Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Allergies
Hey guys , today I went to my doctor and had some test taken , apparently I can't have soy , gluten , dairy or sugar for a while . I'm trying to put together a list of things to eat and I'm having trouble with it if it doesn't have dairy it has gluten and if it doesn't have soy it has dairy! Any of you guys got food allergies and do you have specific diets or recipes that you eat?
(06-21-2018, 05:12 PM)2L8 Wrote: Hey guys , today I went to my doctor and had some test taken , apparently I can't have soy , gluten , dairy or sugar for a while . I'm trying to put together a list of things to eat and I'm having trouble with it if it doesn't have dairy it has gluten and if it doesn't have soy it has dairy! Any of you guys got food allergies and do you have specific diets or recipes that you eat?

Try out being vegan. Read more about it. That knocks out my dairy and i try to make it gluten free. I love soy as substitute for my milk. You can try almond milk.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes docmarvin's post:
  • jsd
(06-21-2018, 05:47 PM)docmarvin Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 05:12 PM)2L8 Wrote: Hey guys , today I went to my doctor and had some test taken , apparently I can't have soy , gluten , dairy or sugar for a while . I'm trying to put together a list of things to eat and I'm having trouble with it if it doesn't have dairy it has gluten and if it doesn't have soy it has dairy! Any of you guys got food allergies and do you have specific diets or recipes that you eat?

Try out being vegan. Read more about it. That knocks out my dairy and i try to make it gluten free. I love soy as substitute for my milk. You can try almond milk.

Thanks Smile Heart
My son is gluten, corn, soy, dairy, and egg free.
Here is what you do:
For dairy try different brands of nut milks to find one you like.
There is even sweetened condensed coconut milk or whipping cream made from coconut - so plenty of substitutions available.
You can replace butter with coconut oil in recipes like pancakes or cookies.
Gluten is tough when you first get started but easy once you figure out what you like.
Stores like Costco and Sprouts you can find GF bread.
Trader Joes carries brown rice tortillas (not sure if it's regular sugar or anything that turns to sugar in your body).
Amazon also carries lots of options.
When baking or coating food I use Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour or Almond Flour.
Not sure how careful you need to be with gluten, but to completely avoid it with oats, you need to buy oats made outside the U.S.
Trader Joes sells GF oats processed in Canada, and I used to buy Irish Oats off Amazon.
Sugar free options abound... Erythitol, Splenda, etc. can be replaced in recipes.
If you research Ketogenic Diet, Atkins, or Paleo Diet recipes, you will find close to what you are looking for.
Remember: what your doctor has removed from your diet does not affect things like beef, poultry, lamb, pork, fish, eggs, bacon, or vegetables! 
Even if natural sugar from fruits must be avoided, you can usually still have avocado and lemon.

HTH. Best Wishes!

Edited to add: I found a sugar free bbq sauce at Walmart that I like - G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce (comes in several flavors)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Carnation's post:
  • 2L8
(06-21-2018, 11:22 PM)Carnation Wrote:
My son is gluten, corn, soy, dairy, and egg free.
Here is what you do:
For dairy try different brands of nut milks to find one you like.
There is even sweetened condensed coconut milk or whipping cream made from coconut - so plenty of substitutions available.
You can replace butter with coconut oil in recipes like pancakes or cookies.
Gluten is tough when you first get started but easy once you figure out what you like.
Stores like Costco and Sprouts you can find GF bread.
Trader Joes carries brown rice tortillas (not sure if it's regular sugar or anything that turns to sugar in your body).
Amazon also carries lots of options.
When baking or coating food I use Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour or Almond Flour.
Not sure how careful you need to be with gluten, but to completely avoid it with oats, you need to buy oats made outside the U.S.
Trader Joes sells GF oats processed in Canada, and I used to buy Irish Oats off Amazon.
Sugar free options abound... Erythitol, Splenda, etc. can be replaced in recipes.
If you research Ketogenic Diet, Atkins, or Paleo Diet recipes, you will find close to what you are looking for.
Remember: what your doctor has removed from your diet does not affect things like beef, poultry, lamb, pork, fish, eggs, bacon, or vegetables! 
Even if natural sugar from fruits must be avoided, you can usually still have avocado and lemon.

HTH. Best Wishes!

Edited to add: I found a sugar free bbq sauce at Walmart that I like - G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce (comes in several flavors)

Smile Heart  Thanks , also just in case I was doing some research theres a cool brand called Namaste. I'm gonna give it a try.

Respectfully, was this an MD doctor that diagnosed you? I ask because an allergy (vs dietary preference, sensitivity, or intolerance) requires specific dietary changes that can be life-threatening when not followed.
Call your MD back and ask them to write a prescription for an apt with a Registered Dietitian. That will be covered by your health insurance with an MD diagnosis. The RD will help you begin medical nutrition therapy.
That you're asking lay people "what to eat" suggests to me that this is a shady diagnosis, and in that case, I'd recommend a second opinion. Lot's of nutrition fiction floating around.
(06-22-2018, 08:44 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Respectfully, was this an MD doctor that diagnosed you?  I ask because an allergy (vs dietary preference, sensitivity, or intolerance) requires specific dietary changes that can be life-threatening when not followed.  
Call your MD back and ask them to write a prescription for an apt with a Registered Dietitian.  That will be covered by your health insurance with an MD diagnosis. The RD will help you begin medical nutrition therapy.  
That you're asking lay people "what to eat" suggests to me that this is a shady diagnosis, and in that case, I'd recommend a second opinion.  Lot's of nutrition fiction floating around.

Having to stay away from these foods "for a while" sounds suspicious. Either you're allergic or you're not.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Respectfully, was this an MD doctor that diagnosed you?  I ask because an allergy (vs dietary preference, sensitivity, or intolerance) requires specific dietary changes that can be life-threatening when not followed.  
Call your MD back and ask them to write a prescription for an apt with a Registered Dietitian.  That will be covered by your health insurance with an MD diagnosis. The RD will help you begin medical nutrition therapy.  
That you're asking lay people "what to eat" suggests to me that this is a shady diagnosis, and in that case, I'd recommend a second opinion.  Lot's of nutrition fiction floating around.

Hello , I have a doctor / acupuncturist who did a wellness exam. During this she says that these foods are allergens. The odd part is that I wasn't given a list so I'll be switching.
(06-22-2018, 02:37 PM)2L8 Wrote:

Hello , I have a doctor / acupuncturist who did a wellness exam. During this she says that these foods are allergens. The odd part is that I wasn't given a list so I'll be switching.

Was she an MD or DO who does acupuncture, or was she an acupuncturist with a doctorate in Chinese medicine or some other non-physician degree? 

If you had an actual wheat allergy, you would likely die from eating wheat. Anything else is an intolerance or sensitivity. 

What does she mean that you're allergic to sugar? There are many forms of sugar (fructose, sucrose, lactose, etc.), and it's very difficult to completely avoid it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If someone is to stay away from foods "for a time" I would expect it is to see if it makes a difference.
When my doctor recommended I stay away from ALL sugar (Keto type diet), it was to see if it made a difference with autoimmune pain.
Sure enough, I was able to get off of all prescription pain meds and anti-inflammatories within 6 weeks of starting the diet.

Often people label things as allergies because that is easier than explaining why you avoid certain foods.
My son doesn't have anaphylactic response to eggs, but he sure will violently vomit it up!
Saying he is allergic to eggs is simply easier than to give the explanation.

My 2 cents...
[-] The following 2 users Like Carnation's post:
  • a2jc4life, leland.kirk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pandemic Effect on Food Deserts Kal Di 6 755 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Looming Food Shortages Is the Next ‘Slow-Moving Disaster’ to Hit World LevelUP 8 1,587 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Brain food cw008658 20 2,666 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Last Post: OpenRoot
  culinary & food cookderosa 0 690 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa