Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Online College Algebra class?
txks04a Wrote:Is there a time limit for answering the questions of the 5 College Algebra exams or can you take as much time as needed?

I just finished last Thursday. You can take as long as you need for each test.

As for my total experience with Straighterline.com if you only plan on taking the College Algebra then this is a very good option. They just got rid of their "Must cancel at least 30 days out" policy and now they only need a few days warning. The woman responsible for the customer service is excellent and will do anything she can to help you. It is a new program and everyone is still learning the ropes of it. I had originally planned on taking other courses, but not every school that is a partner college accepts every course they offer, so be aware. I am transferring the algebra course to FHSU, then on to TESC. If this is all you plan on doing, then it is well worth the money and your time.
Hello all

Say you transfer a course through FHSU to TESC. When you apply to grad school do they just accept the TESC transcript as the final word OR do they want the transcript from the originating school- in this case FHSU.

Can they deny you admission based on credits earned thru RA institutions? Or at least ask you to retake those courses?

Thanks
D
candothis Wrote:Hello all

Say you transfer a course through FHSU to TESC. When you apply to grad school do they just accept the TESC transcript as the final word OR do they want the transcript from the originating school- in this case FHSU.

Can they deny you admission based on credits earned thru RA institutions? Or at least ask you to retake those courses?

Thanks
D

That is going to depend on the grad school and program you enter. As far as denying admission based on credits through RA institutions, why would they do that? RA is what a large portion of schools will look for. Some consider NA not desirable because they are not transferrable to RA schools, but that is a different discussion all together.

Maybe you are misunderstanding something with Regionally Accredited institutions?
JB Junior,

You wrote well but I want to squeeze as much information out of you as I can! I am thinking of having my children take Economics 1, Composition 1 and College Algebra from straighterline.com. COSC accepts all 3 but has not yet determined whether College Algebra counts for its general education requirement.

Would you mind writing a few (or many) more sentences telling us about what the process was like taking the course, what suggestions you have for us and anything else. We want more!

Thanks,

Sidney and family
twosidneys Wrote:JB Junior,

You wrote well but I want to squeeze as much information out of you as I can! I am thinking of having my children take Economics 1, Composition 1 and College Algebra from straighterline.com. COSC accepts all 3 but has not yet determined whether College Algebra counts for its general education requirement.

Would you mind writing a few (or many) more sentences telling us about what the process was like taking the course, what suggestions you have for us and anything else. We want more!

Thanks,

Sidney and family

I will be glad to, I just got my four psychology essays done, my 16 month old to bed (wife works on the weekends) and don't get back to work until the morning (active duty military) hilarious

ETA: The actual course consists of 05 exams with 20 questions that range in difficulty. It is set up through blackboard which a lot of colleges use. They want you to use their text book which is expensive or for almost the same price you can get the e-book. I rented a college algebra book from the library. I thought about ordering their book while I was doing the course because there were somethings that were required that were not in my book. But overall if you can find a decent college algebra book you should be fine, the one I got is old.

Anyway, I was not happy with the system originally. Partly due to my reading comprehension I thought that all of their partner colleges would accept all of the credits. I was planning on doing the two economics courses and college algebra, transferring them to FHSU and then on to TESC. Jenifer, the point of contact there, informed me that FHSU didn't accept the economics classes but COSC does accept all three. For me the cost would not have been beneficial for that method because I can CLEP the courses for free, and she said there was around 17 lessons in the economics courses. She didn't think I would have been able to complete them in the allotted time (25 days). Which goes to their other issue, you have to cancel the $99 program 30 days in advance. They have just now(maybe not officially yet) changed that policy because it was not beneficial to anyone. If you put in the time and effort and are willing to pay the fees to COSC, it is well worth it. If you just want to get the college algebra course for a total of $129, you can get it on a transcript at FHSU with a letter grade. Of course it won't matter once I send it to TESC because it will only have a "CR" there. The best thing straighterline.com has going for it is customer service through Jenifer. She was on top of everything and was very prompt answering emails. The system is new to everyone and she will go into great detail answering any questions beforehand. If I had asked the right questions, I would have still used straighterline.com for the College Algebra.
JB Junior,

Thanks!

Sidney
JBjunior Wrote:That is going to depend on the grad school and program you enter. As far as denying admission based on credits through RA institutions, why would they do that? RA is what a large portion of schools will look for. Some consider NA not desirable because they are not transferrable to RA schools, but that is a different discussion all together.

Maybe you are misunderstanding something with Regionally Accredited institutions?

Yes I am very sorry I switched this one around. I meant it the other way. Would a grad school accept the courses from a NA school (FHSU) on a RA transcrcript(TESC)?

Thanks for pointing that out.
D
FHSU is RA. This discussion is a non-issue. The FHSU credit is RA and as good as gold.
Sowak777 Wrote:FHSU is RA. This discussion is a non-issue. The FHSU credit is RA and as good as gold.

TESC is RA, but Excelsior will not except FEMA credits that are transcribed by TESC even though they're ACE evaluated. In the end, it's up to the individual school if they will accept credits. These are legitimate questions.

From the looks of things, it does appear that Excelsior and TESC will take them however, and we know COSC is good since it's a partner college with Straighterline. This is a great opportunity for people who were looking for something besides Penn Foster.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
FEMA credits have nothing to do with this discussion. FEMA credits do NOT come from a RA college/university.

FHSU is RA. The StraighterLine courses will show up as credits from the partner school that you transfer them to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,128 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,606 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,493 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,845 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,918 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,718 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,168 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,924 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,387 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,219 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning