Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring Back Spanish - at least until the end of 2022
Exclamation 
I have been in communication with ACE over the Spanish I change to Vocational-Certificate, and the Learning Evaluations Team has been very receptive to my questions and are considering the reclassification of the course.

YOU can help by emailing them and requesting the the InstantCert Spanish 1 course be restored to college credit status.

EMAIL THEM AT - credit@acenet.edu

This is a very important step in keeping the availability of these low cost courses available for low income families. Help remind them that they can be the change struggling college students need to make it to the next level in life.
[-] The following 1 user Likes uncoolbilly's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
I'm sure it'd be great for both students and InstantCert if ACE reconsidered their decision.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I have no issue in doing this. However what is the basis of getting them to reconsider? Presumably something has caused the vocational rating it achieved and for that to change

As much as I am sympathetic of the desire for low cost and available education, ACE have obviously come to their decision and given it that rating for a reason and a economic argument wont (nor should it) change that. For it to change IMO there has to be something to review, did ACE make a error in their assessment? Does the course actually meet the guidelines for credit hours status? was the system inherently flawed?
[-] The following 2 users Like MidLifeCrisis's post:
  • carrythenothing, ss20ts
(07-22-2022, 10:48 AM)MidLifeCrisis Wrote: I have no issue in doing this. However what is the basis of getting them to reconsider? Presumably something has caused the vocational rating it achieved and for that to change

As much as I am sympathetic of the desire for low cost and available education, ACE have obviously come to their decision and given it that rating for a reason and a economic argument wont (nor should it) change that. For it to change IMO there has to be something to review, did ACE make a error in their assessment? Does the course actually meet the guidelines for credit hours status? was the system inherently flawed?

The reason I am asking for them to do a review is due to the class NOT changing from the last time they approved it for LL credit. 

It ran from 4/1/2019-6/30/2022 as a LL credit course then a review changed it to vocational-cert. 

You can see the course history here - https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a378457

The next part of the question comes from ACE - they have asked if the course at the Vocational-Cert level has been looked at by UMPI. So I have emailed Jessica to ask if I completed the final to finish the course would UMPI accept it for credit as the course was pre-approved by UMPI before I started. But that is a completely different discussion.
The selling point shouldn’t be low income families. This doesn’t benefit low income families economically as much as it does middle class folks who don’t qualify for the pell grant. Most people who get the pell grant aren’t paying cash for study.com. I’ve recommended Sophia and sdc to some . Nope. That doesn’t get you “yearly school money”
The Pell Grant doesn't come anywhere close to fully paying for most schools, so it's unfortunate that people take such a short-sighted view.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • CatsDomino, jsd, ss20ts
I volunteer with an org. in Chicago and Gary, IN - teaching a course on Cisco VoIP/Networking and a course on Welding (I know such different skills). I send a number of those students to Sophia and Study.com to fill in LL credits. Being a Indiana resident PURDUE is a strong school brand so Purdue Global is a option people are willing to use for their schooling.

Purdue Global also works with them on their Pell grant, so they receive more money then they will need for the Purdue Global Credits and use the extra to pay for Sophia and Study.
(07-24-2022, 11:52 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: I volunteer with an org. in Chicago and Gary, IN - teaching a course on Cisco VoIP/Networking and a course on Welding (I know such different skills). I send a number of those students to Sophia and Study.com to fill in LL credits. Being a Indiana resident PURDUE is a strong school brand so Purdue Global is a option people are willing to use for their schooling.

Purdue Global also works with them on their Pell grant, so they receive more money then they will need for the Purdue Global Credits and use the extra to pay for Sophia and Study.

There's no working on someone with their Pell grant. The grant is a set amount based on one's income. PUG is $371 per credit or $2500 per term for the ExcelTrack plus fees. Students with leftover funds from grants and loans are refunded, but it's not like PUG is somehow getting students more Pell grant money because they're not. The max Pell grant will not cover 4 terms in an academic years for ExcelTrack students. And the others students won't get the full Pell grant unless they're full time. They'll have the same problem as the ExcelTrack students.
(07-24-2022, 12:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-24-2022, 11:52 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: I volunteer with an org. in Chicago and Gary, IN - teaching a course on Cisco VoIP/Networking and a course on Welding (I know such different skills). I send a number of those students to Sophia and Study.com to fill in LL credits. Being a Indiana resident PURDUE is a strong school brand so Purdue Global is a option people are willing to use for their schooling.

There's no working on someone with their Pell grant. The grant is a set amount based on one's income. PUG is $371 per credit or $2500 per term for the ExcelTrack plus fees. Students with leftover funds from grants and loans are refunded, but it's not like PUG is somehow getting students more Pell grant money because they're not. The max Pell grant will not cover 4 terms in an academic years for ExcelTrack students. And the others students won't get the full Pell grant unless they're full time. They'll have the same problem as the ExcelTrack students.

Sounds complicated... maybe someone needs to work with those students to best understand their options... 

I never said PUG increased or decreased Pell Grant payout, I said "they (students) receive more money then they will need for Purdue Global..." this is common, but most schools don't talk about using the stipend at another school or program.

$9,518 is the yearly pell grant award, and yes when you talk about JUST Pell grants its doesn't cover the undiscounted rates at PUG Excell Program. But also understand to be considered for the program you are required to have 9 credits from an accredited college BEFORE enrollment (where do those come from). PUG also runs your income profile through multiple grant systems like FSEOG, SEOG, IASG, CHFS, and Indiana Gift Aid. Most of the people eligible for Pell are eligible for additional grants. These additional grants or discounts are funded to the school BEFORE the Pell Grant, allowing the stipend to be issued at the end of each quarter (not all grants pay out stipends so school try to process them first).

I am not a grant expert and don't play one on the internet. I do have students that are enrolled and receive enough stipend to pay for a month or two of Sophia or Study.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 486 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Information Excelsior College will no longer offer UExcel examinations after August 21, 2022 nomaduser 2 359 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  InstantCertCredit - Spanish - ACE Changes uncoolbilly 45 5,328 07-26-2022, 11:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Other options for Instantcert Spanish? IceSparkle 16 3,207 07-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SevenSister
  IC - Spanish CCCC 13 3,026 04-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Spanish I Course Review OldManOfTheSea 29 7,544 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Spanish I on Credly evanmonast 2 1,109 01-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Last Post: evanmonast
  Typing Spanish Accents danyelln 8 1,636 01-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken the Spanish course course? harrit 4 1,362 10-14-2021, 12:54 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Spanish CLEP in 3 months; Need a 50 Please Help! Question at bottom! therealgageb 8 3,199 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: alab21