Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad economy = no more ramen noodles
Mirkman -- take a look at this other thread currently running on this site:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesc.html
There was a time, back when I was a young struggling just divorced single mom, when I could make a meal for my daughter and I out of Ramen and a can of soup or some other cheap variant just to make it look different. It was very cheap and it could make things stretch a little further.

Now it is something cheap I can throw at my sons when they say I'm hungry an hour after scarfing down 2-3 helpings of a 3 course meal.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Yes, we would do anything for our kids. The main reason I'm finishing school is because of my 5 year old daughter. I want to show her the importance of an education at an early age so she can carry it with her through adolescence and adulthood, something I didn't do.

I've had to scale down my lifestyle tenfold. But this experience has given me a hard and invaluable lesson on humility.

Therefore, no more ramen for me, can't afford to get sick. As far as I know there is no cure for the infamous "Ramen Disease", worse thant H1N1. LOL!
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Back in the energy crisis and recession of the 1970's (while my husband was laid off for two years from the late, great General Motors) I could make supper for four from a box of generic mac and cheese (remember the plain box with the green stripe?) a can of generic tuna, a can of generic cream of mushroom soup (do you see a pattern here?) and a can of generic peas. If we felt particularly rich, topped with crushed potato chips.
Fills all of a poor womans daily requirement of vitamin C- Comfort, Carbs and Calories.
Ramen noodles were an exotic delicacy in the small town midwest.Confusedmilelol:
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
Try boil one box of elbow macaroni, add one can of tuna, chopped onions and/or celery if you have them, add a can of sweet peas, mayo, and season with salt and pepper, and some paprika.

This gets better the second day and fills a lot of bellies.

This goes back to before you could buy ramen noodles and is quite yummy.
We have all been in the same boat at one time or another. I used to say my mother knew a million different ways to make a cheap can of tuna fill a family of four. (Of course even she admits a cheap can of Tuna isn't cheap and it isn't Tuna anymore)

Right now I have all three of my adult children under my roof and only my daughter has a steady job. So I am reading all of these recipes and getting lots of ideas. Big Grin

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, maybe when we get through this economic crisis and things start picking up again, more people will appreciate what they have and stop being so wasteful.:patriot:
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Since so many are on a budget, here is a great and affordable recipe book: Taste of Home: Dinner on a Dime

Amazon.com: Taste of Home: Dinner on a Dime: 403 Budget-Friendly Family Recipes (9780898217070): Taste of Home: Books

Better yet, go directly to the Taste of Home website and get your recipes for free:

Budget Recipes | Taste of Home Recipes

Enter whatever main ingredient in as a key word and allow enough time to look through everything.

:coolgleam:
Zatarain's Jambalaya mix is a favorite of mine, mixed with Johnsonville hot Italian sausage. 5 bucks or so will provide about 3-4 meals for me, and the leftover sausage goes into breakfast burritos. Big Grin Not exactly pauper food, but cheaper than eating out every day.

I made some good lentil soup the other day as well! That was certainly cheap to make, good protein and vitamin content, and makes A TON of food.
Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

I substituted turmeric for the saffron, because honestly: who the hell can afford saffron??
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Ummmm. Long time since I've had lentil soup and it is so good.

Thanks,
I used to enjoy lots of Maruchan ramen-in-a-cup, but I've had to cut back on the salt the last few years, so bye bye ramen. . .