Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Prep Materials - CLEP College Mathematics
http://www.learner.org/resources/series6...80&pid=142
This site has a lot of free math videos you can watch online. I used it for Statistics and was thankful that I did. Look at the "related sources" of math and also "Review programs" up top to see if there is any math stuff that would help you. It sounds like the DVDS are your best source though. I wouldn't feel bad about spending some cash getting videos. I figure that it is still way cheaper than taking the course and spending hundred in books.

Snazzle frag, How can you say you are bad in math and then pass statistics with such a high score?!:confused:
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Finished my degree 6-15-06
56 previous college credits (from 1987)
9 Dantes (Statistics, Ethics, World Religions)
9 CLEP (Socialogy, Prin of Management, American Gov.)
67 credits for my A&P license (Airframe and Powerplant)
TESC - BSAST- Aviation Maintenance Technology[/COLOR]
Sammy Wrote:Snazzle frag, How can you say you are bad in math and then pass statistics with such a high score?!:confused:

1) I am an excellent test-taker.
2) I have excellent study skills.
3) I am excellent at memorizing.
4) I am excellent at recalling facts.
5) I suck at math!

Since the DANTES Statistics exam involved far more of 1-4 than it did 5, I was able to pull off a high score.

Any questions? LOL

Passing Statistics has certainly improved my confidence level though. I might give College Algebra a shot after all, and see how I do! However, I think the Algebra exam will involve a lot more of #5 than Statistics did....and that's what scares me most.

We'll see! I just have to work up enough courage,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:1) I am an excellent test-taker.
5) I suck at math!

Since the DANTES Statistics exam involved far more of 1-4 than it did 5, I was able to pull off a high score.

Any questions? LOL

Passing Statistics has certainly improved my confidence level though. I might give College Algebra a shot after all, and see how I do! However, I think the Algebra exam will involve a lot more of #5 than Statistics did....and that's what scares me most.

We'll see! I just have to work up enough courage,
Snazzlefrag

You got 4 out of 5 so that is 80% which is equivalent to the 75 you got on Stats. I often wonder how badly a person could do if they just went and took the stats exam cold. Maybe they could pull of a 50 just by guessing. Heck, your the statistics genius...you tell me!hilarious
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Sammy Wrote:Maybe they could pull of a 50 just by guessing. Heck, your the statistics genius...you tell me!hilarious

Hi Sammy,

Actually, I only got a 71 on Stats, not a 75. As a result, I am unable even to comprehend the question. :p

However, I believe YOU did in fact earn a 75. Right? So who's the Statistics Genius here?

I therefore bow to your superior statistocity!

hilarious
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:1) I am an excellent test-taker.
5) I suck at math!

Any questions? LOL
uh-oh, i'm going to be in trouble when i take this! i am only partially good at #1 and #2, I suck at #3 (i am having trouble learning us hist 1), i'm good at #4 (so i am able to recall what i learned in 6th grade about us hist 1), and i suck at #5 (so that's a double negative, which is a positive, i can't wait for coll algebra). i'm not looking forward to statistics. it worries me. i am going to take it sooner than later in case i need to take it again.:eek:
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
yutzyj Wrote:I am going to take it sooner than later in case i need to take it again.:eek:

Hi yutzyj,

That's exactly what I did too. I was so nervous about taking Statistics, that I decided to just take it so that I wouldn't have to be nervous about it anymore...I would either pass it, or fail it and take it again in six months (with the added benefit of hindsight and experience).

As it happened, the exam ended up not being the monster I thought it would be. I studied very hard for three weeks straight. I used Instantcert to grasp the concepts as much as I could. I memorized some formulas, and learned how to use the calculator I bought (Texas Instruments BAII+).

The exam was quite literally TERRIFYING for me to actually take, and I didn't enjoy it one iota. But without being good at math, and with only following the process above, I was able to score a 71.

There were FAR more questions about the "concepts" than there were "math-related" questions. This is what I must stress to anyone who fears this exam.

If you know the Instantcert material; know the main formulas; and know how to operate your calculator's statistics functions, this exam is very doable..even for a pathetically math-phobic individual like myself.

Approach it as you would any other exam...learn the various FACTS AND PRINCIPLES (some of the facts and principles just happen to involve numbers instead of words).

I took care of learning the concepts, and my calculator took care of calculating ALL the math (I didn't need to calculate anything more complicated than 2+2 in my head, for this exam. The calculator did it all for me).

I do hope this encourages you (and others),
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:I do hope this encourages you (and others),
Snazzlefrag
SnazzleDazzle-
thank you so much for for all your input with this class and the others. i appreciate the time that you took for this reply. it does help to reassure and encourage me, and i'm sure others at well. this is why i like this site, i see others accomplishing this and i know with enough tenacity, i can too. i think i will take it this fall and hopefully get it out of the way.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
yutzyj Wrote:SnazzleDazzle-
thank you so much for for all your input with this class and the others. i appreciate the time that you took for this reply. it does help to reassure and encourage me, and i'm sure others at well. this is why i like this site, i see others accomplishing this and i know with enough tenacity, i can too. i think i will take it this fall and hopefully get it out of the way.

Yes....face the beast yutzyj!

You'll find that it is just a cute and cuddly little puppy dog with a bark much worse than its bite.

Toss it a nice juicy steak before you start the exam and it won't even notice you are there.

:p
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
Yutzyj,

http://www.learner.org/resources/series6...80&pid=142
I know some would find these videos a bit tedious, I would recommend watching them over a period of time with a note or two about the topic, considering that you plan to take the exam in the fall. The 26 videos are only 25 minutes each and cover the exam exactly. Idiouts guide to statistics also covers the exam exactly with a bit more. I would recommend getting it and slowly working through it over a period of time. If you cover 75% of the book, you will do awesome. PM me or email me if you need specifics. I may not be on instantcert when it comes time for your exam.
http://www.learner.org/resources/series158.html
I actually started watching this series the night before and wish I would have watched the whole series because the guy was a great teacher. I even watched some after the exam because I find stats interesting. These are more concept based videos and I actually answered some questions based upon the videos. I found them interesting enough.
Snazzlefrags advice is great too but keep in mind that I kicked his but by a whopping 4! :p
Just kidding snaz.hilarious
P.S. Concentrate especially on probability. I found this to be the highest percent of the questions.
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Sammy Wrote:Yutzyj,

Snazzlefrags advice is great too but keep in mind that I kicked his but by a whopping 4! :p
Just kidding snaz.hilarious
P.S. Concentrate especially on probability. I found this to be the highest percent of the questions.

Yutzyj,

Statistically speaking, you have a higher probability of doing well on this exam if you listen to the advice of the person who scored higher. However, factoring in the Standard Deviation of a Normal Distribution, the advice from each of us is likely to be equally significant.
hilarious

Seriously now though, Sammy is correct when he says that a large proportion of the exam seemed to be dealing with probability.

Probability questions ranged from very basic "dice and card" type questions, to more difficult "probability that a score will fall within a specified Margin of Error" type questions.

I spent several days agonizing over the dice and card type questions that might be on the exam. In hindsight, I can assure you that if you know the very basics, you will be able to answer all of this type of question.

Again in hindsight, I wish I had studied the second type of probability question in more detail than I did. I found myself having to make educated guesses on several of these.

However, even without being absolutely comfortable with the more complex type of probability questions on the exam, I still made a 71 on the exam. So my guess is that the college kids this exam was standardized against truly SUCKED at Statistics! LOL

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
(The Lesser Statistician) :p
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 310 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 188 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor