Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best strategy for English Comp
What’s the best option to get through English Comp (balancing easy, fast, economical)? I am working in China as a middle school English teacher, so am fairly familiar with writing and composition. Would it be better to test out at TESU (as there are no CLEP centers in China)? The TECEPs are ~$180 each (as I’m not a registered student yet), whereas I could do them both at SL for ~$180. However, after reading through the threads it sounds like taking SL and Study.com EngComp is slow and tedious. I’d rather pay the extra money if it saves me a month of waiting around for papers to be graded, provided the TECEP isn’t too difficult to pass.
How hard are the EngComp TECEPS? How long would it take to complete those two courses at SL?

I love this forum, thanks in advance for all your help!
I can't compare TECEP's to SL, but I took the English Comp II TECEP at TESU, and I thought it was fairly easy, considering I didn't study for it - I just took it cold (I got a 79%). I think TESU has started accepting the Tech Writing course/exam instead of one of the English Comp courses, so you might want to check first, but take English Comp I and Tech Writing (much easier than the English Comp II exam, and I scored an 84% taking it cold).

You might also want to become an enrolled student to save a little money - it only costs $75 to apply, and you can register for the TECEP's right away (I would probably take one, and then wait a while to take the second one to keep maintaining enrollment - which lasts for a year after your latest TECEP exam).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Nixi, Yenisei
Anyone taking more than one TECEP should absolutely become an enrolled student, unless there's extenuating circumstances why that's not possible.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei
I just completed the ENC-102 TECEP. I needed to take a TECEP, for continued enrollment purposes, and I'm glad I did it this way. Part of my decision to take the ENC-102 TECEP was from reading dfrecore's experience with the exam. I was still pretty nervous about it as I had not previously taken any exam-only options.

I completed the Study.com ENC 102 TECEP course over 1.5 days, studied the tasks on the exam document provided by TESU, and took the exam a couple of hours later. It was a lot of information, I learned (relearned) a lot, and I felt VERY well prepared for the test.

I'm waiting for my results, but I feel like I crushed it.
(04-07-2018, 11:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I can't compare TECEP's to SL, but I took the English Comp II TECEP at TESU, and I thought it was fairly easy, considering I didn't study for it - I just took it cold (I got a 79%). I think TESU has started accepting the Tech Writing course/exam instead of one of the English Comp courses, so you might want to check first, but take English Comp I and Tech Writing (much easier than the English Comp II exam, and I scored an 84% taking it cold).

You might also want to become an enrolled student to save a little money - it only costs $75 to apply, and you can register for the TECEP's right away (I would probably take one, and then wait a while to take the second one to keep maintaining enrollment - which lasts for a year after your latest TECEP exam).

That’s great to know! For some reason I thought I’d have to pay the $2k + they charge for their classes. $75 it definitely worth it. I’m also very happy to hear that the tests are so passable, exactly what I was looking for. I’ll check out a Tech Writing. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,746 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 704 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 769 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 614 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,306 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 12 2,340 03-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 873 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Language Teaching through to 2023 bjcheung77 0 586 12-05-2021, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Searching for online - ideally self-paced - English 101/102 Courses thephdbalance 8 1,611 08-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Last Post: thephdbalance
  Earned Admission ASU English Comp 2 rlw74 2 1,074 05-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso