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back in states
Made another run to El Salvador, this time for some dental work and stayed down there 6 days. Got to see alot more this time, volcanos and beautiful drives up the mountains. Great food, was with wife too, got her teeth all done. I guess I preferred to give my money to the economy of ES instead of giving it all away to a dentist here that charges 90 percent more of the cost than what they charge down in ES. 25 bucks for tooth fillings, they charge 160 bucks for a root canal, 150 bucks for crown. Not saying this is for everyone. I have flight priveledges, hotel discounts, plus I do speak the Spanish language. And you need to be able to take some time down there. There are eco-friendly dental tours there too and getting more popular.
29palms Wrote:I guess I preferred to give my money to the economy of ES instead of giving it all away to a dentist here that charges 90 percent more of the cost than what they charge down in ES. 25 bucks for tooth fillings, they charge 160 bucks for a root canal, 150 bucks for crown.
I agree totally -- but I think your math is 'way off.

Did you maybe mean 900% more? 90% more would mean fillings in U.S. at $47.50, crowns at $285. We both know that's not the case.

900% more in the US sounds more like reality than 90%. Saying the Salvadorean dentist charges 90% less than his/her US counterpart would be accurate. Saying the US dentist charges 90% more would not.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your trip. Here's to many more!

Johann
I don't know. Would it be right if I said that U.S. dentist charge 10 times more than Salvadorean dentist? So I was figuring that 90 percent of 100 equals 10 correct? So you say it isn't correct to say that U.S. dentist charge 10 times more than Salvadorean dentist? I'm a bit lost or need to definately hit aleks sooner than later. I suppose Salvadorean dentist charges about 90 percent less than USA dentist. It seems that way from the way I was quoted for certain services here in the states. But most can't do this, and it takes effort especially for non-spanish speakers.
29palms Wrote:Would it be right if I said that U.S. dentist charge 10 times more than Salvadorean dentist?
Yes- it would be about right, from your examples.

29palms Wrote:So I was figuring that 90 percent of 100 equals 10 correct?
No - that's (partly) where you went wrong. 90 percent of 100 equals 90 - not 10.

29palms Wrote:So you say it isn't correct to say that U.S. dentist charge 10 times more than Salvadorean dentist?
No - that IS substantially correct, going by your examples. What's wrong is to say a US dentist charges 90 percent more. US dentist (in your examples) appears to charge 900% more than - or 1,000% of the El Salvador price.

Your words were "dentist here that charges 90% more." As I just said, he charges MUCH more than 90% over the El Salvador price. "Dentist here that charges 9 or 10 times the price" might have been more appropriate.

29palms Wrote:I suppose Salvadorean dentist charges about 90 percent less than USA dentist.
Exactly right. Caution: when you turn it around, that does NOT mean the US dentist charges 90% MORE. That's where the error was.

BTW - Your math interpretation error doesn't mean anything. You're one VERY smart guy. After all -- you found good dental work, saved thousands --and had a good time too. Kudos to you!! You know your way around! Smile

Johann
Thank you for the complement. Yes, its been a while playing around with percentages.
And its not a matter of being smart. It's more a matter of being rebelioius to the system that constantly shoves it to you. I'm sticking it to THE MAN!!! I refuse to pay all that money to the dentist when I can roll the dice in a third world country and get just as good dental care and at the same moment, enjoy a different scenario. I got to see neat volcanos, and lakes, tropical rainforest and mountains, stayed in fancy hotels. (Again, I can do this for I fly for free, I work for airlines for many years I've been doing this. Plus I speak the lingo.) Let me re-phrase. No exhorbant dental cost anymore for me bro! I get to stick it to the man this time instead of me getting stuck!!!
29palms Wrote:And its not a matter of being smart. It's more a matter of being rebelioius to the system that constantly shoves it to you.
I think it's both. Definitely smart -- you gave your wife a nice vacation, didn't you? Pleasing one's spouse is always a smart thing to do! Smile

I'm making ZERO recommendations here - I know the lingo (somewhat) but not the University system. Here's a link to all the Salvadorean Universities..and sub-links to each school's web-page. Maybe you can "stick it to the man" once again. I have no idea of the cost, how much distance-ed is available, or what a US NACES-member evaluator would make of the degrees. Might be a good (and potentially money-saving) homework assignment for you to take a look. ¡Buena suerte, amigo! Smile

Universities in Salvador (Public and Private College List)

Johann
hehehe....now you get it. Yes, sticking it to the man is the name of the game. I'm sure some universities are nice down there, but that is the furthest thing from my mind. I would consider other schools in other countries, and their college system is probably very good. Good for THEM living down there. I never attended Spanish speaking schools therefore, I would have some hell of a time doing college in Spanish for definately. I know Philippines has some very good colleges, and in English some of them too. But very cool and interesting list. I think I'll keep it Dental for the most part with El Salvador for now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mandate for professions in several states bjcheung77 4 728 01-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Easiest States/Territories to Become a Licensed Psychologist sanantone 0 22,701 10-13-2021, 11:31 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Back pain exercises (PRO) - FREE bjcheung77 2 1,278 01-20-2021, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Rexona
  Happy Monday, October 12 - Columbus Day 2020 in United States! bjcheung77 4 966 10-30-2020, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Seagull
  States Investing the Most (and Least) in Higher Education Life Long Learning 6 1,682 01-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Happiest States sanantone 0 766 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Personality types and those who go back to school Ideas 25 3,617 06-18-2018, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Life_One
  I'm back baby! ryoder 6 2,678 11-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sagan
  total eclipse in the United States clep3705 7 1,555 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: eriehiker