Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology courses sought AND advice(for daughter)
My daughter has been attending a Univ, which we've had a few issues with over the years-- causing my daughter to be pushed further and further out from graduating with her class. The bio courses that she needs are only taught once a year and they are typically waitlisted by the time she gets to sign up. We've had to adapt and even change her major at one point just because of this issue. Well, I'm tired of paying them thousands of dollars and shedding tears over not being able to get into courses. 

I am considering taking the courses OUTSIDE and bringing them into the Univ-- just so she can graduate with her class. IF that's not an option-- she may just end up graduating from somewhere else. I want to know what we have for options and was hoping that I could get everyone's input and piece something together.  Heart

She is a Bio major with a minor in communications(the minor is complete). She needs roughly 25 units in her AOS/AOS Electives.

I will work on gathering what she's completed and what she still needs for the Univ. I Do KNOW that she needs Biology Upper Level Electives-- 12 units worth. Can we find any of those online that can be brought in?

Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse--- please advise.  Undecided And thank you!!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
Usually, seniors get priority registration, meaning they get first dibs on those UL courses that they only offer once a year, or that you need to graduate. Is that not the case at your school? Does she have ANY UL courses?

The other issue she is going to have; many schools require that the last 30cr earned be earned from that school. So she CAN'T bring in courses! You need to check to see if that's the case.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-13-2018, 11:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Usually, seniors get priority registration, meaning they get first dibs on those UL courses that they only offer once a year, or that you need to graduate.  Is that not the case at your school?  Does she have ANY UL courses?

The other issue she is going to have; many schools require that the last 30cr earned be earned from that school.  So she CAN'T bring in courses!  You need to check to see if that's the case.

She does get priority but the courses manage to almost always have a waitlist by the time she gets to sign up. In the past, it was even worse since she didn't get priority. I don't understand how the school expects these kids to graduate on time, especially when some of her requirements are only in the Spring OR Fall in even years. It's soooo very frustrating. She has a lot of UL courses-- I will tally them tomorrow.

As for now, we've managed to move a few classes around and plan to take different courses that'll at least satisfy her AOS. I still think it's lame that she can't even take the courses that she has a true interest in since they are in high demand. So, she's going to get this Bio degree, but not have taken any of the courses that she was truly excited to take.  Sad

Thank you for clarifying about the 30 credits needing to be earned from the other schools. When all of this started happening, I wanted to get on the forum and consult with you all. You guys have been there for me and it's like we are friends. Or maybe I'm still just the 'stalker'. LOL  I read so many posts here, nearly every day, it's like a friendship!? No? Anyway, thanks for everyone being there. 

After several phone calls and emails today to her guidance counselor(among several others as well)-- I didn't realize what a ding dong my daughter was dealing with (she had speakerphone on so I could hear.) This school really pushed for parents to let the kids learn how to be adults-- meaning after freshman year we(parents) should plan on not being involved, like high school, etc. And I thought it was a good idea at the time. Now, I am kicking myself. I trusted the Univ to have the right people in place, to help our kids grow and help guide the way. Nope. My agenda, after my daughter graduates, is to have her guidance counselor fired. I started going thru some of the old emails that were exchanged between my daughter and the counselor and I'm floored. The amount of ignorance makes me sick to my stomach. I wished I could go back in time and learn about this forum and The Big 3 before she went down this road. For now, we're going to make the best of it since she's in her home stretch. I'll just be way more involved. 

Thanks again dfrecore!!  Heart
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
OMG, there are some guidance counselors who are complete morons. I'm convinced the idiots of the world are attracted to education and government, where they can really do the most harm to the most people!

No offense to those who aren't idiots, and it must really suck to be surrounded by them!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(11-14-2018, 10:21 AM)dfrecore Wrote: OMG, there are some guidance counselors who are complete morons.  I'm convinced the idiots of the world are attracted to education and government, where they can really do the most harm to the most people!

No offense to those who aren't idiots, and it must really suck to be surrounded by them!

And, human resources. LOL.

(11-14-2018, 01:13 AM)scout2family Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 11:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Usually, seniors get priority registration, meaning they get first dibs on those UL courses that they only offer once a year, or that you need to graduate.  Is that not the case at your school?  Does she have ANY UL courses?

The other issue she is going to have; many schools require that the last 30cr earned be earned from that school.  So she CAN'T bring in courses!  You need to check to see if that's the case.

She does get priority but the courses manage to almost always have a waitlist by the time she gets to sign up. In the past, it was even worse since she didn't get priority. I don't understand how the school expects these kids to graduate on time, especially when some of her requirements are only in the Spring OR Fall in even years. It's soooo very frustrating. She has a lot of UL courses-- I will tally them tomorrow.

As for now, we've managed to move a few classes around and plan to take different courses that'll at least satisfy her AOS. I still think it's lame that she can't even take the courses that she has a true interest in since they are in high demand. So, she's going to get this Bio degree, but not have taken any of the courses that she was truly excited to take.  Sad

Thank you for clarifying about the 30 credits needing to be earned from the other schools. When all of this started happening, I wanted to get on the forum and consult with you all. You guys have been there for me and it's like we are friends. Or maybe I'm still just the 'stalker'. LOL  I read so many posts here, nearly every day, it's like a friendship!? No? Anyway, thanks for everyone being there. 

After several phone calls and emails today to her guidance counselor(among several others as well)-- I didn't realize what a ding dong my daughter was dealing with (she had speakerphone on so I could hear.) This school really pushed for parents to let the kids learn how to be adults-- meaning after freshman year we(parents) should plan on not being involved, like high school, etc. And I thought it was a good idea at the time. Now, I am kicking myself. I trusted the Univ to have the right people in place, to help our kids grow and help guide the way. Nope. My agenda, after my daughter graduates, is to have her guidance counselor fired. I started going thru some of the old emails that were exchanged between my daughter and the counselor and I'm floored. The amount of ignorance makes me sick to my stomach. I wished I could go back in time and learn about this forum and The Big 3 before she went down this road. For now, we're going to make the best of it since she's in her home stretch. I'll just be way more involved. 

Thanks again dfrecore!!  Heart

I wouldn't be able to judge if the guidance counselor is a moron without seeing her emails or at least getting some examples of the things she's said. I've never been a guidance counselor, but I've worked for two colleges and one career training program, and I can't think of any good things to say about students' parents. 

I try not to fully rely on academic counselors. Sometimes, you can't even trust to get accurate information on this forum. I try to do my own research, and you should teach your daughter how to do the same.

Some of the best places to take undergraduate biology courses are UC Berkeley Extension, Arizona State University, and University of Florida. University of New England has some science courses that are normally prerequisites, but your daughter's school may or may not accept their labs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-14-2018, 10:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: I can't think of any good things to say about students' parents. 

Nothing sets a kid up for success more than having mommy handle their affairs well into their adult years Rolleyes
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • quigongene
(11-14-2018, 11:33 AM)jsd Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 10:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: I can't think of any good things to say about students' parents. 

Nothing sets a kid up for success more than having mommy handle their affairs well into their adult years  Rolleyes

Handling it for them - no.  But helping them to navigate the waters, yes.  Dealing with someone who's an idiot is a good learning experience.  But only if you have someone teach you how best to deal with that person.  It is HARD when you're 18, 19, 20, to figure out how to trust information, go around someone who's not giving you good information, etc.

BTW - I know of several guidance counselors at several schools that actively try to make life difficult for students.  I mean, they are mean, rude, and nasty in addition to giving bad "guidance."  Having your kid try to deal with that is going to be rough, no matter how well prepared they are for life.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun, scout2family
Wow 2 for 1: ask a college question, get parenting advice. I'll help you with this off the thread - check your pm.
(11-14-2018, 01:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 11:33 AM)jsd Wrote:

Nothing sets a kid up for success more than having mommy handle their affairs well into their adult years  Rolleyes

Handling it for them - no.  But helping them to navigate the waters, yes.  Dealing with someone who's an idiot is a good learning experience.  But only if you have someone teach you how best to deal with that person.  It is HARD when you're 18, 19, 20, to figure out how to trust information, go around someone who's not giving you good information, etc.

BTW - I know of several guidance counselors at several schools that actively try to make life difficult for students.  I mean, they are mean, rude, and nasty in addition to giving bad "guidance."  Having your kid try to deal with that is going to be rough, no matter how well prepared they are for life.
dfrecore--- hit the nail on the head!! I swear I wrote your post. LOL I will help guide her more from now on. There are idiots a-plenty!  Wink And she's showing me how hard it is for her to deal with some of them. I just wished she would've asked for help earlier. Lesson learned. 

jsd-- is that sarcasm?? I can't tell.  Confused

― Captain Jack Sparrow
(11-14-2018, 09:46 PM)scout2family Wrote: jsd-- is that sarcasm?? I can't tell.  Confused

It was mostly a bit of foot-in-mouth. I was responding to sanantone without following the conversation that preceded it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,523 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,547 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 265 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ‘We did it together’: New York mother and daughter graduate college on same day LevelUP 0 189 12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: LevelUP