Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly
I had Credly send my transcript to the COSC Credit Registry and I got an email from a registrar stating Credly is unofficial and that they do not accept it. Has anybody else experienced this?

In the past I've sent ACE transcripts from before they were Credly and it was never questioned. I have numerous credits I have no idea how to get transcripts for other than Credly, such as my Google certification and CSM Learn.

Is there a way to get official certifications for those credits or is it just Credly?
COSC doesn't accept Google for credit. The only non-RA credit they'll accept is listed here: https://www.charteroak.edu/cpl/credit-for-courses.php

Unless you already have about 30 UL credits, COSC is not advised. You should switch to Excelsior, TESU, or even UMPI - depending on your needs/situation.

That said, for CSMLearn, I think you can contact their support and they'll be able to straighten things out with COSC on your behalf. Their email address is support@smilabs.org
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
From my time at COSC, I learned they like to do things the old school way. They don’t and probably never will accept credly transcripts. Transcripts have to be sent directly from the institution or organization you received your credits from. My google cert def wasn’t accepted for credit. I didn’t have any issues graduating with my AA from COSC, but like Rachel said, I would recommend TESU or Excelsior for your bachelors. COSC makes it’s so difficult to plan your degree out.
In-progress/Upcoming:
South College - EDD - Higher Education
Southern Utah University - MM - Music Technology

Certs: ComptiaA+, SAS Data Scientist

Completed:
WGU - MS - Curriculum and Instruction, 2024
Thomas Edison State University - BA - Liberal Studies, 2023
Charter Oak State College - AA - General Studies, 2021

Certs: Google IT Support
(01-17-2023, 11:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: COSC doesn't accept Google for credit. The only non-RA credit they'll accept is listed here: https://www.charteroak.edu/cpl/credit-for-courses.php

Unless you already have about 30 UL credits, COSC is not advised. You should switch to Excelsior, TESU, or even UMPI - depending on your needs/situation.

That said, for CSMLearn, I think you can contact their support and they'll be able to straighten things out with COSC on your behalf. Their email address is support@smilabs.org

(01-17-2023, 11:57 AM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: From my time at COSC, I learned they like to do things the old school way. They don’t and probably never will accept credly transcripts. Transcripts have to be sent directly from the institution or organization you received your credits from. My google cert def wasn’t accepted for credit. I didn’t have any issues graduating with my AA from COSC, but like Rachel said, I would recommend TESU or Excelsior for your bachelors. COSC makes it’s so difficult to plan your degree out.

I'm not wanting a degree from COSC, I'm using their Credit Registry/Bank service. I paid for it years ago and just re-activated it. They always use to accept an ACE transcript, I had them put my FEMA classes on it back in the day. Since Credly is just what ACE became it's weird they won't accept it.

So I guess my Google ACE-approved credits won't work now there but the CSM Learn will. I'll have to email CSM Learn and have them send an official transcript.

I'm going for the BOG AAS at Pierpont but I'm a few classes short and I need a transcript for something I'm applying for, so I reactivated my credit bank with COSC.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Unfortunately, they won't put anything in the credit bank that they won't accept. And they won't accept Credly at all these days. Pierpont is way, way more accepting than COSC is. But, obviously, Pierpont won't have your FEMA credits. They MIGHT accept your FEMA credits from COSC, but no guarantee.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Is there any reason you can't use a combination of your existing COSC transcript and your Pierpont transcript (for your newer credits) for whatever you're applying for?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-17-2023, 05:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Ah, okay, that makes sense. Unfortunately, they won't put anything in the credit bank that they won't accept. And they won't accept Credly at all these days. Pierpont is way, way more accepting than COSC is. But, obviously, Pierpont won't have your FEMA credits. They MIGHT accept your FEMA credits from COSC, but no guarantee.
The FEMA credits aren't really needed anymore, thankfully, but it would be a huge plus if Pierpont accepted them. I had them added to COSC bank years and years ago.

(01-17-2023, 05:50 PM)davewill Wrote: Is there any reason you can't use a combination of your existing COSC transcript and your Pierpont transcript (for your newer credits) for whatever you're applying for?
I haven't applied to Pierpont at all, I'm assembling all of the credits I need to get the degree immediately upon applying. So there is no Pierpont transcript to speak of.

As of right now I'm in contact with CSM Learn about COSC and they've offered to reach out to any registrar there in regards to this, especially since they have an agreement directly with COSC to accept the class for 3 credits. CSM Learn said as far as they're aware, the Credly transcript should have been accepted and has been recently. I'll post the results once CSM Learn reaches out to COSC on this issue.
(01-17-2023, 10:21 AM)siege101 Wrote: I had Credly send my transcript to the COSC Credit Registry and I got an email from a registrar stating Credly is unofficial and that they do not accept it. Has anybody else experienced this?

In the past I've sent ACE transcripts from before they were Credly and it was never questioned. I have numerous credits I have no idea how to get transcripts for other than Credly, such as my Google certification and CSM Learn.

Is there a way to get official certifications for those credits or is it just Credly?

They require official transcripts from the individual providers that they have agreements with, ie: Sophia, Straighterline, SDC, Study.com. Their partner agreements require direct transcripts, not a 3rd party service like Credly. I think the only exception is CSM - because Credly is the only way they can send out the scores and I think that is in their partner agreement.

(01-17-2023, 11:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: COSC doesn't accept Google for credit. The only non-RA credit they'll accept is listed here: https://www.charteroak.edu/cpl/credit-for-courses.php

They will take the Google Certs because it is considered Workforce credit via ACE.
Where does it say that COSC accepts Workforce credit? They're very strict now on what credit is and is not accepted.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(01-20-2023, 06:42 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Where does it say that COSC accepts Workforce credit? They're very strict now on what credit is and is not accepted.

Not sure what it says, but here is the link to COSC website on"non collegiate training programs" credit https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ograms.php

It seems to be separate consideration from "non collegiate course providers"
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,283 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,641 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,536 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab