Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden free college a reality?
I keep reading more and more about Biden free college plan and wonder how soon it will become a reality?

Will it be a good thing or not?

K12 public schools are already free, so why not higher education?

Some colleges are too expensive to the point of ridiculous.
Thousands and thousands more would apply making it much more competitive. Not only in the admissions process but also in the market place. Diluting the value.
(03-15-2021, 10:04 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Thousands and thousands more would apply making it much more competitive. Not only in the admissions process but also in the market place. Diluting the value.

You can't "dilute" the value of a smarter populace.

Having idiot citizens is already the downfall of the USA.
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - April 2025
M.Ed in Elementary Education - UoPeople - December 2026
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion (Higher Education) - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 2 users Like TINASAM's post:
  • Novo, rachel83az
But in most of Europe is already like that and it seems there is a balance, some people just won't go to college no matter how free it is, they think it's not for them, so it all balances out.
[-] The following 3 users Like Seagull's post:
  • davewill, rachel83az, TINASAM
(03-15-2021, 10:06 PM)TINASAM Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 10:04 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Thousands and thousands more would apply making it much more competitive. Not only in the admissions process but also in the market place. Diluting the value.

You can't "dilute" the value of a smarter populace.

Having idiot citizens is already the downfall of the USA.

why does going to college equal smarter ?  

I agree that having idiots citizens is ONE of the reasons for the downfall of the USA 
but going to college doesn't necessarily mean you won't be an idiot 

example: One time Congressman Henry Johnson was talking about the number of US troops on Guam and said, "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize," 

later he tried to play it off by saying he was using a metaphor and was talking about the island's ecosystem.

He is an idiot. 

He received a B.A. degree from Clark College and a J.D. degree from Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Houston, but he is still an idiot 

There are plenty of morons on both the republican and democrat side of the spectrum and everywhere in between and on the far sides  

as Seagull said, K through 12 school is already free, so if cost was a factor we should be seeing all but a few high school graduates who can read, write, understand basic statistics, know how to set a budget, know basic history ... 
yet we know that isn't true at all 

many, many, many 17 year olds are illiterate 

I'm sure we all heard about the Baltimore student a couple of weeks ago who was in the 11th grade and had a 0.13 GPA 

making college as free as the first 11 years of that student's schooling isn't going to help that student at all   

sure, there are a lot of smart HS seniors who can't afford college and there should be something we can do for them 
maybe for every year you serve honorably in the military you get one free year of college ? 
maybe free trade school or free medical related school (nursing, radiology, etc) in exchange for you working for the state or federal government -- I think there is already a federal nursing program for this -- the government pays for your nursing school and in exchange you server on native indian lands for a period of time

I have no idea how free university education in Europe works 
what if you get accepted into a computer science program and after 1/3 of the program you decide "this is boring. I want to study marine biology" 
can you start all over and have the government pay for it again ?

seems wasteful
(03-15-2021, 09:59 PM)Seagull Wrote: I keep reading more and more about Biden free college plan and wonder how soon it will become a reality?

The government (read "our tax dollars") paying does NOT make a school less expensive!

Nobody has to choose an expensive school.  If we all just said "no thanks, I'm only going somewhere I can afford" expensive schools would go out of business. The reason they stay around is because people choose to go there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ARhead, StoicJ
(03-16-2021, 01:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 09:59 PM)Seagull Wrote: I keep reading more and more about Biden free college plan and wonder how soon it will become a reality?

The government (read "our tax dollars") paying does NOT make a school less expensive!

Nobody has to choose an expensive school.  If we all just said "no thanks, I'm only going somewhere I can afford" expensive schools would go out of business. The reason they stay around is because people choose to go there.
Agree, although I believe some expensive colleges thrive on donations of wealthy families, and rich people want prestigious names on their degree because that is an immediate recognition on where they got degree from, not denying that people choose that which is not necessarily a bad thing, we live in a capitalistic country still. 

And yes the entire school system should improve so that students k12 and above actually learn something. School won't make people smarter but at least if more people were able to go to college there will be improvements in many other aspects of society, including less crime. 

There is such a thing as joy of learning and lots of us especially on this forum have discovered that. Even a free course that doesn't give any transferable credits can be enjoyable. 

In the end there are always individuals that won't choose a path just because they think it is not for them.
They will still be able to focus on a skill and be successful
In the end you do not need college to be successful
I know lots of self employed people that are successful and only have a high school education.
[-] The following 2 users Like Seagull's post:
  • Novo, rachel83az

I said this before but offering Pell Grants to everyone would make college free in low-cost schools such as WGU or a bunch of state schools as well.  Don't expect govt. to pay for your dorm room, etc.  If they took away paying interest on loans while students are in school, that would help pay for handing out Pell Grants to everyone.

Democrat's style of government is doing lottery systems where only a lucky few get $'s if you are in the right place at the right time.  This way you always have your hand out asking for more $'s so they can keep you on the Democrat plantation voting for them every election.

Republicans on the other hand have no plan.  They love to sit back and wait for the dumbest plan to pass congress then cry and B about how bad that plan was.  They hope you hate the crap that goes through congress so they can get you to vote for them.

The government barely has enough intelligence to put a vaccine shot in your arm, expecting much of out them is pointless.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Fountains of Roses
(03-16-2021, 07:24 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

I said this before but offering Pell Grants to everyone would make college free in low-cost schools such as WGU or a bunch of state schools as well.  Don't expect govt. to pay for your dorm room, etc.  If they took away paying interest on loans while students are in school, that would help pay for handing out Pell Grants to everyone.

Democrat's style of government is doing lottery systems where only a lucky few get $'s if you are in the right place at the right time.  This way you always have your hand out asking for more $'s so they can keep you on the Democrat plantation voting for them every election.

Republicans on the other hand have no plan.  They love to sit back and wait for the dumbest plan to pass congress then cry and B about how bad that plan was.  They hope you hate the crap that goes through congress so they can get you to vote for them.

The government barely has enough intelligence to put a vaccine shot in your arm, expecting much of out them is pointless.
Agree. I am not a democrat nor a republican, and I agree with what you said. Pretty much right now since we have what we have in the oval office and congress, I expect at least them to do what they said they'd do and since there is much talk about free college, I'd like to see what this administration does about that. As an adult learner and doing everything online I forget that the colleges involve students stay at dorms and other fluff, i pretty much expect a freebie only on the education aspect of it, not the rest of the stuff. Because especially as an adult student, that is the only part of it that interest me, if govt wants to pay for all the fluff for younger students, that is not my concern.

It's one thing to apply, it's another to actually enroll and an entirely different thing to finish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 388 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DOJ says that Biden can't even remember when he was vice president LevelUP 5 548 02-10-2024, 10:14 AM
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,603 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,310 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 689 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 912 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,490 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 527 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,249 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 891 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle