Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best schools with online programs for Active Duty military
I'm looking to start using Tuition Assistance again so I was wondering what experience anyone had with online programs. Im not set on any particular degree path as of yet, more so interested in bolstering my academic resume since I am EAS'ing next year and would like to have credits to show when i apply for schools. I am looking for essentially the standard things: around the TA cap of 250$ per credit hour, some flexibility with military schedules (no deployments anytime soon, but week long field ops are intermittent) and an institution with decent reputability from which credits would hold some weight when applying to other schools. Appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks!
ddwyer44 Wrote:I'm looking to start using Tuition Assistance again so I was wondering what experience anyone had with online programs. Im not set on any particular degree path as of yet, more so interested in bolstering my academic resume since I am EAS'ing next year and would like to have credits to show when i apply for schools. I am looking for essentially the standard things: around the TA cap of 250$ per credit hour, some flexibility with military schedules (no deployments anytime soon, but week long field ops are intermittent) and an institution with decent reputability from which credits would hold some weight when applying to other schools. Appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks!

My TESC degree, combined with my experience has been well received. I received job offers in the 75-90k range. The caveat here is my work experience, the degree was a box checker. If you plan on doing something COMPLETELY different than your MOS, than school rep matters. If you are looking to go to school after you get out, most schools will accept college credit from another Regionally Accredited school. Certain schools have programmatic accreditation, and are a little more picky on where the credits come from. For example, if you take business courses from a non-AACSB school and try to transfer those courses to the AACSB school, they may accept the credits as general credits, but make you retake their specific business course (this happened to me).

There are a ton of military friendly schools with online programs, so in order for us to help you better, please be specific on what you are trying to accomplish (major, career, school reputation, etc). A degree is almost always a means to an end, so you need to plan from your desired end result, and go backwards. This sounds like a "no duh" comment, but many people neglect to plan in this matter.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
My ultimate goal is degree in International Studies, Ive put in applications to Georgetown, GWU, James Madison U and a few others in Virginia. Im sitting at around 36 credits so far between CLEP, DSST, AP courses from HS, credits from my JST and other college work I've done. I spoke with a Veterans affairs coordinator at GWU who advocated that I try to pursue as many credits as possible to show a "continuous pursuit of education during my time in the military." So my short term goal would be to really just build that resume and show that I havent essentially taken a "4 year break from learning".

As far as being relatable to my MOS, Im an infantryman by trade but I spent around 2 years in intelligence and fell in love with it. I have the clearances and some schoolhouse training and Im hoping to advertise that and find an analyst type position with a federal agency or private contractor if possible in the long term.
ddwyer44 Wrote:My ultimate goal is degree in International Studies, Ive put in applications to Georgetown, GWU, James Madison U and a few others in Virginia. Im sitting at around 36 credits so far between CLEP, DSST, AP courses from HS, credits from my JST and other college work I've done. I spoke with a Veterans affairs coordinator at GWU who advocated that I try to pursue as many credits as possible to show a "continuous pursuit of education during my time in the military." So my short term goal would be to really just build that resume and show that I havent essentially taken a "4 year break from learning".

As far as being relatable to my MOS, Im an infantryman by trade but I spent around 2 years in intelligence and fell in love with it. I have the clearances and some schoolhouse training and Im hoping to advertise that and find an analyst type position with a federal agency or private contractor if possible in the long term.

Does GWU take CLEp credit? The schools you listed are very competitive, so I would stay away from the usual suspects who stalk military (strayer, UoP, Ashford to name a few). Take some courses with BYU independent study, they have been well regarded. Also, a few users have mention uc pueblo. University of Oklahoma is military friendly and I'm sure they will transfer into one of your schools well. Just make sure you speak to someone at GWU and make sure that the courses will indeed transfer. Most Gen Eds transfer pretty easily, so I would also concentrate on getting those done (english comp, mathematics, sciences). If you are currently in Virginia, consider taking courses with NoVA. My wife is a VA resident, and was able to take classes online from Germany with NoVA. NoVA is well known in VA and they have transfer agreements with several schools over there. Also, check your base ed center and see which schools are on base, once again, stay away from the predator schools and stick with schools like ODU, OU and possibly St Leo.

As a recently separated Airman, I did a lot of research on schools, so if you want, you can PM me and I can discuss specifically the info I found out.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

GWU doesnt actually accept CLEPs for credit so part of my intention with finding a reputable school was to roll everything i have together and then take whatever was necessary for an Associates or a Certificate that i actually could use for transfer credit.
You should put your primary focus on these schools.
Member Schools • APSIA

Your secondary focus should be on these schools.
Affiliate Member Schools • APSIA
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Boy, that's an elite list.

PrLoko-isms

my issue at the moment is that I'm looking for a school that is within the TA cap of $250 or less per credit hour. At this point with 9 months until my EAS Im sure I can be diligent enough to complete an associates program, especially now that I've been designated part of the remain behind element so that i dont have to worry about field ops and such interfering. Im searching for a school that will be covered under TA and I definitely need it figured out in time soon so that I can start my TA application and deal with that bureaucratic, waiting on signatures, paperwork mess that everything in the military ends up being haha
All of the best schools in this field are probably going to be above the $250 cap unless they have a special rate for military. Even though the elite private schools are extremely expensive, many of them offer excellent, loan-free financial aid packages. Other than that, you can try seeing which of the best schools participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, but this is only for those who are no longer enlisted.
Yellow Ribbon Program Information 2014 - 2015 School Year - Education and Training
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
ddwyer44 Wrote:my issue at the moment is that I'm looking for a school that is within the TA cap of $250 or less per credit hour. At this point with 9 months until my EAS Im sure I can be diligent enough to complete an associates program, especially now that I've been designated part of the remain behind element so that i dont have to worry about field ops and such interfering. Im searching for a school that will be covered under TA and I definitely need it figured out in time soon so that I can start my TA application and deal with that bureaucratic, waiting on signatures, paperwork mess that everything in the military ends up being haha

Check to see if the school you want to transfer to will accept an associates as "block" credit. Meaning that they will accept the entire associates in transfer regardless of the origin of the credits. If yes, than you can attend NOVA online for under the TA CAP and can clep up to 45 of the 60 credits needed. This will mean that you will only have to take 5-6 courses total, which is doable in 9 months. NOVA, once again is very well known in the Northern VA area (they have articulation agreements with GWU, Georgetown, Marymount, George Mason and othe local schools), and I think that an associates from them will be more regarded that another program (this is just a feeling, not based on any fact). You can do a COSC or TESC associates in the same amount of time also, but I'm not sure how they would be received. Without CLEP, an associates anywhere else will take some time.

http://www.nvcc.edu/current-students/tra...greements/

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Louisville - Masters (Active Duty) bjcheung77 0 664 06-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,043 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 26,475 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,881 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,703 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,592 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,797 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,895 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,945 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,309 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90