Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about BYU Independent Study
I decided to pull the trigger and enroll in an independent study course geography course from BYU after failing the Geography DSST. I submitted my first assignment and was wondering if any of you have taken any course there recently and had experiences regarding grading? 

-How long did it take to receive the grade back? (The website says 10 business days, but I didn't know how accurate that is)
-Was grading generous, hard/fair etc?
-About how long on average did it take you to complete the course?
-What did you transcript end up looking like? Was it an official BYU transcript or did it say independent study?

Thanks in advance for your help....as usual!  Big Grin
DSST
Substance Abuse 470, Fundamentals of Counseling 466, General Anthropology 445, Foundations of Education 424, Technical Writing 450
CLEP
Human Growth & Development 58, Intro to Educational Psychology 66, College Composition 66, College Composition Modular 65, Intro to Sociology 64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50, American Government 55, College Algebra 63, Macroeconomics 52, Biology 55
SDC 
Ethics in the Social science, Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Research methods, Personality Theory, History & Systems of Psychology, Ethics in America, History of the US II
CooperSmith
Abnormal Psychology, Physiological Psychology
UExcel
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, Social Psychology
(06-07-2022, 01:14 PM)Amberlinjeanne Wrote: I decided to pull the trigger and enroll in an independent study course geography course from BYU after failing the Geography DSST. I submitted my first assignment and was wondering if any of you have taken any course there recently and had experiences regarding grading? 

-How long did it take to receive the grade back? (The website says 10 business days, but I didn't know how accurate that is)
-What did you transcript end up looking like? Was it an official BYU transcript or did it say independent study?

Hi. I am considering taking a couple courses from BYU independent study and was wondering if you can review the course you took with them. I'm looking into some English courses so not geography but your questions above would help me in making a decision.  If there is another posting about BYU independent study courses- I'm having problems finding it. I noticed no one responded to your message so I am wondering if it's an option you are the only one to try? 
Thank you for your help.
Goal: BA in English (TESU)
91/120

In progress-Coopersmith: Medieval Hispano- Jewish Poetry
(09-05-2023, 02:17 PM)Oulton1 Wrote: Hi. I am considering taking a couple courses from BYU independent study and was wondering if you can review the course you took with them. I'm looking into some English courses so not geography but your questions above would help me in making a decision.  If there is another posting about BYU independent study courses- I'm having problems finding it. I noticed no one responded to your message so I am wondering if it's an option you are the only one to try? 
Thank you for your help.

I don't think you'll find many people on here have taken BYU courses. They're expensive and slow compared to most of the ACE credit providers commonly used on here. It seems like most posts about BYU courses are that they exist and which courses exist. I am not sure I've seen someone comment on a course they've actually completed. 

Are you looking for English courses for gen eds or a degree? Where are you looking at to complete your degree or is this just for personal fun? A little more info and you might get some help using other sources of credit.
(06-07-2022, 01:14 PM)Amberlinjeanne Wrote: I decided to pull the trigger and enroll in an independent study course geography course from BYU after failing the Geography DSST. I submitted my first assignment and was wondering if any of you have taken any course there recently and had experiences regarding grading? 

While I haven´t taken any course from BYU or ASU, most people on here are going to recommend ASU´s geography as being easier.
You want to take a look at this thread from the sister board: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ars.62421/
And also the previous post I mentioned in regards to this: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...g-question
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 422 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 264 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 743 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,165 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 373 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,115 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,333 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 952 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 614 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 549 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore