Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain food
Does anyone have any tips on what I should eat/drink before a test to help me think?
The studies that I have read indicate that you should be well hydrated and have a small protein snack. I have also read many studies that indicate that peppermint helps to stimulate the brain and that chewing mint gum or candies can help. The gum chewing along with the peppermint is supposed to help your brain wake up. The protein provides a better equally sustained energy source than would sugar or carbs.

I had a routine before all my exams that included drinking water during the 90 minute drive to my test site, then I would get there about 35-45 prior to my exam time and eat some nuts or string cheese with a handful of blueberries while finishing my bottle of water. Then I would chew some peppermint candy gum then put on Burt's Bee's peppermint lip balm. I know this may sound like a silly ritual, but it worked. I was seldom thirty or hungry during the exams and I was able to focus, even on a day when I was very tired and dozed off during the exam, I still passed them all! This is what worked for me after doing some research and trial and error. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
string cheese?

i have been weaning myself off string cheese but if there is a benefit i don't mind going back Smile

marianne202 Wrote:The studies that I have read indicate that you should be well hydrated and have a small protein snack. I have also read many studies that indicate that peppermint helps to stimulate the brain and that chewing mint gum or candies can help. The gum chewing along with the peppermint is supposed to help your brain wake up. The protein provides a better equally sustained energy source than would sugar or carbs.

I had a routine before all my exams that included drinking water during the 90 minute drive to my test site, then I would get there about 35-45 prior to my exam time and eat some nuts or string cheese with a handful of blueberries while finishing my bottle of water. Then I would chew some peppermint candy gum then put on Burt's Bee's peppermint lip balm. I know this may sound like a silly ritual, but it worked. I was seldom thirty or hungry during the exams and I was able to focus, even on a day when I was very tired and dozed off during the exam, I still passed them all! This is what worked for me after doing some research and trial and error. Good luck!
:hurray:

[SIZE=2]it is a journey[/SIZE]
Protein!! not carbs..

My daily diet consists of 70% protein, 20% carb, 10% fats. This with ZERO exercise dropped me 20lbs, and mentally I feel as good as I did 20 years ago.
Although my recent 54 on tech writing would not reflect that! hilarious
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
I opt to take the tests in the morning usually around 9am. Reason being is your brain tends to slow down a bit after noon (siesta time). On testing day, if the weather's nice, I like to go for a quick jog around the block to get my blood pumping, and wake up my brain. I also don't eat a big breakfast. I don't think I could even if I tried because I get so nervous. My breakfast would consist of a big glass of water, my daily vitamins, a glass of carrot juice or a homemade smoothie, and some toast. I also drink water on the way to the testing center. (With all that liquid don't forget to use the restroom before the test). I hope this helps.
[SIZE=2]CLEPs: A&I Lit - 62, [/SIZE]College Algebra - 54, [SIZE=2]College Comp - 55, [/SIZE]Intro Sociology -59, [SIZE=2]College Math -67, [/SIZE]Intro Psychology -66, Western Civ I-56, Social Sciences and History - 60, Human Growth and Development -60, Introduction to Educational Psychology - 65, Natural Sciences - 54
DSST:Technical Writing -60, Introduction to Computing - 60, Intro to World Religions - 435
[SIZE=2]Courses: Comparative Worldviews -3 credits, Social Justice -3 credits, Leadership Theory and Practice - 3 credits, Leadership Management and Communications - 3 credits
Total Credit - 69

"Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge." Proverbs 23:12

"Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life." Proverbs 4:13

"For wisdom is better than
rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it." Proverbs 8:11
[/SIZE]
No heavy foods, just a banana and/or apple is my pre-test food of choice.

I definitely prefer my tests in the morning too. I just found out my local testing center is staying open until the evening for the next few months though, so I'll be experimenting with tests after work so I don't have to keep taking vacation days. Hopefully I can still do ok. I have found I do well on the first half of afternoon tests because of the "excitement", but my focus decreases if the test goes more than an hour or so. I don't think I have that same problem when taking tests in the morning.

Goal: BSBA in CIS

1[SIZE=1]20
credits required, 33 to go!
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]34) - Various Credits/Classes
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)
US History I (70) - 8/8/11 | US History II (67) - 8/22/11 | A&I Literature (70) - 9/22/11 | College Comp (61) - 9/26/11 | Macroeconomics (71) - 10/12/11 | Microeconomics (58) - 10/12/11 | Principles of Management (64) - 11/10/11 | Information Sys & Comp Apps (67) - 11/10/11
| Marketing (69) - 3/19/12 | Sociology (58) - 3/19/12 | Business Law (69) - 3/4/1[SIZE=1]3[/SIZE]

DSST (15)
Money & Banking (70) - 10/27/11
Statistics (466) - 01/30/12
HRM (63) -
03/06/12
Org Beha[SIZE=1]vor (55) - 04/03/12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Busines[SIZE=1]s E[SIZE=1]thics & Soc [/SIZE][/SIZE](447) - 03/19/13[/SIZE]

Next up: 30 days of Straighter[SIZE=1]line for Accounting I[SIZE=1], Accounting
II & Business Communication[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
I test on Monday or Tuesday morning (I have a weekday job so I want to be fresh. YMMV.) I like to clear my afternoon calendar the day of the test.
By Friday of the week before the test I am as ready as I am going to be, so apart from light review no studying -- above all no all-nighters. I know where I am going, where to park, the money aspects of the exam are squared away. I take the weekend 'off'.
Light-to zero alcohol, moderate to lite caffeine, if you use either. I use ginkgo biloba daily but I don't know that it makes a difference in my test performance.
Proteinacious, plenty of vegetables meals on the weekend. Moderate physical activity is good. Above all have experiences that make you feel competent and like a winner.
Have a light but adequate breakfast the morning of the test, moderate caffeine (for me) -- don't short yourself or get yourself wired, plenty of water especially if you use coffee, it's a diuretic; carry some granola bars with honey or cane sugar, if any sweetener, along with you for sustenance just before the test. (Your brain likes glucose -- not HFCS -- but too much is not good.) Ensure you wont need a bathroom break during. Treat yourself to lunch after.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
I should follow some of your advice, perhaps I would score better.
I usually take a test after working a 10hr night shift fueled by coffee. Smile
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435
jmichelle79 Wrote:I should follow some of your advice, perhaps I would score better.
I usually take a test after working a 10hr night shift fueled by coffee. Smile

Yes by the looks of it, you need a change.:iagree:
[SIZE=2]CLEPs: A&I Lit - 62, [/SIZE]College Algebra - 54, [SIZE=2]College Comp - 55, [/SIZE]Intro Sociology -59, [SIZE=2]College Math -67, [/SIZE]Intro Psychology -66, Western Civ I-56, Social Sciences and History - 60, Human Growth and Development -60, Introduction to Educational Psychology - 65, Natural Sciences - 54
DSST:Technical Writing -60, Introduction to Computing - 60, Intro to World Religions - 435
[SIZE=2]Courses: Comparative Worldviews -3 credits, Social Justice -3 credits, Leadership Theory and Practice - 3 credits, Leadership Management and Communications - 3 credits
Total Credit - 69

"Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge." Proverbs 23:12

"Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life." Proverbs 4:13

"For wisdom is better than
rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it." Proverbs 8:11
[/SIZE]
LOL! What in the world?

Loren Wrote:The fundamental omega-3 efas - present in fatty sea food, together with sea food essential oil, walnut essential oil and flax seed products are usually elevated in DHA, fat acid solution important to the fitness of our anxious method. Reduced DHA ranges are associated with a larger threat involving building Alzheimer's illness and ram damage.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pandemic Effect on Food Deserts Kal Di 6 755 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Looming Food Shortages Is the Next ‘Slow-Moving Disaster’ to Hit World LevelUP 8 1,587 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  10 brain surgeries... bjcheung77 1 494 02-17-2022, 02:19 AM
Last Post: WilliamC340
  my brain is melting this semester cookderosa 9 1,726 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Food Allergies 2L8 24 3,662 07-08-2018, 09:17 PM
  culinary & food cookderosa 0 690 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM