Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC New Policy - Transfer Credit Updated Info
My question to them by email: When/What are the next terms start dates... and some degree planning advice...

It has been a while since I looked at the COSC website, I noticed some changes especially this one, does this link indicate what I think it means, can I only transfer in 90 credits from ACE providers displayed in this list?  What if I wanted to transfer over credits from CLEP or other exams such as TECEP exams?: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php

Their answer to my questions: Our next semester is fall with terms beginning on August 24 and October 26. You can certainly choose to customize your concentration. Just want to make sure you are aware that this type of concentration will require the blending of 2 related areas of study. You can work with an academic advisor on final planning once enrolled as that will require faculty approval.

There is a new policy with regard to use of ACE credit. Transfer credits from the list of posted providers will now be limited to 90. You can still take advantage of standardized testing as it fits into your plan of study beyond the limits of this policy. If you have further questions, please let me know.

So, from the looks of things (and how I interpret this) - You can transfer in as many credits as possible from CLEP/TECEP and other test exams but if you're going to be just using ACE, then you are capped at 90 credits for the degree.   If this is the case, they are still part of the Big 3 if you plan carefully - take 24 credits worth with CLEP and take the rest with ACE.  Short, simple, sweet answer...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • bluebooger, rachel83az, topdog98, TwinMom
> beyond the limits of this policy

yeah, that's what it sounds like doesn't it
If this is the case then this change isn't as big of a deal. Many people on this fourm already have RA credit or CLEP credit prior to start starting their journey here. Also, some plan on using CLEP, TECEP, DSST or RA credit all along. And still others would at least be open to doing CLEP or RA credit etc if they had to. Plus Idk where military falls into this. Sure this will affect some people but a lot of people on this fourm don't even use 90 ACE credits. Think of the adults that come in here with RA credit from years ago trying to finish their degree. And even if you take into account taking 24 cheap RA credit, it would be cheaper than TESU if you choose a cheap source for RA credit. 

Sure these changes might affect some people, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

Also defining the big 3. The big 3 = the ability to transfer in most of your credits, at one time this was 120 credit. If any of the big 3 started requiring 30 credits AT THEIR SCHOOL then they wouldn't be in the big 3. This is why WGU isn't part of the big 3. The ACE part doesn't matter, the big 3 just means you can transfer in almost you whole degree. There are only 3 schools in the whole country that allow you to transfer in this much credit. Most schools require 30 credits in residence for a bachelors. That is what makes the big 3 unique and the big 3. The whole using CLEP, ACE, etc is just a loophole people found out along the way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-06-2020, 04:41 PM)natshar Wrote: If this is the case then this change isn't as big of a deal. Many people on this fourm already have RA credit or CLEP credit prior to start starting their journey here. Also, some plan on using CLEP, TECEP, DSST or RA credit all along. And still others would at least be open to doing CLEP or RA credit etc if they had to. Plus Idk where military falls into this. Sure this will affect some people but a lot of people on this fourm don't even use 90 ACE credits. Think of the adults that come in here with RA credit from years ago trying to finish their degree. And even if you take into account taking 24 cheap RA credit, it would be cheaper than TESU if you choose a cheap source for RA credit. 

Sure these changes might affect some people, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

Also defining the big 3. The big 3 = the ability to transfer in most of your credits, at one time this was 120 credit. If any of the big 3 started requiring 30 credits AT THEIR SCHOOL then they wouldn't be in the big 3. This is why WGU isn't part of the big 3. The ACE part doesn't matter, the big 3 just means you can transfer in almost you whole degree. There are only 3 schools in the whole country that allow you to transfer in this much credit. Most schools require 30 credits in residence for a bachelors. That is what makes the big 3 unique and the big 3. The whole using CLEP, ACE, etc is just a loophole people found out along the way.

WGU requires 25% of the courses to be completed there - so 30 credits. That's definitely not like the Big 3.
(07-06-2020, 04:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 04:41 PM)natshar Wrote: If this is the case then this change isn't as big of a deal. Many people on this fourm already have RA credit or CLEP credit prior to start starting their journey here. Also, some plan on using CLEP, TECEP, DSST or RA credit all along. And still others would at least be open to doing CLEP or RA credit etc if they had to. Plus Idk where military falls into this. Sure this will affect some people but a lot of people on this fourm don't even use 90 ACE credits. Think of the adults that come in here with RA credit from years ago trying to finish their degree. And even if you take into account taking 24 cheap RA credit, it would be cheaper than TESU if you choose a cheap source for RA credit. 

WGU requires 25% of the courses to be completed there - so 30 credits. That's definitely not like the Big 3.

Yeah I know that. I said that in my post.

But the good thing is WGU is still a good school to transfer credits to and it could be cheaper and quicker than COSC. But they only offer limited majors and some people don't like the pressure of having to finish courses quickly. Because if you take a bunch of terms it gets pricy.

Natshar,

I might have had my degree DECADES ago if I had understood the concept of the Big-3. Back then, I gave a superficial read to ?Bear's? book about non-traditional learning, and didn't understand it. My recollection is spotty, but I'd be surprised if he didn't mention one if not all of the Big-3 as an option.

The Big-3 didn't become the Big-3 (I think) because they were supposed to be places where possibly suspect courses got credits at their schools. They became the Big-3 because folks like those in the military who moved from pillar to post got a few credits here, and some there, but not enough at one place at one time to get a degree. TESC and COSC and NY's school provided them with a way to harness those credits and get something out of them. So while some folks bemoan COSC's policy changes, I think it is an attempt to protect their brand and not become a diploma mill. Well, that's how I saw it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-07-2020, 11:30 AM)LongRoad Wrote:

Natshar,

I might have had my degree DECADES ago if I had understood the concept of the Big-3. Back then, I gave a superficial read to ?Bear's? book about non-traditional learning, and didn't understand it. My recollection is spotty, but I'd be surprised if he didn't mention one if not all of the Big-3 as an option.

The Big-3 didn't become the Big-3 (I think) because they were supposed to be places where possibly suspect courses got credits at their schools. They became the Big-3 because folks like those in the military who moved from pillar to post got a few credits here, and some there, but not enough at one place at one time to get a degree. TESC and COSC and NY's school provided them with a way to harness those credits and get something out of them. So while some folks bemoan COSC's policy changes, I think it is an attempt to protect their brand and not become a diploma mill. Well, that's how I saw it.

I agree.

I think started as way for people with prior credit to finish their degree. Excelsiors enrollement is majority veterans/military.  And here are millions of adults with tons of college credit but no degree. So I do think the big 3 is great way for people finish a degree for those people. I have at least 3 friends with over 100 credits, dropped out and no degree. Tried to convince them of the big 3 but they didn't seem to understand me. 
Then I also had a classmate who had 115 credits towards her degree but then life circumstances got in the way. Years later, she had moved out of state and the final classes needed weren't online so she couldn't go back to the original school. So she transferred this new school and has to spend three semesters here getting the degree with the same major she intended at the original and she took out loans to do it. If she had known about the big three she could be done in matter of months and without loans.

TESU's motto was "education for adults" which means it is kind of obvious they aren't targeting the traditional college age student.

Yeah if everyone got their degree with all alt-credit it would ruin the schools rep and the value of a degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ss20ts
If I had known about these programs years ago, my life would have been drastically different. With the ability to take additional courses through Sophia, Study.com, StraighterLine, Saylor, and others, it's a complete game changer for so many adults. I know many people who have a handful of credits here and there. They add up and they're short on a degree. Then you run into the transfer maximums and age of credits. People give up. These programs have been a blessing! I will FINALLY complete my bachelor's degree this year! My husband is now also back at work taking classes with Sophia so he can finally complete his bachelor's degree as well. We completed our associates degrees over 20 years ago so there is hope out there!
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Clepper43, monchevy, rachel83az
But CLEP is not available for those who are outside USA. so it leaves us with only TECEP which is RA credit as they told it straight before.
(07-07-2020, 01:17 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: But CLEP  is not available for those who are outside USA. so it leaves us with only TECEP which is RA credit as they told it straight before.

They can't be everything to every body.  Not possible.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,949 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,859 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 781 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,397 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,094 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,339 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,781 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,248 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,914 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,665 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso