Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Textbook to study for Fund. of Counseling DSST
Any input on the best text to use? A couple I've seen mentioned are:

Intro to Profession of Counseling Nugent
Theory & Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy Corey

Any other suggestions or a vote for one of the above?
I am not sure there is a "best" textbook to use for this test. On the DSST fact sheet they mention about a dozen books to choose from- go figure :confused: . I used the textbook "Counseling, Theory and Practice" by Ricky George/Theresa Cristiani. I used an older edition that I got used on Amazon for a decent price... But I do feel the book gave a good overview of the topics. I also used Wiki, IC flashcards. I took this test last week and found it to be vague and very broad. There were questions on there that I think they ask to see how "well rounded" a psych student you are. :p I think the more tests that you take in Psychology the better you will do, because they do seem to overlap. I would definitely recommend looking at different sources to supplement your studying for this test. Look up stuff on Wiki, psychology websites, I also looked at stuff on YouTube showing the different counseling styles/theories in action etc. It will help to supplement as much as you can-- or it least it helped me to do that. I hope this helps!
Thank you. I haven't taken a DSST before, so that is good to know that the questions are broad. I already have some knowledge of the different schools of thought in psychology, so that part I'm not too worried about. But laws and things like that that relate to counseling, history, etc. I would need a good book for.
I didn't use a book for this. I just used the flashcards, specific exam feedback, and free clep prep. That was plenty. I made a 64.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
Thank you. I'm getting the impression then that just about any basic intro text on the subject should cut it :-)
yes, i think a basic intro text would be fine. I thought the flashcards for this test were well done and found them helpful for this test. Here is a great free counseling textbook website that bricabrac mentioned-- go here. This has nice summaries of each chapter plus free quizzes. I thought it was very helpful. Best wishes on your test. When are you taking it?
Thank you. I don't have a date set. The last CLEP I took they let me schedule it and take it the next day. I was assuming DSSTs were similiar, but maybe not, so I'll check. I'm taking a midterm soon and writing a report, so I was looking for an easier DSST to get started on and this looks like it may fit the bill :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 431 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 751 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 377 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,115 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,349 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,336 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,475 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 952 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study Together Validity + Benefits Stacie 0 426 07-26-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Stacie