Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bias in Postdoc Hiring
Quote:Black and Latino/a scientists do not receive the same advancement opportunities as their white peers, demonstrated yet again in a study released this month. The researchers asked 251 professors in physics and biology at eight research universities to rate the CV of a hypothetical graduate student seeking a postdoc. All of these CVs were identical, except for the name: Candidates with ethnic-sounding names (other than Asian) were viewed as less hireable and less competent, the study showed, than white and Asian applicants.

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/2212-how...VTEVPMSED1

Quote:Bradley Miller is more likely to be hired than José Rodriguez. Zhang Wei (David) is more competent than Jamal Banks. And both Miller and Zhang are more competent and hirable than Maria Rodriguez or Shanice Banks.

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/...doc-hiring
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sounds like the liberals in academia are prejudiced. They always like to talk about how enlightened they are, and how racist conservatives are...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • MSK9
(06-20-2019, 12:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Sounds like the liberals in academia are prejudiced.  They always like to talk about how enlightened they are, and how racist conservatives are...

Professors of physics and biology aren't known for attacking conservatives as racist.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jsd
(06-20-2019, 12:36 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 12:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Sounds like the liberals in academia are prejudiced.  They always like to talk about how enlightened they are, and how racist conservatives are...

Professors of physics and biology aren't known for attacking conservatives as racist.

Liberals and others in academia are.  I'm going to guess that being surrounded by them has filtered down to everyone working on campus.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-20-2019, 12:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Liberals and others in academia are.  I'm going to guess that being surrounded by them has filtered down to everyone working on campus.

If you were put into a workplace of thousands and given an intense and specialized job, how likely you be to start adopting political views you wouldn't have otherwise, because they're held by employees with different jobs in different departments in different buildings?

People make hasty generalizations about politics in academe. They overread data points from a few elite schools, and many of those data points are provocative outliers not even representative of those schools. Among the things they overlook, they overlook the departments that lean right or apolitical, the entire types of college that lean right or apolitical, and the parts of the country where the right lean or the broad right-left mix of the general population is also seen in colleges.

I believe you saw my post on a similar study that was done outside of academia. The only common denominator is that white men are usually doing the hiring.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, jsd
meanwhile, Democrats in New York City want to do away with the standardized tests that middle students have to pass in order to be admitted into elite high schools

apparently these standardized tests are racists (unless you happen to be asian, indian or white)
(06-20-2019, 09:51 AM)bluebooger Wrote: meanwhile, Democrats in New York City want to do away with the standardized tests that middle students have to pass in order to be admitted into elite high schools  

apparently these standardized tests are racists (unless you happen to be asian, indian or white)

If tomorrow the College Board announced they'll regularly offer the SAT to adult students, and the Big Three announced they will only admit students with SAT scores in a fairly high percentile, would that be a good thing for education? Well, there's a case that making high school choice dependent on high-stakes standardized tests delivered in middle school isn't great for education either, and there's more to that case than fuzzy liberal egalitarianism.
(06-20-2019, 09:51 AM)bluebooger Wrote: meanwhile, Democrats in New York City want to do away with the standardized tests that middle students have to pass in order to be admitted into elite high schools  

Indians are Asian. The irony of the bad English and lack of social studies knowledge...
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(06-20-2019, 10:22 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: would that be a good thing for education? 

it might help alleviate the student loan problems 
it might also help stop for profit colleges from preying on students

(06-20-2019, 11:43 AM)sanantone Wrote: Indians are Asian. 

oh come on, nobody refers to Indians as Asian 
the common way to use Asian is for Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia and maybe Philippines  

grouping Indians with Asians is like grouping Indians with "people of color"  ?
nobody does that 

"oh, this test is unfair to POC" 
really ? because Indians and Asians don't seem to have a problem with it 

"POC are under represented at Harvard" 
really ? I thought Harvard had lots of Indians and Asians

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,676 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed Mamasaphire 9 2,599 06-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Hrlp!! Anyone who has done hiring is this normal??????? Lindagerr 10 2,229 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Kaz
  Companies that are hiring okiemom 0 760 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Last Post: okiemom