Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COSC roadmap & degree plans
I've started to take a stab at creating a roadmap and degree plans for COSC just as I've done for TESU. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

With crucial information scattered and hidden throughout the site, I find them much more confusing to plan for. But I'm going to do my best. I know that you can get a BALS, BALS History, and BSBA are possible entirely through alt credit and the Psych degree is mostly possible (with just COSC stats being required). Anything else I'm missing? I think that's it from COSC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • carebear_007, cecilgambe7, FastTrackDegree
(02-01-2021, 06:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I've started to take a stab at creating a roadmap and degree plans for COSC just as I've done for TESU. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

With crucial information scattered and hidden throughout the site, I find them much more confusing to plan for. But I'm going to do my best. I know that you can get a BALS, BALS History, and BSBA are possible entirely through alt credit and the Psych degree is mostly possible (with just COSC stats being required). Anything else I'm missing? I think that's it from COSC.
Smile Heart   You are a life-saver!!! Thank you for doing this! I will take a look. I’m sure this will be appreciated by more than just me.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2023
University of Maine at Presque Isle  (UMPI)- BLS, Minor in Management  Summer 23
Fixes for the Wiki:

- There is no set amount of credits you need for the GE, since a course can fulfill multiple requirements (so I'd remove wording about 40/41cr being required) Example: bring in World Literature and American Government and you cover 5 areas with 2 courses
- 2 science courses are required - 1 with a lab - so I'd change the wording in the "Info" section

- CLEP College Composition Modular will work for Written Comm (pt1)
- CLEP College Composition w/Essay will work for Written Comm (pts 1 & 2)
- UExcel College Writing will fulfill Written Comm (pt1)
- UExcel English Composition will fulfill Written Comm (Pts 1 & 2) but I wouldn't include it as it's $470
- you left out Study.com courses for the 1st section, not sure if that's intentional?

- for Ethics, I think you can use any of Study.com's UL Ethics courses here as well, and they'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone (ethics + UL in the Liberal Arts area)
- Ethics - 2 DSST exams offered

- once you get the other sections done, I will help there as well. SO many options, it's going to be hard to list them all.

- some examples of courses/exams that will kill multiple birds with 1 stone:
GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography (Study.com) - Global Understanding/Non-US History & Culture/Behavioral Science
ENG 204 - World Literature (ONU) - Global Understanding/Non-US History & Culture/Literature & Fine Arts
HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics (ONU) - Global Understanding/Non-US History & Culture/Social & Behavioral Science/UL

Some helpful links:
https://www.charteroak.edu/pdf/charter-o...values.pdf
https://www.charteroak.edu/advising/gene...course.php
Even if you don't do these exact exams, you can see what a similar course would come in as.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-02-2021, 02:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Fixes for the Wiki:

- There is no set amount of credits you need for the GE, since a course can fulfill multiple requirements (so I'd remove wording about 40/41cr being required)  Example: bring in World Literature and American Government and you cover 5 areas with 2 courses
-

I'm confused and asking. On COSC's website under General Education Requirements it says, "If credits apply to more than one category, credits will be counted only once towards the total needed for the degree. For Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees, a total of 40 general education credits are required for graduation"

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php

I always took that to mean that if someone fulfilled multiple skill area requirements with just one course, then he still needed other gen education courses to get to the magic 40 number of GE credits.  Similar to the idea of GE electives vs GE required?

Have I not understood that all this time? It seems to say the opposite of what you are saying.?? confused.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 2 users Like P226mem's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts

- There is no set amount of credits you need for the GE, since a course can fulfill multiple requirements (so I'd remove wording about 40/41cr being required)  Example: bring in World Literature and American Government and you cover 5 areas with 2 courses
- 2 science courses are required - 1 with a lab - so I'd change the wording in the "Info" section

- CLEP College Composition Modular will work for Written Comm (pt1)
- CLEP College Composition w/Essay will work for Written Comm (pts 1 & 2)
- UExcel College Writing will fulfill Written Comm (pt1)
- UExcel English Composition will fulfill Written Comm (Pts 1 & 2) but I wouldn't include it as it's $470
- you left out Study.com courses for the 1st section, not sure if that's intentional?

- for Ethics, I think you can use any of Study.com's UL Ethics courses here as well, and they'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone (ethics + UL in the Liberal Arts area)
- Ethics - 2 DSST exams offered

- once you get the other sections done, I will help there as well. SO many options, it's going to be hard to list them all.

- some examples of courses/exams that will kill multiple birds with 1 stone:
GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography (Study.com) - Global Understanding/Non-US History & Culture/Behavioral Science
ENG 204 - World Literature (ONU) - Global Understanding/Non-US History & Culture/Literature & Fine Arts
HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics (ONU) - Global Understanding/Non-US History & Culture/Social & Behavioral Science/UL

Some helpful links:
https://www.charteroak.edu/pdf/charter-o...values.pdf
https://www.charteroak.edu/advising/gene...course.php
Even if you don't do these exact exams, you can see what a similar course would come in as.

That GEO link is great, thanks! I hadn't come across that before. I've been working from the updated exam list here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...values.pdf and going back to fill in SDC/Sophia options. There is a lot to go off! I've done up to Science & Math and I know I've skipped at least some TEL Learning and ASU EA options as well. 

As for the Gen Ed credit numbers, that's taken directly from https://www.charteroak.edu/psychology/ps...ochure.pdf and the other brochures that list a minimum of 40 credits as a requirement. I will add in a bit about requirements overlapping, etc., though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(02-02-2021, 03:05 PM)P226mem Wrote:

-

I'm confused and asking. On COSC's website under General Education Requirements it says, "If credits apply to more than one category, credits will be counted only once towards the total needed for the degree. For Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees, a total of 40 general education credits are required for graduation"

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php

I always took that to mean that if someone fulfilled multiple skill area requirements with just one course, then he still needed other gen education courses to get to the magic 40 number of GE credits.  Similar to the idea of GE electives vs GE required?

Have I not understood that all this time? It seems to say the opposite of what you are saying.?? confused.

So, what they're saying is that you can't use a course for 2 areas, and get 6 credits for it instead of 3.  The CREDIT can only be counted once.

I always think of COSC's GE requirements as a checkbox area, not where I keep track of credits.  So, in the top section of my spreadsheet, I have either 90cr (BALS) or 60cr (BSLS) of Liberal Arts credits required.  And then 30cr (BALS) or 60cr (BSLS) of Non-Liberal Arts credits required.  As a course comes in, I list it as either LA or Non-LA, put in the number of credits it's worth, and then "check-the-box" down in the GE requirements section.  I do not keep track of credits in that area, just put an "X" in the spot when it's met.

So, if you take English Comp I, you list it as an LA course for 3cr, and then check off the "WRITTEN ENGLISH I" requirement.  If you take American Government, you list it as an LA course for 3cr, and then check the boxes for the "US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT" and "BEHAVIORAL/SOCIAL SCIENCE" requirements.

Hope this helps.

(02-02-2021, 03:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: That GEO link is great, thanks! I hadn't come across that before. I've been working from the updated exam list here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...values.pdf and going back to fill in SDC/Sophia options. There is a lot to go off! I've done up to Science & Math and I know I've skipped at least some TEL Learning and ASU EA options as well. 

As for the Gen Ed credit numbers, that's taken directly from https://www.charteroak.edu/psychology/ps...ochure.pdf and the other brochures that list a minimum of 40 credits as a requirement. I will add in a bit about requirements overlapping, etc., though.

Ah - that's an old brochure (2015).  BUT, since you need 60cr (minimum) of Liberal Arts, it would be difficult to find many courses that didn't fit into one of those areas.  I've yet to create a degree plan for someone where they had all of the GE requirements checked off, and didn't have much more than 40cr.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com
I just got my worksheet at COSC and find it a little confusing. Not as clear as TESU.

But got 87 credits in. So I will need the natural science with lab and then the rest UL are all at COSC.

It is double the requirement of UL courses compared to TESU.

I saw a nice page of courses planning at COSC. I downloaded it to share it here but now can't find it.

It seemed very helpful for those starting from scratch.

If I find it again I post it.
"With crucial information scattered and hidden throughout the site, I find them much more confusing to plan for."

OMGOURD YES. Thank you for doing this! I am getting to the conclusion COSC is the best option for me, but I have been so confused about the liberal arts requirement, and how the credits listed never add up close to 120. I already have a traditional BA so I am hoping that fills in all the liberal arts, upper level, and RA credits.
(02-05-2021, 03:28 PM)alexhurts Wrote: "With crucial information scattered and hidden throughout the site, I find them much more confusing to plan for."

OMGOURD YES. Thank you for doing this! I am getting to the conclusion COSC is the best option for me, but I have been so confused about the liberal arts requirement, and how the credits listed never add up close to 120. I already have a traditional BA so I am hoping that fills in all the liberal arts, upper level, and RA credits.

Which degree do you have right now and what are you hoping to get? If you got everything the traditional way, it should waive the gen eds (possibly including the cornerstone), probably the liberal arts requirement, and the RA credit requirement. But it won't waive the UL requirement. COSC requires 30 UL credits. In order to get a new degree, you need to earn at least 15 new UL credits plus 15 LL credits. 

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...degree.php
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(02-05-2021, 03:28 PM)alexhurts Wrote: "With crucial information scattered and hidden throughout the site, I find them much more confusing to plan for."

I know that requirements for a 2nd degree are different than a 1st degree - at TESU for example, no GE, Cornerstone or Free Electives are required.  It's 100% Major/AoS/concentration + any pre-req's (like if you had a BALS, and you wanted a BSBA, you'd need to take College Algebra & Stats if you didn't already).

So I'd contact COSC directly to ask what the requirements are for a 2nd degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,680 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,284 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,643 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,163 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  Help with Degree Plan origamishuttle 12 1,897 06-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium