Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCU Issues in Texas??
All,
I have been in and out as time allowed, which hasn't been that much. You are right about CCU not offering Doctorate degrees; it was a condition of them getting DETC accreditation. CCU is planning to confront Texas about this 'policy' of theirs but that's about all I can say about it at this point. I have been in contact with the school's president several times and they are not too happy.

Thanks to those who brought this up and responded in their own unique ways, it HAS had an effect.

Well I had my retirement ceremony last Friday (24.5 years) and will be flying back to the states on Monday to start a new life. I've been out of the states so long that I'm sure it will all be quite foreign. We're not sure if we'll stay or head back overseas....I guess it all depends on how it feels when we return.

I took my last three finals and should get the results tonight sometime. I still have 8 more essays to write but those come fairly easy to me. I will reach my goal of completing my Masters by the end of this month. I'll be sure to post about the experience for all to see once I finish and have time to catch my breath. Till then.....
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Congratulations on your retirement, Basket Weaver! Keep us informed on what you decide to do. It doesn't sound like you plan on being retired very long, though, unless you need a Masters degree for that these days... Smile When was the last time you were "home"?
Chris
[SIZE="1"]120 credits, 3.60 GPA, B.S. General Business, Excelsior College to be conferred 6/20/08 Cool

CLEP Accounting-71, Humanities-70, Marketing-78, Macro-70, Sociology-66, HG&D-72, Management-77, American Gov't-63, Business Law-73, Edu Psych-67, Biology-71; DSST MIS-66, Statistics-78, Principles of Finance-66, Money & Banking-65, Health-65, Business Law II-69, Environment-68, HRM-70; ECE Ethics-A, Org Behavior-B, Info Lit-P, Labor Relations-C, Ops Mgt-A, Business Strategy-B[/SIZE]
Thanks for the congrats.

I usually made it back every 3-4 years I was always very ready to leave after 2 weeks or so...not sure why that was but I guess I'll have to delve into that a bit more in the very near future.Big Grin

To answer your question, no, I don't plan on staying retired long at all; I think I would go mad if I weren't doing something productive. I've always had a side business importing & exporting vehicles and have some lined up for delivery from Japan this month. As far as real employment goes, I need to see what I'm worth and what field I want to get into. Between my experience and the degrees I would like to think I will find something rewarding. I am looking into DOD jobs and UN/NATO positions if things don't feel right in the states. We have a lot of big decisions to make in the coming weeks but we don't to rush into anything; we've prepared/prayed well so I'm sure we'll be fine.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Victory is yours Lee.......CCU is OFF THE LIST deep in the heart of Texas![/SIZE]

Read On: THECB > Academic Affairs and Research > Private Colleges and Institutes > Fraudulent Institutions
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="2"]Victory is yours Lee.......CCU is OFF THE LIST deep in the heart of Texas![/SIZE]

Well done Lee...nice Xmas gift, isn't it? Big Grin Thanks for working so hard on this. And thanks for posting this Brian!

JoAnne Smile
Thanks Shoto and Kiwi,

I guess I can talk about it now...I am a plaintiff against the State of Texas, NOT FOR MONEY, just to get them to realize the error of their ways and help them get in line with the rest of the country. We will win as they are starting the change already. I have been working closely with CCU since the original article first came out (I called them and informed the president of CCU on what was written), but couldn't talk about it publically.

This is a prime example of the powerful force that this forum has become. Thanks for the original post. A simple phone call to CCU put all of this in motion; it would not have happened if I wasn't made aware of the situation by this forum; I just kept the ball rolling from there. I think this is also an important lesson of how we do NOT have to simply sit back and take something because it is coming from a "credible" source like state government.

As a nursury rhyme in one of my son's book states: "A man of words instead of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds."
Hey Lee - you may be interested in this!

DETC Recommended for Recognition by State of Texas.

The Academic Excellence Review Committee of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) unanimously voted June 11 to recommend to the THECB that the Accrediting Commision of the DETC by formally recognized under the provisions of Texas Law.

This represents a major achievement for DETC, and should bring a massive sigh of relief from any Texan holding a degree from a DETC accredited institution.

This Committe recommendation came about after a long period of discussions with THECB officials concerning the unfairness of Texas laws, which in effect made it illegal for any graduate of a DETC institution to use their degrees to obtain a job. The law provided that any degree earned from an institution that was not accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by THECB was not legal to be used in the State. DETC had not been able to attain Texas recognition for years, despite repeated efforts to do so.

There had even been media exposes of elected officials in Texas who had degrees that were not earned at an institution accredited by a THECB recognized accrediting body.

The staff at the THECB worked closely and cordially with the national accrediting community, and they revised their regulations to make it possible for DETC and the other nationals to apply for THECB recognition.

Twice since 1999, DETC had applied to the THECB and had been rejected following staff reviews.

On June 11, DETC suceeded with flying colors! It is not over yet, but a major step was taken.

Micahel Lambert appeared before the committee on June 11, along with representatives of three other national accrediting associations. Mr. Lambeert provided brief oral testimony about the DETC and its long tradition of helping Texans get a good education. He explained a DETC institution often is the Texas citizen's only opportunity to ear a degree or develop a salable skill.

Lambert said DETC as "passionate about consumer protection" and Texas should have confidence in DETC's work. He spoke of how popular online learning has become today, and said DETC would "cherish the opportunity to be a partner with THECB in the oversight of institutions enrolling the citizens of this Great State".

Michael P. Lambert, Executive Director DETC
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
Shoto- what's your source? I couldn't find it in Google or on their site. This is great news. I want to send it to a reporter I was corresponding with who was delighting in exposing the "criminals!"
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
barcotta Wrote:Shoto- what's your source?

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=28215
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chess robot programming issues... bjcheung77 2 411 07-25-2022, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Bus formation outside NRA Children's Museum in Texas bjcheung77 2 550 07-16-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  PSA: FYI - ModernStates site having issues bjcheung77 7 673 04-26-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  DegreeForum having issues? bjcheung77 4 810 05-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  You won't need a license to become a plumber in Texas! sanantone 21 2,971 06-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Degreeforum Connection Issues? quigongene 1 1,177 11-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Texas State University Now Ranked in Criminology sanantone 0 956 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Spacebar issues started this morning. dfrecore 9 1,567 10-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Texas A&M sub-$10K Cyber Security Bac degree! dcan 4 1,036 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Are all of today's teens/20-somethings dealing with entitlement issues? TMW2010 56 7,967 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ryoder