Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC BS in Cyber Security
I'm looking for feedback on the list below. I've been looking at various tech degrees for family members, and with the latest course additions from study.com, I *think* there's a few that plug into the AOS for the Cybersecurity degree at Charter Oak. Someone will have to test it, I guess; I'm not enrolled. There are still some holes, some of which might be filled by certs, but I haven't found anything that conclusively says what certs map to what for COSC. Anyone have that info?

ITE-102 or ITE-101 Introduction to Computer Science or Management Information Systems: CLEP Information Systems CLEP (JTP Post)*

ITE-220 Network and Data Communications: study.com CS202 Network and System Security

ITE-145 Fundamentals of Information Security Systems: TEEX TEEX CyberSecurity for IT Professionals (JTP Post)*

CSS-146 Legal Issues in Information Security: CSU-G?? ITS460 Information Security Legal and Ethical Issues??

CSS-230 Managing Risk in Information Systems: study.com CS-331 CyberSec Risk Analysis Management?

CSS-245 Security Policies and Implementation: study.com CS-332 Cyber Security Policies & Mgmt?

CSS-345 Auditing IT Infrastructure for Compliance:   ??

CSS-346 Access Controls, Authentication and PKI:  DSST Fundamentals of CyberSecurity? (JTP post)*

CSS-435 Fundamentals of Network Security:  ??/CC/cert CompTia Security+? (JTP Post)*

CSS-436 Systems Forensics, Investigations and Response: ??/CHFI? ECC Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (JTP Post) 4UL cr

CSS-437 Hacker Techniques, Tools and Incident Handling: ??/CEH? ECC Certified Ethical Hacker (JTP Post)

CSS-438 Security Strategies for Web Apps and Social Networking: ??/COSC take course along with capstone at COSC?

Choose 2 of the following: (6cr) 

CSS-347 Security Strategies in Windows OS/Applications: ??/a Microsoft cert? MS365 Security Admin Associate??

CSS-348 Security Strategies in Linux OS/Applications: ??/CC/cert: Linux+??

CSS-448 Cyberwarfare: ??

JTP thread reference: 
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=24674
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r+security

I noted CC on some of the certs above, because the dual credit CC courses my son will be taking this year are using the cert books for A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, etc... So theoretically, he would get the "hands on" he needs to pass the certs needed for some of the online degrees. This degree may be a backup plan for him, if the wall of math they drop on him at the 4yr b&m becomes too terrifying...he really hates math! 

I recall seeing a post from quigonegene that maybe CISSP would satisfy some of these, but that requires experience that a kid wouldn't have, so I need to go fish for alternatives (certs or courses or both!). 

TIA!
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • Life_One
I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out myself, which is why I just ended up going to WGU instead. It seems they made some changes to the program since JTP went through it.

Also, the CISSP, while useful (it did give 16 UL credits), gave weird numbers, such as .5 credits towards a course.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Life_One
(06-17-2019, 03:15 PM)quigongene Wrote: I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out myself, which is why I just ended up going to WGU instead. It seems they made some changes to the program since JTP went through it.

Also, the CISSP, while useful (it did give 16 UL credits), gave weird numbers, such as .5 credits towards a course.

Yeah, it may be what happens—again, it’s a backup plan for now. He is just starting dual credit, so he’s got a few years to sort it out. I just thought since study.com added what looks like a few viable options, and he’s hoping to sit for some certs that might knock out requirements, this might be an option. Maybe more info will come in the meantime too.

At some point my husband and I may finish our degrees too, so the info is also relevant for us.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how study.com class's would fit into COSC.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
(06-18-2019, 03:34 PM)Life_One Wrote: Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how study.com class's would fit into COSC.

You’re welcome. Keep in mind this is my guess based on some old data (JTP) and how the new courses look like they *might* fit. Someone needs to volunteer as tribute to test it. Wink

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • Life_One
I'm following closely too. My son is doing an AAS and I am sure many of his security / IT courses will fill that program -he is also earning certs that should work in there at some point. We have some downtime with him and I want to work this out so he can get a max transfer into that program too. He has filled in almost every gen ed requirement (not cornerstone) but I want to make sure that when he graduates from his CC that he has as much of that degree finished as possible.
I have no answers, only questions.
(06-17-2019, 02:36 PM)alab21 Wrote: I'm looking for feedback on the list below. I've been looking at various tech degrees for family members, and with the latest course additions from study.com, I *think* there's a few that plug into the AOS for the Cybersecurity degree at Charter Oak. Someone will have to test it, I guess; I'm not enrolled. There are still some holes, some of which might be filled by certs, but I haven't found anything that conclusively says what certs map to what for COSC. Anyone have that info?

ITE-102 or ITE-101 Introduction to Computer Science or Management Information Systems: CLEP Information Systems CLEP (JTP Post)*
Comp Sci 102                                                                   Bus 303
ITE-220 Network and Data Communications: study.com CS202 Network and System Security
Comp Sci 108
ITE-145 Fundamentals of Information Security Systems: TEEX TEEX CyberSecurity for IT Professionals (JTP Post)*
Comp Sci 110
CSS-146 Legal Issues in Information Security: CSU-G?? ITS460 Information Security Legal and Ethical Issues??

CSS-230 Managing Risk in Information Systems: study.com CS-331 CyberSec Risk Analysis Management?
Comp Sci 331
CSS-245 Security Policies and Implementation: study.com CS-332 Cyber Security Policies & Mgmt?
Comp Sci 332
CSS-345 Auditing IT Infrastructure for Compliance:   ??

CSS-346 Access Controls, Authentication and PKI:  DSST Fundamentals of CyberSecurity? (JTP post)*

CSS-435 Fundamentals of Network Security:  ??/CC/cert CompTia Security+? (JTP Post)*
Comp Sci 202
CSS-436 Systems Forensics, Investigations and Response: ??/CHFI? ECC Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (JTP Post) 4UL cr

CSS-437 Hacker Techniques, Tools and Incident Handling: ??/CEH? ECC Certified Ethical Hacker (JTP Post)

CSS-438 Security Strategies for Web Apps and Social Networking: ??/COSC take course along with capstone at COSC?

Choose 2 of the following: (6cr) 

CSS-347 Security Strategies in Windows OS/Applications: ??/a Microsoft cert? MS365 Security Admin Associate??

CSS-348 Security Strategies in Linux OS/Applications: ??/CC/cert: Linux+??

CSS-448 Cyberwarfare: ??

JTP thread reference: 
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=24674
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r+security

I noted CC on some of the certs above, because the dual credit CC courses my son will be taking this year are using the cert books for A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, etc... So theoretically, he would get the "hands on" he needs to pass the certs needed for some of the online degrees. This degree may be a backup plan for him, if the wall of math they drop on him at the 4yr b&m becomes too terrifying...he really hates math! 

I recall seeing a post from quigonegene that maybe CISSP would satisfy some of these, but that requires experience that a kid wouldn't have, so I need to go fish for alternatives (certs or courses or both!). 

TIA!

This is what I've come up with using Study courses. I'm guessing but they "seem" to fit and we came to the same conclusion on a few-yay!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • alab21

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 3,028 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,890 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 792 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,430 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,112 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,353 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,833 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,273 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,926 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,676 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso