Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching for online - ideally self-paced - English 101/102 Courses
We are looking for a dual-enrollment course for our high school daughter from an accredited college/university. Because we are currently living outside the US, we are looking for online options.  Which online English Comp courses can you recommend?  Self-paced would be ideal. ASU's Universal Learner ENG101 is currently on the list. Thank you!
TEL learning has both that will transcript as RA credit. Cheaper than ASU. https://www.tellearning.org/courses-on-demand/
Yes, here are a few ACE options, there are more if you need just ACE credit
These partner with many colleges/universities for credit.
1) Sophia.org 2) Study.com 3) StraighterLine

For RA credit options, these two provide transcripts from a college/university:
TEL Learning: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TEL_Learning
ONU: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
ASU's English does not have proctored exams. You're judged solely on the papers you turn in. There are many papers/a lot of writing.

Each of TEL's courses has 2 proctored exams.

ONU's course load is slightly lighter than ASU's while also only being $50/credit. But they don't accept HS students.

For RA credit, your choices mainly boil down to ASU or TEL. Lots of writing of multiple exams. If your kid would rather write papers than deal with proctoring, ASU. If price is a bigger priority, TEL.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
DELETED POST
(08-09-2021, 12:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote: ASU's English does not have proctored exams. You're judged solely on the papers you turn in. There are many papers/a lot of writing.

Each of TEL's courses has 2 proctored exams.

ONU's course load is slightly lighter than ASU's while also only being $50/credit. But they don't accept HS students.

For RA credit, your choices mainly boil down to ASU or TEL. Lots of writing of multiple exams. If your kid would rather write papers than deal with proctoring, ASU. If price is a bigger priority, TEL.

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for.
(08-08-2021, 09:03 PM)thephdbalance Wrote: We are looking for a dual-enrollment course for our high school daughter from an accredited college/university. Because we are currently living outside the US, we are looking for online options.  Which online English Comp courses can you recommend?  Self-paced would be ideal. ASU's Universal Learner ENG101 is currently on the list. Thank you!

I just finished ENG101 at ASU.   It's a lot of writing.   I made a post about the class around here somewhere.   Anyway, you must build a website, and then you have 20 writer's journal entries of 500+ words, and 5 major projects that are larger, the final one was 1,500 to 2,000 words. 

It has quizzes that you cannot retake, but no exams.   The quizzes are about 40% of the grade if I remember correctly.   The writing is self-graded to a rubric.   Some assignments get a peer review, but that peer review does not count toward your grade.   

It's not a horrible class, but I do recommend you be at least a little tech savvy, enough to build a simple website, if you choose that one.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 2 users Like NC Coach's post:
  • Pikachu, thephdbalance
(08-12-2021, 08:35 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 09:03 PM)thephdbalance Wrote: We are looking for a dual-enrollment course for our high school daughter from an accredited college/university. Because we are currently living outside the US, we are looking for online options.  Which online English Comp courses can you recommend?  Self-paced would be ideal. ASU's Universal Learner ENG101 is currently on the list. Thank you!

I just finished ENG101 at ASU.   It's a lot of writing.   I made a post about the class around here somewhere.   Anyway, you must build a website, and then you have 20 writer's journal entries of 500+ words, and 5 major projects that are larger, the final one was 1,500 to 2,000 words. 

It has quizzes that you cannot retake, but no exams.   The quizzes are about 40% of the grade if I remember correctly.   The writing is self-graded to a rubric.   Some assignments get a peer review, but that peer review does not count toward your grade.   

It's not a horrible class, but I do recommend you be at least a little tech savvy, enough to build a simple website, if you choose that one.
I agree! I took this class from ASU and found building my website challenging because I am not tech savvy.  It is definitely doable but takes a long time between the website and writing assignments. The self grading was a nice factor though!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ann7's post:
  • NC Coach
(08-12-2021, 08:35 PM)NC Coach Wrote:

It's not a horrible class, but I do recommend you be at least a little tech savvy, enough to build a simple website, if you choose that one
Thanks for your feedback.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thephdbalance's post:
  • NC Coach

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 503 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,760 Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 386 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,351 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 305 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,762 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 741 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,738 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden