Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstantCertCredit - Spanish - ACE Changes
(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: They could easily run a report for who is enrolled and email them - all of this is available to them, even if it required a SQL query,

What happens if someone decides to do Spanish tomorrow? What about them? Since you can't predict who will do a course or not, it wouldn't make sense to email a few people. They would have had to email everyone.

(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: THIS IS A COLLEGE EDUCATION COMPANY - Schooling is one of the most important factors in future income, and income level has a direct relation on human safety. 
https://criminal-justice.iresearchnet.co...nt%20rates.

There is a lot of people that have been helped here to achieve their dream of getting a college degree. A typical on-campus course is 80hrs. Courses through alt credit providers is usually 20 hours or less. This is how some are able to get their bachelor's degrees in 6-12 months. People use these degrees to get jobs, leverage for higher pay, and get promotions.

(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: The colleges listed here have very low graduation rates with WGU being the highest that I discovered at 54%.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Once people transfer in 75% of the credits needed for a degree, their chances of graduating are very high. They have already proved they can do the work, so unless they refuse to turn in assignments when they start school, almost everyone can graduate.

(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: Why would college support a poorly run company that puts the success of their students at danger?

There is always an ability to pivot and get your degree, no matter what.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(07-21-2022, 06:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think that ICC could have told students that the course was up for renewal, and reminded everyone of the deadline, just in case. I think they know when something won't get renewed ahead of time (at least that's my understanding).

I do not believe ICC knew that Spanish wouldn't get renewed. It's my understanding that they really wanted both Spanish and American Government to be renewed, and didn't realize they wouldn't be.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts, SteveFoerster
(07-21-2022, 07:31 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: They could easily run a report for who is enrolled and email them - all of this is available to them, even if it required a SQL query,

What happens if someone decides to do Spanish tomorrow? What about them? Since you can't predict who will do a course or not, it wouldn't make sense to email a few people. They would have had to email everyone.

(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: THIS IS A COLLEGE EDUCATION COMPANY - Schooling is one of the most important factors in future income, and income level has a direct relation on human safety. 
https://criminal-justice.iresearchnet.co...nt%20rates.

There is a lot of people that have been helped here to achieve their dream of getting a college degree. A typical on-campus course is 80hrs. Courses through alt credit providers is usually 20 hours or less. This is how some are able to get their bachelor's degrees in 6-12 months. People use these degrees to get jobs, leverage for higher pay, and get promotions.

(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: The colleges listed here have very low graduation rates with WGU being the highest that I discovered at 54%.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Once people transfer in 75% of the credits needed for a degree, their chances of graduating are very high. They have already proved they can do the work, so unless they refuse to turn in assignments when they start school, almost everyone can graduate.

(07-21-2022, 08:09 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: Why would college support a poorly run company that puts the success of their students at danger?

There is always an ability to pivot and get your degree, no matter what.

Emailing everyone... that sounds absolutely undoable... How does google, apple or even UMPI do such magic???
(07-22-2022, 08:52 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: There is always an ability to pivot and get your degree, no matter what.

Emailing everyone... that sounds absolutely undoable... How does google, apple or even UMPI do such magic???

Google and Apple have completely different systems and funding than IC. UMPI doesn't send out emails notifying students of every deadline. Trust me they don't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • uncoolbilly
(07-22-2022, 11:11 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 08:52 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: There is always an ability to pivot and get your degree, no matter what.

Google and Apple have completely different systems and funding than IC. UMPI doesn't send out emails notifying students of every deadline. Trust me they don't.

No UMPI doesn't send one for every deadline, but I do get a marketing email from them about every 2 weeks from info@e.online.umpi.edu - the latest to remind me of registration deadlines... you might not of received it being a grad - so bonus for them using list segmentation.

Bulk email isn't some magical thing, it's really not. I've used bulk email notifications for every company I've ever worked for. Some as simple as Mail Chimp or Constant Contact. My wife's 5 person retail store uses email marketing and notifications on dog and Cat food knowledge... 

I hope the degree you received isn't tech related if you truly think sending bulk email is that hard to do.
(07-22-2022, 04:17 PM)uncoolbilly Wrote: No UMPI doesn't send one for every deadline, but I do get a marketing email from them about every 2 weeks from info@e.online.umpi.edu - the latest to remind me of registration deadlines... you might not of received it being a grad - so bonus for them using list segmentation.

Bulk email isn't some magical thing, it's really not. I've used bulk email notifications for every company I've ever worked for. Some as simple as Mail Chimp or Constant Contact. My wife's 5 person retail store uses email marketing and notifications on dog and Cat food knowledge... 

I hope the degree you received isn't tech related if you truly think sending bulk email is that hard to do.

Believe me we all understand how bulk emailing works. Those emails you receive from UMPI are marketing ads. Very different than emails about a deadline such as a course or session ending which is much closer to what the topic is. 

We get it you don't like how the deadline past you by and you missed out but you don't need to be a rude jerk. My one degree is tech related and I have owned a business where I was responsible for the marketing emails. I never said I didn't understand bulk email. I'm also adult enough to know it us MY responsibility to watch for deadlines. You're complaining about something that happened weeks ago and was discussed in detail on this forum.
(07-22-2022, 04:32 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 04:17 PM)uncoolbilly Wrote: No UMPI doesn't send one for every deadline, but I do get a marketing email from them about every 2 weeks from info@e.online.umpi.edu - the latest to remind me of registration deadlines... you might not of received it being a grad - so bonus for them using list segmentation.

Believe me we all understand how bulk emailing works. Those emails you receive from UMPI are marketing ads. Very different than emails about a deadline such as a course or session ending which is much closer to what the topic is. 

We get it you don't like how the deadline past you by and you missed out but you don't need to be a rude jerk. My one degree is tech related and I have owned a business where I was responsible for the marketing emails. I never said I didn't understand bulk email. I'm also adult enough to know it us MY responsibility to watch for deadlines. You're complaining about something that happened weeks ago and was discussed in detail on this forum.

THANK YOU - for making the point clear. Sending an email to people whos email they have to update them on a change of services was easy to do.

As for needing to be tied to accessing the forums to understand what is happening on a completely different website, that like needing to go to cars.com to check for recalls on your Subaru - Subaru should of made you aware.

I accessed the course directly, and nothing was shown on the course page...

Anyway the point is mute for me as UMPI will accept the Spanish credits once the final is taken. They understand the class hasn't changed from the previous certification. This might just be for me as UMPI helped to assemble my pre-enrollment course list.

The next concern is the course is not active any longer under my ICC login, so it might have been removed...
(07-22-2022, 04:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 06:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think that ICC could have told students that the course was up for renewal, and reminded everyone of the deadline, just in case.  I think they know when something won't get renewed ahead of time (at least that's my understanding).

I do not believe ICC knew that Spanish wouldn't get renewed. It's my understanding that they really wanted both Spanish and American Government to be renewed, and didn't realize they wouldn't be.

From what I understand, they do find out at some point PRIOR TO EXPIRATION that a course will not come in as expected.  There is then time to make any changes to get the course to the point that ACE would renew it.  I'm not saying they knew months in advance, but I do think they knew a few weeks out, and could have told people who were partway through the course about the deadline.  They can see who's taking the course, and how far along they are at any point in time.  This would have been a courtesy that I would have given people if I owned the course.  I don't think it would have taken much effort to do this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • carrythenothing
I had a great experience with instantcert. With that said, I agree that they could’ve done a courtesy email to subscribers alerting them to the fact that their courses were up for review. Just as I think Straighterline, Sophia , Study.com, ect could do the same as well. But I don’t think any of them do. I only find out by this forum or by looking on the ace site myself.
(07-22-2022, 10:44 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I had a great experience with instantcert. With that said, I agree that they could’ve done a courtesy email to subscribers alerting them to the fact that their courses were up for review. Just as I think Straighterline, Sophia , Study.com, ect could do the same as well. But I don’t think any of them do. I only find out by this forum or by looking on the ace site myself.

Actually, I do think that SDC has emailed people when they thought/knew that they were going to lose ACE recommendation for a course.  I'm almost positive I heard that at least once.  I think several times people have posted that they were given a deadline to finish a course, and if they didn't do it by a certain date, the course would be adding something (more quizzes, more assignments) - that would certainly be due to ACE requiring additional things to renew the course.  So yes, SDC does do this.

I think Sophia hasn't lost ACE recommendation for anything, so it wouldn't apply.  I do know that they have phased out some courses and replaced them with new versions (Sociology, Psychology).  They do this long before expiration, so they allow people to finish a particular course before expiration, and then new people can only enroll in the new version.  So their approach is a bit different than SDC's.

So I would say that both course providers do take expiration dates into account for current students enrolled in those particular courses, and make sure that they are aware of ACE issues that will affect them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 583 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Bring Back Spanish - at least until the end of 2022 uncoolbilly 8 1,382 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Last Post: uncoolbilly
  Other options for Instantcert Spanish? IceSparkle 16 3,251 07-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SevenSister
  IC - Spanish CCCC 13 3,094 04-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Spanish I Course Review OldManOfTheSea 29 7,694 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Spanish I on Credly evanmonast 2 1,130 01-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Last Post: evanmonast
  Typing Spanish Accents danyelln 8 1,688 01-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken the Spanish course course? harrit 4 1,386 10-14-2021, 12:54 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Spanish CLEP in 3 months; Need a 50 Please Help! Question at bottom! therealgageb 8 3,263 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Instant Cert Spanish 1 acmh1211 3 1,811 07-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: acmh1211