Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand new - looking for courses similar to Modern States
Hi - this is my first post here.  I found this site when signed up for the IC test prep back in September.  My oldest daughter was starting college and I was preparing to take the CLEP for business law as I had decided to “finally” try to finish my bachelors degree. 

I was also taking a marketing management course online at the same school where I had earned my associates degree many years ago.  The course was set up to where you basically read a textbook chapter each week, and do weekly posts and assignments.  I LIKED Modern States where you watch videos, but my online course was dry and boring and akin to being self-taught but with the restriction of not being able to work at your own pace, so you could only earn the 3 credits after a long semester.  It was going to take a long time time for me to finish this way and I had already started questioning my decision to finish the bachelors as this seemed like such drudgery.  And then, this forum!!

I started reading post after post here and researching about this alternative way to earn credits towards a college degree.  Sent my transcripts to Charter Oak in December, which took more than a few weeks to get my evaluation, but it was during the holiday season so that’s understandable.  And now I’m ready to get up and running.  What a valuable site this is and I appreciate all of the posters here who share their information and experiences.  I hope that I will learn some information as I proceed on this journey, so that I can share and give back too.

My question is, for someone like me who likes Modern States, which class offerings are more setup that way - would it be Saylor, StraighterLine, Study.com - or some other? 

Thanks in advance.
I have not taken any classes from Saylor.
SL does not have any videos, at least in any of the classes I've taken there.
Study.com has videos for each module (they're like 8mins long).

Good luck on your journey - this can be as quick as you want it!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • kevie
(01-04-2020, 10:32 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I have not taken any classes from Saylor.

Thank you for that information.  I am seeing there is a way to get a study.com discount via a referral.  Would you happen to have one to share?
Deleted post
I don't think anything is like Modern States because theirs is more like a review course, not a full course. Most people say you can't obtain credit through them without prior knowledge or getting a separate book and studying. So I think Modern States seems a lot quicker than other courses.

That said, I think OnlineDegree.com is great. There are quizzes throughout which count significantly, but that's a good thing, in my opinion. Since the final exam is low pressure. The videos can be somewhat time-consuming but usually very well done, especially the courses that use The Great Courses videos.

I don't think Sophia has videos, or not for many of the lessons, but otherwise I think they are fun and quick for test-takers.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • cwendy111
Sophia has multiple instructors for you to chose from, some w/ a lot of video presentations.
Study.com has video animation and transcript for each lesson.
Study.com feels tedious to most of us. I think SL is faster than Study.com but you learn less (if you're trying to go fast).

(01-05-2020, 12:50 AM)kevie Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 10:32 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I have not taken any classes from Saylor.

Thank you for that information.  I am seeing there is a way to get a study.com discount via a referral.  Would you happen to have one to share?

If you PM me your email address, I can send you one. Don't post the email address in the reply or the whole Internet can see it.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • suzycupcake
(01-05-2020, 06:27 AM)Ideas Wrote: I don't think anything is like Modern States because theirs is more like a review course, not a full course. Most people say you can't obtain credit through them without prior knowledge or getting a separate book and studying. So I think Modern States seems a lot quicker than other courses.

That said, I think OnlineDegree.com is great. There are quizzes throughout which count significantly, but that's a good thing, in my opinion. Since the final exam is low pressure. The videos can be somewhat time-consuming but usually very well done, especially the courses that use The Great Courses videos.

I don't think Sophia has videos, or not for many of the lessons, but otherwise I think they are fun and quick for test-takers.

Thank you so much - lots of great info

(01-05-2020, 02:12 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Sophia has multiple instructors for you to chose from, some w/ a lot of video presentations.
Study.com has video animation and transcript for each lesson.

Thank you for sharing that.  Seems like I just missed some of the great discounts that Sophia was offering at the end of 2019.  Their courses are more expensive than some of the others, so it would be great to get a discount on some of them.  Would anyone happen to know how often those discounts roll around or is that just a once a year thing?
(01-05-2020, 02:36 PM)Ideas Wrote: Study.com feels tedious to most of us. I think SL is faster than Study.com but you learn less (if you're trying to go fast).

I think Ideas THINKS that this is true, but I don't.  SL is a real slog.  I also thought that the "open book" exams were awful - they were super nit-picky, so you HAD to search through the book to find the answers.  It was a real drag.

For Study.com, I personally don't do the videos, (I'm a fast reader), but I like the small chunks and quizzes.  And the app.  When I finished the quizzes, I found the exams to be much easier, and went through it all faster.

But to each his own.  Everyone has different preferences.

(01-05-2020, 06:27 AM)Ideas Wrote: I don't think Sophia has videos, or not for many of the lessons, but otherwise I think they are fun and quick for test-takers.

I took a Sophia course that was 100% videos (Project Management a few years ago).  So I'm going to guess that it varies by course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 381 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,693 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,798 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,398 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,811 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 309 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 672 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat