Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Associate in Science then GS/ISS
In order to break a 4 yr degree in to two smaller chunks, I was thinking of getting an Associates then a Bachelors degree. COSC has an "Associate in Science" and a "General Studies - Information Systems Studies". Has anyone here done it that way?

I could do the same plan of taking classes at Sophia/Study.com/SL before actually enrolling in COSC for the "Associate in Science".  Once that was complete, I could take a break and regroup, before doing the Bachelors.  I assume the Associate in Science is a good stepping to stone to the GS/ISS. During the break between the degrees, I could again go to Sophia/Study.com/SL to get as many of the remaining classes before enrolling for the Bachelors degree.
Coats more doing it this way, just go for the bachelkrs
That's a workable plan, some people use the Associates degree as a stepping stone as life gets in the way of completing the Bachelors, it's also usable for a possible pay boost or to get into a different position altogether. It will cost you an extra graduation fee from COSC, if that $225 is worth it for the Associates and you don't really have much time to complete the Bachelors in a year or so, then sure! Go for it!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • LongRoad
(04-11-2020, 10:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's a workable plan, some people use the Associates degree as a stepping stone as life gets in the way of completing the Bachelors, it's also usable for a possible pay boost or to get into a different position altogether.  It will cost you an extra graduation fee from COSC, if that $225 is worth it for the Associates and you don't really have much time to complete the Bachelors in a year or so, then sure! Go for it!

Why would I need to complete the Bachelors within a year?  I might want to take a year off between the two degrees. Right now, I have no income, so the Associates seems like a more manageable risk. I didn't want to take a lot of credit by exams, then run out of money before I could enroll in the Bachelors program.
reylok, I agree with you and actually, I was thinking over a year due to the Coronavirus and "life happens" such as a recession or whatever that may soon come due to unforeseen circumstances. In fact, that Coronavirus might last for at least 18months or longer, so you'll most likely be in the "in a year or so" or even longer before you can start working on the Bachelors.

For the time being, just work solely on the FREE credits from Sophia, every one of them but the 3 Foundations courses unless you need the extra review, those free credits will get you the Associates entirely, with the exception of the Cornerstone at COSC. And again, I agree, just take the courses towards Bachelors when you can afford to do so. Good luck and happy studies!

(04-11-2020, 10:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: reylok, I agree with you and actually, I was thinking over a year due to the Coronavirus and "life happens" such as a recession or whatever that may soon come due to unforeseen circumstances.  In fact, that Coronavirus might last for at least 18months or longer, so you'll most likely be in the "in a year or so" or even longer before you can start working on the Bachelors.

For the time being, just work solely on the FREE credits from Sophia, every one of them but the 3 Foundations courses unless you need the extra review, those free credits will get you the Associates entirely, with the exception of the Cornerstone at COSC.  And again, I agree, just take the courses towards Bachelors when you can afford to do so.  Good luck and happy studies!

Wow, so if I take all the free classes at Sophia, I could transfer them to COSC for the Associates, and I would have all the credits except the cornerstone project?  That sounds amazing.

Is Sophia.org free? It looks free, but that is hard to believe. It looks like it is $329 a course.
If your university, school, or workplace education program has been affected by COVID-19, Sophia is here to help.
We're offering free access to our ACE-recommended courses for college credit until July 31, 2020.

Yes, it's free, seriously, you can get up to 80 credits towards your Bachelor's degree from Sophia.org - These are the courses you need to get right away because it will expire soon. So, signup for a generic regular account at http://www.sophia.org, not a specific school account. Oh, and sign up for the ACE Credit Registry to store your credits for use later when you're ready to transfer into COSC.

1) US History I - Expires at the end of this month. 2) US History II & Public Speaking - Expires at the end of June. 3) Work on College Readiness, Ancient Greek Philosophers, for a free elective/general eds. 4) Work on courses that interest you most or has the least quizzes/exams. 5) Make sure to do all the courses you can get, sign up but don't start them, do them 1 by 1. 6) Set their dates to start 3 months later and if you can't get to them, reset the dates to another 3 months.

(04-11-2020, 11:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If your university, school, or workplace education program has been affected by COVID-19, Sophia is here to help.
We're offering free access to our ACE-recommended courses for college credit until July 31, 2020.

Yes, it's free, seriously, you can get up to 80 credits towards your Bachelor's degree from Sophia.org - These are the courses you need to get right away because it will expire soon.  So, signup for a generic regular account at http://www.sophia.org, not a specific school account.  Oh, and sign up for the ACE Credit Registry to store your credits for use later when you're ready to transfer into COSC.

1) US History I - Expires at the end of this month.  2) US History II & Public Speaking - Expires at the end of June.  3) Work on College Readiness, Ancient Greek Philosophers, for a free elective/general eds.  4) Work on courses that interest you most or has the least quizzes/exams. 5) Make sure to do all the courses you can get, sign up but don't start them, do them 1 by 1.  6) Set their dates to start 3 months later and if you can't get to them, reset the dates to another 3 months.

I applied to COSC several years ago, and they sent me an unofficial transcript with credit for some classes I took at B&M colleges.  If the old credit is still good, I have 5 of the 10 main classes completed by transfers, and 22 of the 30 Liberal Arts requirements, so maybe I'm already more than half-way there!

I am confused by their "Liberal Arts Requirements", because they counted some of the classes twice. For example, I took a College Algebra class in the 90s, and it satisfies the Math requirement and is counted as one of the Liberal Arts requirements. Many of the courses are counted as core classes and again as Liberal Arts Requirements: English 101, Math, Art, History, Psychology. I figured the Liberal Art classes had to come from ones not used for core classes.

Maybe I should apply for a COSC Associates in Science to get my transcripts re-evaluated, and see which ones I need to complete.  I read the Sophia courses don't have a time limit after you pay for them, which I actually like. Some classes I might want to go slowly. My employment was in fact impacted by COVID19, so the classes are probably free for me. Even without a new evaluation, I could take some classes I know I will need.

I think the Ace Credit Registry is dead.

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
(04-11-2020, 11:38 PM)reylok Wrote: I think the Ace Credit Registry is dead.

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Give it another try this morning. It was down for while on Saturday but seems to be up from the "dead" this Easter morning.

Not sure I can help explain the "liberal arts requirements", but yes, some courses that are required n core are liberal arts in nature so it counts as both requirements on the total count. They work together to meet the total. Maybe this link has information to help with what counts as Liberal Arts. https://www.charteroak.edu/current/acade...ements.php
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

If got a "General Studies / Information Systems Studies" degree from COSC, are there any options for a Masters Degree somewhere?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,681 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,165 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso