Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIS/CS Certificates
I have a good knack for computers and Computer Science-y stuff, and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get a credential in that area to add to my resume (especially since I'm wanting to learn a couple programming languages anyway), but I'm wanting some feedback on which one. I already have a double-major BA planned so adding a CS area of study isn't an option (maybe down the road), and I don't want to do a second capstone which rules out a BSBA-CIS (not that I think a bachelor's in computers is really necessary for me anyway). So I'm thinking that my options are:

Undergrad Certificate in Computer Information Systems
Undergrad Certificate in Computer Science
ASNSM in Computer Science

The ASNSM would probably be the easiest to get since it seems like they count pretty much any computer-related course there (the What-If tool is even showing that my Excel class would count there). But based on how easy it is to get, I'm guessing it wouldn't really add anything to my resume. And I know someone on here who works as a hiring manager has stated that they see an Undergrad Certificate as more impactful than an associates since it requires some UL courses.

The next easiest to get would be the CIS certificate, for three reasons: 1) No need to take Data Structures, 2) I already have the CLEP InfoSystems, which I'm assuming fills the Intro to CIS requirement for that certificate, and 3) The content more closely matches what I've learned from my experience.

The CS certificate wouldn't be particularly hard given that I need to rack up graded credits anyway, so I would just take it Data Structures at a CC instead of another class. Wouldn't cost me extra $ and in terms of time it would only cost me the time it takes to replace the course I would've taken at the CC with another alt-credit class.

So I guess my main questions are these:
1) How much, if any, advantage is there in getting a CS certificate instead of CIS?
2) Could it be worth doing two of the above three? There could be quite a bit of overlap if I planned it right, but would it just be redundant or would having both Computer Science and Computer Information Systems add something to my resume?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-18-2018, 06:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I have a good knack for computers and Computer Science-y stuff, and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get a credential in that area to add to my resume (especially since I'm wanting to learn a couple programming languages anyway), but I'm wanting some feedback on which one. I already have a double-major BA planned so adding a CS area of study isn't an option (maybe down the road), and I don't want to do a second capstone which rules out a BSBA-CIS (not that I think a bachelor's in computers is really necessary for me anyway). So I'm thinking that my options are:

Undergrad Certificate in Computer Information Systems
Undergrad Certificate in Computer Science
ASNSM in Computer Science

The ASNSM would probably be the easiest to get since it seems like they count pretty much any computer-related course there (the What-If tool is even showing that my Excel class would count there). But based on how easy it is to get, I'm guessing it wouldn't really add anything to my resume. And I know someone on here who works as a hiring manager has stated that they see an Undergrad Certificate as more impactful than an associates since it requires some UL courses.

The next easiest to get would be the CIS certificate, for three reasons: 1) No need to take Data Structures, 2) I already have the CLEP InfoSystems, which I'm assuming fills the Intro to CIS requirement for that certificate, and 3) The content more closely matches what I've learned from my experience.

The CS certificate wouldn't be particularly hard given that I need to rack up graded credits anyway, so I would just take it Data Structures at a CC instead of another class. Wouldn't cost me extra $ and in terms of time it would only cost me the time it takes to replace the course I would've taken at the CC with another alt-credit class.

So I guess my main questions are these:
1) How much, if any, advantage is there in getting a CS certificate instead of CIS?
2) Could it be worth doing two of the above three? There could be quite a bit of overlap if I planned it right, but would it just be redundant or would having both Computer Science and Computer Information Systems add something to my resume?

I am a hiring manager (well, when I'm not taking time off to finish my degree) and as such, I don't see a lot of value in undergrad certificates unless they significantly add breadth to a candidates resume. And even then, I don't see them as any different than an associates degree in impact. A second bachelor's degree is more impactful, assuming it is different but complementary to the first degree.

Regardless of which approach you take, a second credential won't add additional impact over a bachelor's degree unless it adds value. It must suggest additional ways you can add value to the company as an employee, otherwise it adds nothing to the first degree.

The CIS or CS cert may add value if you can show how it makes you better in doing the job you're applying for. For example, if you're working in customer service in a software company, the CS or CIS degree may add value to show you can also help troubleshoot IT related issues in addition to account issues.

If you want to add real impact to your resume, add a grad certificate or a masters degree that complements your bachelor's.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Essentially what I am wanting to do is add "breadth" like you said, since CS/CIS is totally unrelated to my degree. I understand it won't really move the needle much, but the way I see it is that if I do it at the same time as my degree, it's an extremely cheap/free credential that shows a broad base of skills learning.

Merlin, as a hiring manager, do you see a comparative advantage between CS/CIS (understanding, of course, that you don't see much advantage at all in the certificate)? In other words, would you see one as more valuable?
Completed:

Up Next:

Basically, you're paying for the Bachelors, the ASNSM and the Certs just come free as an added value to your Bachelor's degree, the only costs are the extra courses you need to fulfill those ASNSM/Certs requirements, no other fees are required by TESU.

You're young at 19, if you have cash flow, take them all... get your ASNSM CS with the Cert CS credits, just take a few more courses and you'll also end up with a Cert CIS as well. I think most of the courses overlap from Study.com so it's easy to complete them all in a short time span. It's a money/time and value proposition to have extra credentials for cheap... if you want it and have the time/energy and money, go for it!

Think of it this way, if you're NOT a degree-seeking student, you're going to have to pay 50% of the certificate, and at $366 x 9 credits = $3,294 for a certificate. If you do the other cert, that's already $6588 for two certs. eriehiker has taken 4 certificates, 2 ASNSM's and a BSBA with 2 AOS's as he bypassed the need to take any courses at TESU, everything can be transferred in as long as you are graduating with the ASNSM or BS at the same time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My 2 cents is that the ASNSM in Computer Science is the simpler/better option here, and you can really tailor it with the courses you want to do. I'm with Merlin on associate vs undergrad cert, I don't think it signals much to have both, it's more noise in fact since it is almost implied you used your cert to get your associate along the way.

As for CS vs CIS, it depends on what you want to do, when dealing with more IT work CIS might signal better in some cases (just a guess), but CS is generally better viewed than CIS in my opinion (working in software).

Altho the associate in CS at TESU is not a typical CS degree.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(12-18-2018, 07:19 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Essentially what I am wanting to do is add "breadth" like you said, since CS/CIS is totally unrelated to my degree. I understand it won't really move the needle much, but the way I see it is that if I do it at the same time as my degree, it's an extremely cheap/free credential that shows a broad base of skills learning.

Merlin, as a hiring manager, do you see a comparative advantage between CS/CIS (understanding, of course, that you don't see much advantage at all in the certificate)? In other words, would you see one as more valuable?

In all these scenarios I'm assuming you're someone with no career history and are depending primarily on your degree credentials to demonstrate proficiency. Ultimately, your career history is far more valuable than your academic credentials once you actually start working. People will want to see examples of what you have done to suggest what you may be able to do for them in the future.

That said, as posabsolute mentioned, CS vs CIS depends more on how you apply it. Traditionally CS degrees lean more towards software engineering where CIS leans more towards IT, systems administration, and computer applications, though that isn't definitive. I don't necessarily see one as being more valuable or well-received than the other since it depends on the role and industry. However, if you're working for a software development company, a CS degree will be viewed as more relevant than a CIS one... particularly if you're working with software engineers rather than administrators and helpdesk folks.

Then again, unless you advertise your degree, it won't matter outside of interviewing. Once you get hired its on you to demonstrate your capabilities on the job.

Personally I am doing both, but my degree doesn't really matter in terms of hiring. I mainly added the ASNSM to show my CS background and the CIS degree is there to show a blending of my business and technical skills. Though I could have easily gone for a pure CS degree... and I may pursue a CS masters eventually.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • quigongene
I think an actual IT certification is worth more in the marketplace - but I'm not sure which one(s) since you haven't specified which direction you want to go. The thing with certs, instead of degrees, in the tech industry, is that they require current knowledge - they expire within a few years, they revise them fairly regularly, and they require some specific knowledge. My husband still has to get them to show currency in different areas, and a degree would not change this requirement for him. That's really a one-and-done type of thing - once you have a degree, you no longer need to show that you've kept up with anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree, it may be better to put the time and money toward an IT certification. Depends on how much time and money we're talking about, and if you know what field you want to work in.

(12-18-2018, 07:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, you're paying for the Bachelors, the ASNSM and the Certs just come free as an added value to your Bachelor's degree, the only costs are the extra courses you need to fulfill those ASNSM/Certs requirements, no other fees are required by TESU.

You're young at 19, if you have cash flow, take them all... get your ASNSM CS with the Cert CS credits, just take a few more courses and you'll also end up with a Cert CIS as well. I think most of the courses overlap from Study.com so it's easy to complete them all in a short time span. It's a money/time and value proposition to have extra credentials for cheap... if you want it and have the time/energy and money, go for it!

Think of it this way, if you're NOT a degree-seeking student, you're going to have to pay 50% of the certificate, and at $366 x 9 credits = $3,294 for a certificate. If you do the other cert, that's already $6588 for two certs. eriehiker has taken 4 certificates, 2 ASNSM's and a BSBA with 2 AOS's as he bypassed the need to take any courses at TESU, everything can be transferred in as long as you are graduating with the ASNSM or BS at the same time.

Yep, this is exactly my thinking with regard to why I would get one or more of these credentials. It costs me very little, and even though it doesn't add much I'd imagine it is still a good value proposition.

(12-18-2018, 07:53 PM)posabsolute Wrote: My 2 cents is that the ASNSM in Computer Science is the simpler/better option here, and you can really tailor it with the courses you want to do. I'm with Merlin on associate vs undergrad cert, I don't think it signals much to have both, it's more noise in fact since it is almost implied you used your cert to get your associate along the way.

As for CS vs CIS, it depends on what you want to do, when dealing with more IT work CIS might signal better in some cases (just a guess), but CS is generally better viewed than CIS in my opinion (working in software).

Altho the associate in CS at TESU is not a typical CS degree.

Is the reason you're saying it's not a typical CS degree because they'll take basically anything in the area of study and don't require any advanced courses (or really any proper CS classes at all)? Because that is a big reason I may not go this route - it seems like a degree that requires basically no useful courses wouldn't be worth much. At least with the ASNSM in Biology you have to take Bio 2 w/lab, or with the ASNSM in Math you have to take Calculus. With the ASNSM in CS you could basically take a bunch of Computer Concepts classes and be done.

(12-18-2018, 08:38 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 07:19 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Essentially what I am wanting to do is add "breadth" like you said, since CS/CIS is totally unrelated to my degree. I understand it won't really move the needle much, but the way I see it is that if I do it at the same time as my degree, it's an extremely cheap/free credential that shows a broad base of skills learning.

In all these scenarios I'm assuming you're someone with no career history and are depending primarily on your degree credentials to demonstrate proficiency. Ultimately, your career history is far more valuable than your academic credentials once you actually start working. People will want to see examples of what you have done to suggest what you may be able to do for them in the future.

That said, as posabsolute mentioned, CS vs CIS depends more on how you apply it. Traditionally CS degrees lean more towards software engineering where CIS leans more towards IT, systems administration, and computer applications, though that isn't definitive. I don't necessarily see one as being more valuable or well-received than the other since it depends on the role and industry. However, if you're working for a software development company, a CS degree will be viewed as more relevant than a CIS one... particularly if you're working with software engineers rather than administrators and helpdesk folks.

Then again, unless you advertise your degree, it won't matter outside of interviewing. Once you get hired its on you to demonstrate your capabilities on the job.

Personally I am doing both, but my degree doesn't really matter in terms of hiring. I mainly added the ASNSM to show my CS background and the CIS degree is there to show a blending of my business and technical skills. Though I could have easily gone for a pure CS degree... and I may pursue a CS masters eventually.

I suppose I should outline my reasoning for wanting to do this at all a little bit better. Working in a CS/CIS related job is not my plan. If it were, I would be getting a bachelors in one of those. Right now, I'm young, single and free from most financial obligations so I have the ability to pursue what I want to do. However, I know that a time may come when I have to suck it up and do what it takes to put food on the table, and I want to do as much as I can during my undergraduate studies to make it as easy as possible to find work should that scenario come into play. Given my natural aptitude for CS/CIS related things, it seems to me that having something on my resume to help get my foot in the door at a job related to that if I need to would be a good way to accomplish that goal. It is far from a Plan A for me, not even a Plan B. And I understand that simply having an associates or undergrad certificate is far from a silver bullet, but I don't think it could hurt, should the need arise. Especially given the cheapness of it. And since I probably won't be pursuing a second bachelors, I basically have one shot to get as many credentials as I can for cheap to give myself options should my goals not come through. That's why I'm pursuing these options.

(12-19-2018, 12:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think an actual IT certification is worth more in the marketplace - but I'm not sure which one(s) since you haven't specified which direction you want to go. The thing with certs, instead of degrees, in the tech industry, is that they require current knowledge - they expire within a few years, they revise them fairly regularly, and they require some specific knowledge. My husband still has to get them to show currency in different areas, and a degree would not change this requirement for him. That's really a one-and-done type of thing - once you have a degree, you no longer need to show that you've kept up with anything.

The reason I'm not planning to pursue an IT certification as of now is twofold. a) As mentioned above, I have no immediate plans to go into an IT job, but want to have a head start should I need to pursue that to make ends meet. But since certifications expire, any that I get now would likely be obsolete by the time I would need/want to use it, whereas an academic credential would hold more value (though I understand it would likely depreciate as well). And b) I could get an IT certification at any time, whereas the cost of getting one of these credentials will increase sharply if I don't do it at the same time as my degree.

Thank you all for the feedback! Given the information I've added above, does anyone see any advantages of one of the credentials over the others in terms of what I'm hoping to accomplish? I'm currently leaning towards pursuing the CIS certificate first, since it will probably be easier to accomplish (no Data Structures requirement, and get to bypass Computer Architecture which I've heard is a pretty tough SDC course) and aligns more closely with my work experience in the field (I had a gig administering some IT stuff, web-mastering, and designing sales tracking systems for a non-profit for a while).

Also, since both require at least one programming language (and both can fit multiple), does anyone have any recommendations on what languages I should learn and in what order? Ideally it would be ones that are flexible enough to be useful for my many projects, and obviously has to be ones where there is an alt-credit option for the credits (I know Study.com has Java and C, and SL has C++, and I'm guessing that because OD's Python class counts as Intro to Programming that it doesn't count as a Programming Language). I currently know a little JS and a little Python.
Completed:

Up Next:

The ASNSM is just a concentration in CS, so it's different from a CS degree. TESU seems lenient about what counts in this degree. The CS certificate seems to require a lot more than the ASNSM. From what I can tell, it requires Data Structures, 3 programming courses, and Computer Architecture, but I'm not sure. For CIS, OD's course seems to work, but it looks like you need 2 programming courses. I hear the second half of OD is not easy.

Java seems more flexible and simpler than C/C++.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Certificates To Put On Your Resume In 2024 LevelUP 0 253 03-27-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 463 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Meta to offer new professional certificates through Coursera MNomadic 9 1,321 06-23-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Google's new $100 million Google Career Certificates Fund MNomadic 19 2,106 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Business Certificates Alpha 7 1,313 11-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  U of the People Launches First Certificates harrypotter 9 1,712 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM
Last Post: sacredrain
Thumbs Up How do you list certificates on Resume and LinkedIn? Vle045 2 703 05-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Harvard Extension's new online Academic Gap Year and undergrad certificates DIGI-212 4 1,483 06-26-2020, 01:56 AM
Last Post: Stoic
  Undergrad Certificates - is there a benefit? withrown 5 1,359 07-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  $950 University of Michigan Professional Engineering Certificates eriehiker 1 1,367 06-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77