Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginning my journey
First post here, I have been reading up around here for a bit, and have started my journey towards my BALS with TESU. 

I am starting fresh, with no previous credits. I am starting out by knocking out all the free sources of credit listed on the "Free Source of Credit" Wiki page. So far I have completed free The Institutes Ethics course, and the three free TEEX Cybersecurity courses, and have them put into my ACE account. After looking into the National Fire Academy course that is listed, it says it is not ACE credit recommended, has this changed or is it still something I should be taking?

I am following this degree plan (attached below) that I found within the forums. Is this still up to date and current?

Also, I have read around that some say I should wait to apply for TESU untill I am half way through my credits, and some say to just sign up right away, what course of action should I take regarding this?

Any other tips and recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone for all the information.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 44 KB / Downloads: 15)
TESU - BALS 114/120
Congrats and good luck on your journey. As far as NFA, the course listed on the wiki is still valid until the end of September:

Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators (Q0118)

Credit Type:
Course
ACE Course Number:
Organization:
National Emergency Training Center (NFA)
Length:
17.5 hours
Dates Offered:
5/1/2000 - 9/30/2018
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • coldseal
I always encourage folks to apply as soon as they are ready to commit to the process. Now is a good time since TESU makes catalog changes in July. Applying now will get you locked into the current catalog. You will then have up to a year to take some course or TECEP to become enrolled. If you're moving quickly, that course can be your capstone, otherwise there are plenty of TECEPs that you could use in your degree plan.

I found it very motivating to see courses get fitted into the official academic plan. Since Study.com will send free transcripts to TESU, there's no reason not to send them in fairly often. Same thing for CLEP and DSST exams which can be sent in for free as you take them, so long as you've applied.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • coldseal, Yenisei
Thank you for the information. I have completed all the free courses, and am now going to work on my first General Ed Intellectual and Practice skills courses,
and move on from there, how do I choose the best place to take these courses, SL/Study.com/CLEP/TECEP.
TESU - BALS 114/120
The best way to choose is to try them all. Apply for the study.com guardian scholarship. You won't get it until June as the entry period has ended for this month.
Sign up for Shmoop, Straighter line, etc. Your strategy has to be based on your time commitment, and available funds.

I have tried every format. Sophia, SL, Shmoop, Study.com, free classes, etc. My favorite by far is Study.com due to the weighting of the content vs exam, and I actually learn using it.

Shmoop while the most incredible way to earn a ton of cheap credits, is horrible and frustrating. But if you can even get 3 LL out of it in a mo the you're ahead of the game for $88 (-10% if you're a public servant.)

Straighterline is my go to because I'm very comfortable with their system and format. I've earned 36 units there.

I don't like in person exams because I get social and exam anxiety which causes all sorts of issues. At home proctoring is my thing because it's on my terms and I like that.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • coldseal
Also if you have a CLEP testing center close to where you live - you can take them for free if you go through Modern States https://modernstates.org/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • coldseal
I decided to to start with Shmoop, and get as many done as I can within the first month as it is a good price. I currently have decided on these courses, any recommendations?
Psychology 101
History of Technology
Human Sexuality
The Bible as Literature
TESU - BALS 114/120
Don't let your experience with Shmoop scare you away from other providers. Many people hate Shmoop.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Johmford
I could not successfully complete a single shmoop course, but i have passed plenty of similar CLEP and DSST.

So if you find it to be utter garbage don't worry! You are not alone.

I recommend doing as many DSST as you can because they seem to be easier to study for compared to CLEP which I found to contain questions on information that was not covered in the REA books or flashcards or anywhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • coldseal
I have a question regarding multiple courses of similar subject. If I were to take Psychology 101 through shmoop, and then other psychology courses through Study.com, would any of them overlap and not give me credit?
TESU - BALS 114/120

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  My Journey: TESU BSBA Ideas 197 52,671 04-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Last Post: sarg123
  originalamyj Journey to BA in English from TESU originalamyj 40 7,096 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  My journey to my TESU BSBA degree BearEDU 6 1,714 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Last Post: BearEDU
  Start of my Journey. oniflednitsua 5 1,301 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Graduation Journey Ideas 12 3,006 12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  DocMarvin's Journey to AA GenStudies and BSAST in Technical Studies docmarvin 25 4,536 11-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  My Journey to TESU BSBA GM - Advice/encouragement welcome! Gymfan15 31 6,840 10-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Hello!Starting at ZERO credits and beginning my journey to a TESU Bachelors Degree. Primus 36 4,203 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS Beginning Algebra OakLakeNC 1 616 09-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Last Post: learflyer