Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstantCertCredit - Spanish - ACE Changes
(07-23-2022, 11:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 10:44 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I had a great experience with instantcert. With that said, I agree that they could’ve done a courtesy email to subscribers alerting them to the fact that their courses were up for review. Just as I think Straighterline, Sophia , Study.com, ect could do the same as well. But I don’t think any of them do. I only find out by this forum or by looking on the ace site myself.

Actually, I do think that SDC has emailed people when they thought/knew that they were going to lose ACE recommendation for a course.  I'm almost positive I heard that at least once.  I think several times people have posted that they were given a deadline to finish a course, and if they didn't do it by a certain date, the course would be adding something (more quizzes, more assignments) - that would certainly be due to ACE requiring additional things to renew the course.  So yes, SDC does do this.

In addition to those emails, Study.com has a page describing upcoming changes and expirations (most recently updated last Wednesday) through October 2022: https://support.study.com/support/soluti...1000111658
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • LevelUP
(07-20-2022, 10:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 10:01 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: The IC class was the best option as it didn't require me to actually "speak" Spanish. My speech impediment is bad enough with English Wink

I realize I will need to figure something out, it's just another road block from the school system for people honestly trying to progress... 

The program didn't change, just the timing decides who was successful with getting credit for the course. Because it took me more time, I miss out and have to do the work again.

In that case, study up for the ACTFL reading exam.  Smile

I've heard good things about these books:

https://archive.org/details/pocopocoelementa00hallrich
https://archive.org/details/newfirstspanishb00jamerich and its sequel https://archive.org/details/secondspanishbo01brangoog
https://archive.org/details/allspanishmetho00avilgoog

Ditto the ACTFL as the way to go! Way easier than IC and more relevant!
(07-25-2022, 09:25 PM)Cole22 Wrote: Ditto the ACTFL as the way to go! Way easier than IC and more relevant!

Just out of curiosity, what score did you get and why do you say it's easier? Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-24-2022, 09:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 10:00 PM)utility Wrote: When you're testing out or getting alternative credits for your degree, expect the unexpected.

I did the Study.com version of American Government, then when it was time to transfer it to TESU, it wasn't ACE certified, I ended up having to do the InstantCert version, so some time was wasted.

I had a plan for one degree, TESU changed up the rules when I was getting close to the end, had to get a completely different degree that I didn't want because of this change and to avoid a lot more work.

As the student we are the ones required to make sure everything lines up for us and pivot as needed.  Our research may not be perfect and there will be changes to most plans as you move forward.

During my journey I did read up about ACE renewals and checked ACE for renewal dates, skipped out on some courses over this.  Just part of the journey if you want to save a lot of money and time on your degree.

It definitely would be nice to get notifications about recommendation changes but looks like it doesn't happen at most places.

This is a completely different scenario.  The OP is talking about a course's ACE recommendation expiring.  You are talking about a school changing how they bring courses in.  One has nothing to do with the other.

SDC's American Government course did not expire - TESU decided they would no longer accept it as meeting the Civic Engagement requirement (although they will still accept it as a SocSci course).

It was never hinted at here that schools won't change things.  That's not what we're talking about.  We are talking about a course you are taking with a course provider, and that course provider finds out at some point that the course will no longer be ACE-recommended. And if they have an obligation to tell current students of that course about it - or at least should tell them as a courtesy.

I think they should.

You missed paragraph or line 5 of my statement.  Skipping out on ACE courses due to renewal dates.  The whole point wasn't his exact scenario it is that things don't always go as planned and be ready to make adjustments accordingly.

Luckily the OP got the credit and didn't have to do the course again.

(07-26-2022, 12:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 09:25 PM)Cole22 Wrote: Ditto the ACTFL as the way to go! Way easier than IC and more relevant!

Just out of curiosity, what score did you get and why do you say it's easier?  Smile

If you're fluent in another language ACFTL can't be beat in terms of speed and amount of credits.

I got 20 credits with them just for a few quick tests, 15 LL, 5 UL.

It's definitely faster than taking a course, not sure about the easier part or the minimums for passing.
Yeah, ACTFL is great for native (or just really fluent) speakers of a language. I'm currently trying to figure out just how easy (or difficult) it is for non-native speakers. Big Grin

I should have an answer in about six months.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
For individuals looking to get their max credits for knowing a second or third language, ACTFL is a very good option at an affordable price. If the student is only looking to complete the language requirements with a CLEP as they know either French, German, or Spanish, that would be another option. It really depends on the students needs and what options are available for them to use for the languages they know... If the college they intend to go to only requires a 3 credit course for language and they're interested in using the electives for other courses, they may even want to take a "face to face" course at the community college, so many options to select from instead of just the three I mentioned.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 550 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Bring Back Spanish - at least until the end of 2022 uncoolbilly 8 1,363 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Last Post: uncoolbilly
  Other options for Instantcert Spanish? IceSparkle 16 3,236 07-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SevenSister
  IC - Spanish CCCC 13 3,087 04-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Spanish I Course Review OldManOfTheSea 29 7,647 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Spanish I on Credly evanmonast 2 1,124 01-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Last Post: evanmonast
  Typing Spanish Accents danyelln 8 1,683 01-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken the Spanish course course? harrit 4 1,377 10-14-2021, 12:54 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Spanish CLEP in 3 months; Need a 50 Please Help! Question at bottom! therealgageb 8 3,241 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Instant Cert Spanish 1 acmh1211 3 1,800 07-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: acmh1211