Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC UL and RA
Was wondering about the ACE credit limit and if one should use it for the UL courses through study.com and then find 8 easy RA courses to take to satisfy the 24 RA requirement. And the 6 COSC courses are Capstone and Cornerstone? Or is there a COSC requirement for information literacy. Thanks

I am actually mapping this for my son as he just started taking sophia courses and he would get in-state tuition in CT.
I am too far into TESU to switch now and calculated the cost at this point is the same for me so I will get the degree from TESU.

Sophia I believe if you take all the courses, let's say if they all transferred, it'd be a total of 92 credits.
RA UL credits can be a bit hard to find and are often more expensive as a result. Personally, I would find 8 RA LL courses to take then fill in the gaps with Sophia, do whatever's left at SDC, and finally take the capstone and cornerstone at COSC. I think the capstone is what TESU calls information literacy.

Since COSC requires a science-with-a-lab, I highly recommend ASU EA Astronomy - even at the $425 price tag. A few other RA courses that I've seen mentioned are only marginally cheaper at around $90-100 per credit and you have to pay whether or not you pass the course (unlike ASU where you only pay $25 up front and then $400 if you want to transcript the grade). With a decent foundation in math, it's relatively easy to pass astronomy with at least a C. ASU also has chemistry (with lab) but I am not currently recommending that unless you absolutely must have chemistry. The first week is an absolute slog to get through.
Thanks.
Are AP courses considered similar to ACE?

Sent from my LG-SP200 using DegreeForum.net mobile app
(08-27-2020, 08:15 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Sophia I believe if you take all the courses, let's say if they all transferred, it'd be a total of 92 credits.

I think not every Sophia course will be transfered to COSC, the transfer list Sophia-to-COSC is not as big. Anyway, to complete every Sophia courses is a must now.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-27-2020, 10:03 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Thanks.

AP courses (and their exams) are, as I understand it, considered stricter and more rigorous than CLEP exams. I suspect that COSC lumps them in with non-RA credits but I am not sure.
COSC requires a cornerstone and a capstone through them and I am understanding that the info literacy gen Ed requirement is met through their cornerstone. Upper level courses are hard to find because they have a strict list of partners they accept and so study.com is your best bet to find cheap upper level but there are very few to choose from at that. I am doing ASU courses for cheap RA credit and tons of Sophia courses!!
Thanks, in the end if COSC is not the option he can transfer to TESU.

COSC has two advantages for now as he can enroll at 16 prior to complete high school and the in-state tuition. In that case he can also take the needed courses with COSC but will be ahead of the game with the 60 ACE credits.

(08-27-2020, 10:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

AP courses (and their exams) are, as I understand it, considered stricter and more rigorous than CLEP exams. I suspect that COSC lumps them in with non-RA credits but I am not sure.

Aren't AP exams just for high school students? They're given in high schools. I haven't seen them offered outside of high schools.
(08-27-2020, 10:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

They do, because both are "powered" be ACE evaluations when it comes to attracting credit. And both are from the same provider, the College Board.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(08-27-2020, 11:56 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Aren't AP exams just for high school students? They're given in high schools. I haven't seen them offered outside of high schools.

Yep. I don't get it. I don't work at any university. But I've seen it said in different places that AP is worth more than CLEP. However, if I've read Modern States correctly, anyone can take an AP exam; not just HS students. It's just that most HS grads choose to take CLEP or don't know that (re)taking the AP is even possible.

This link confirms: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-take-AP-ex...igh-school It also says that some colleges won't accept post-HS AP exams. It would be interesting to find out what the Big 3 think of post-HS AP exams.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,680 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,284 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,642 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,162 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso