Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Online College Algebra class?
hunger4god Wrote:TA only works if the course is in your degree plan. I'm done with my req's for B.S. so there's no way for me to use TA for that course. I have to pay for it. That's a nasty little secret about military tuition assistance. If you want or need a class outside of your specific degree plan filed with goArmyed you are out of luck on getting the Army to pay. The only other options are to use your G.I.Bill or pay out of pocket.

You need to smooth talk your education counselor and get a course enrollment override so TA will cover it. See if that works for you. You need to try all your options. Sweet talking the Ed Counselors sometimes works. Big Grin
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Yeah you're probably right but I'm deployed and the advantage of knocking out the course in less than a week for $100 versus slaving over a CTC version of Algebra for 8 weeks or 12 weeks online, it seems better to me.

Plus, I'd have to buy CTC's Algebra book as well since I'm no longer an earmyu laptop student. Even with TA I'm required to pay for all of my books. Sometimes I'd rather just pay for the convenience and time saved. To me it's worth it but I'm sure there are other instances where the ol' smooth talk will come in handy -- like when I go for my master's degree and submit my degree plan from AJU.

Overall I'm happy though. I'm the poster child for getting my education benefits out of Uncle Sam. I've done my entire degree through the Army TA and/or earmyu system and I've probably paid less than $700 in books and supplies (since 2003) for the whole shabang. Smile It's hard to convince Soldiers of this though. Everyone complains it's "too hard," "I don't have time." I have managed to motivate a few guys here and there but it's an uphill battle getting people to do something for themselves.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
"Everyone complains it's "too hard," "I don't have time." I have managed to motivate a few guys here and there but it's an uphill battle getting people to do something for themselves."

Welcome to America. If it involves more than mouse clicking and remote flipping, it is too hard.
Yeah, it's a sad commentary on our nation but nonetheless it's true. It's especially surprising though in the military because a degree can often get you promoted to the next rank (read: $$$$) and/or qualify you to become an officer or warrant officer (again, read: $$$$$$$). And, oh BTW that's FREE money since you don't have to pay for CLEP, DSST or ECE in the military.
graduated Cum Laude
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
I finished College Algebra today through straighterline.com. I got a B. I don't need it for my degree but I do need it to get my teacher's certification later down the road -- and possibly a separate business degree later on.

The course just so you know is on Blackboard like most other college courses. It's very easy to use and quite convenient. All I am waiting on now is the whole process of my straighterline grade getting transferred to Fort Hays State University. I'll keep you posted.

BTW, even though I did the class in 2 days I wouldn't recommend that unless you are already pretty strong in Algebra or have already been studying Algebra for the CLEP. The exams were only 20 questions but I would not categorize this as "easy." In fact having taken the Peterson's practice exams and having taken this course, I would say the Straighterline course exams are harder than the practice CLEPs I did.
graduated Cum Laude
Just an update on whether TESC will accept credits from Fort Hayes. For military members they have to. They are a partner college in the SOC. I applied to FHSU today and just paid for my straighterline course...
Will TESC take credits from Fort Hayes for non military members?
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I called Excelsior today and they confirmed that they will accept courses from Fort Hays State University, including the College Algebra course I just finished.
graduated Cum Laude
Fort Hayes is a R/A College, of course tesc will accept the credit from them, for military and non-military.

As long as it is accredited/transcripted by a RA school it should not be a problem.

Has anyone checked CalCampus for classes.
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
Is there a time limit for answering the questions of the 5 College Algebra exams or can you take as much time as needed?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,107 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,594 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,468 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,837 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,908 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,714 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,913 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,384 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,215 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning