Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Big 3" degree value?
I hear a lot of people talking about getting degrees from the "Big 3" especially by testing out of a lot of the credits.

Excelsior, Thomas Edison State College and Charter Oak...

How are these degrees regarded by employers when compared to a "regular" 4 year degree?

I know a lot of people on here go for these "big 3" online schools so you will probably be biased, but I was just wondering and I can't really find any reliable information online.

So if I got a degree from a traditional public college, like Virginia State University for example, in accounting, how would this compare to an accounting degree from one of the "big 3?"

Thanks

MA2/USN
I can't speak for all employers obviously, but when I review candidates, as long as the school is accredited by the DoE, it's valid. After that, it's down to real world experience and the ability to mesh well with the team.

From the four or five unsolicited job offers I get every month with my Excelsior education listed on my resume, other employers feel the same.

Edit: Two glasses of Bordeaux = messed up posts. The DoE doesn't accredit, but they recognize the accrediting agencies. You guys know what I meant! Wink
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
If you do a search, you'll see a ton of posts about this same question. I think Shotojuku has the best reply with a rating system for colleges... hopefully he'll pop up here.

IMHO, getting a good job depends on a number of factors. What I've seen in my career is that experience is more important than the degree, but a degree is necessary to get past the recruiter. Many HR people simply won't pass your resume on to the hiring manager if you don't meet the requirements. If a degree is listed as a requirement, you don't get an interview. Period.

However, you also won't get an interview with an awesome education if you don't have experience. There may be an exception if you have Ivy league education.. to be honest I haven't ever interviewed anyone that fits this description. I'm in B2B software sales and my guess is Harvard folks don't want to be in sales lol.

A big 3 education will check off the box same as any other degree. Yes, it's better if you have a degree from a famous university, but big 3 degrees are about the same as most others. Well... except you're not 100k+ in debt.

We shouldn't think less (or more) of our degrees because we're completing them mostly or partly through testing. CLEP/DSST are accepted by over 1200 colleges in the country. Employers don't know or care about this. They just want a way to weed out candidates when they've got 500+ resumes that come in per posted job. Trust me.. I've seen a million resumes and never once known which classes or tests that an applicant took in college.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
MA2 Wrote:I hear a lot of people talking about getting degrees from the "Big 3" especially by testing out of a lot of the credits.

Excelsior, Thomas Edison State College and Charter Oak...

How are these degrees regarded by employers when compared to a "regular" 4 year degree?

I know a lot of people on here go for these "big 3" online schools so you will probably be biased, but I was just wondering and I can't really find any reliable information online.

So if I got a degree from a traditional public college, like Virginia State University for example, in accounting, how would this compare to an accounting degree from one of the "big 3?"

Thanks

MA2/USN

you can't find any information because "we" call them the "big 3" they don't know they are part of that club Smile They are all regular regionally accredited colleges, 2 are state colleges. Nuf said.
Hmmm, interesting. I'm going to look in to it further... would be nice to take some traditional classes though so I can get the full GI bill living stipend while in school, instead of the half you get for taking all online classes.

I'm guessing accounting or finance isn't a degree where you can CLEP very many credits besides the general education requirements though.

Is one of them more renown for business/accounting/finance degrees?
I just picked up a copy of the Navy Times at the PX yesterday. The cover story was the new improvements to the GI Bill. Even half of the living stipend is a great improvement for distance learners, but I agree.. Where is 50% is good, 100% is better Wink

I've heard good things about the Excelsior Accounting track, but mostly as it applies to a New York CPA. Not sure for the rest of the country.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
It depends. If you are banking your entire future on just one degree, I'm not sure if the Big Three are for you. However, if a degree is just an obstacle to clear to go down a path that you are already qualified for, or can be qualified for by other means, they get the job done.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Yea even if you take just one class in a traditional setting and the rest online, you can still get 100% as long as you're a full time student.

It doesn't seem that any of those colleges teach classes on any of the 3 bases is this area so that doesn't seem like an option.

I also don't like how the degrees say "Bachelors in business with a concentration in ________" or am I just being picky?
Also, I don't imagine that an employer would check your transcripts to find out how many CLEPs you took. Many don't even bother to check that your school exists.... not that that should give you any ideas Confusedmilelol:
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Yea I know they don't really check what classes or CLEPs you took, just that you have such-and-such a degree.

I'm just a little nervous is all... I failed out of college the first time, I was 18, working 55 hours a week to pay for school (didn't want student loans) and was too immature for everything and I eventually cracked.

Now I'm almost 24, and spent 4 years in the Navy so school is paid for now, I have no debt of any kind, some emergency money in the bank, and I'll be making $1530 a month just off the GI bill housing allowance and the reserves paycheck I'll be getting.

I wouldn't want to flunk out again because I'm an idiot or end up wasting my time at a state school when I could get the same education at an online school in half the time, etc etc.

MA2/USN

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 596 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,686 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 565 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 496 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 280 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 839 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,808 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74