Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC vs Excelsior... eventual plan for MSW
Appreciate the information! I'm awaiting course/transcript eval from both COSC and EC.

A new wrinkle is that EC claims they will not accept my CSMLearn for math credit, solely because I took it before EC signed their agreement with CSM... which is about the most ridiculous reason I can fathom. CSM says the course has not changed. So I'm going to try to argue that point. It isn't a deal killer, but annoying.

Also, Charter Oak says they will accept about 30 credits I have from a professional certification in massage, which EC says they will not (sorry I left out that piece), but I don't think Charter Oak will grant upper level credit, so not sure how useful that will be.

As you point out, in the end, it all comes down to how each one applies the credits and what's left over that I still have to do.

I'll update when I hear back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
I'm curious - Are you dead set on just COSC and Excelsior?  Have you taken a look at TESU?  They have a BS Human Services program, not just a concentration, it's the "major".  It's not really necessary to go for TESU either, I think you're better off with a BGS Individualized Studies from COSC with a concentration in Human Services or BS.Social Sciences from Excelsior with a Human Services Concentration.  If I would choose, maybe a BSLA/BALS or BGS with a social science concentration would work fine, if you already have an Associates in Human Services.

What I suggest you do is to look at possible graduate programs you're interested in and look at what entrance requirements are needed, don't worry about the undergrad school of choice or even the degree.  Find out what subject matter requirements are needed and make sure you have those in your undergrad list of courses you are looking at.  Create a degree plan and map out all of these requirements, find the Big 3 or competency degree program that will accept most if not all of these requirements - and then work on finishing the BA/BS.

Last but not least, look up job postings for requirements and also your state authority if there needs to be credentials or licenses that are required to work in that field. MSW is an interesting degree... go for it!  Find your program that fits you and your needs... Check for your state - Example: If you're in NJ, this site tells you what's required for Social Work: https://www.humanservicesedu.org/new-jer...uirements/

COSC General Studies - Liberal Studies: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php
COSC General Studies - Individualized: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php
Excelsior BS Social Science (Human Service concentration): https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...-sciences/
TESU BSHS Professional Track: https://www.tesu.edu/watson/bshs/index
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-20-2021, 11:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I'm curious - Are you dead set on just COSC and Excelsior?  Have you taken a look at TESU?  They have a BS Human Services program, not just a concentration, it's the "major".

I haven't ruled anything out, it just seemed like TESU would be spendier. I actually didn't notice the Human Services major. I'll def take a look at it.

I think you're better off with a BGS Individualized Studies from COSC with a concentration in Human Services or BS.Social Sciences from Excelsior with a Human Services Concentration.  If I would choose, maybe a BSLA/BALS or BGS with a social science concentration would work fine, if you already have an Associates in Human Services.

I have a certificate in Human Services, which is just the credits specific to the degree without the general requirements. But the more I have been reading, the more it seems that MSW admissions folks don't seem to care much about the undergrad degree unless it's an actual BSW.

What I suggest you do is to look at possible graduate programs you're interested in and look at what entrance requirements are needed, don't worry about the undergrad school of choice or even the degree.  Find out what subject matter requirements are needed and make sure you have those in your undergrad list of courses you are looking at.  Create a degree plan and map out all of these requirements, find the Big 3 or competency degree program that will accept most if not all of these requirements - and then work on finishing the BA/BS.

That seems like the sensible plan. I took a look at CSWE's requirements, and it seems I'm pretty close to in line with what it required (minus a bio credit or two, which most schools do not even seem to require.)  As for actual school... I'm leaning in the direction of an online program, and possibly something exotic like University of South Africa, which has an excellent MSW program.  I'm corresponding with CSWE to see what it would take to get that degree approved. If not, there are many online MSW programs, just trying to find one that won't break the bank.

Last but not least, look up job postings for requirements and also your state authority if there needs to be credentials or licenses that are required to work in that field.

It seems like the main criteria for licensure is an MSW degree from a CSWE-accredited program, passing the ASWB (national) social work exam, and, for private practice, a couple thousand hours of supervised experience.  And depending on the school, a couple of state-specific continuing ed courses might be required to meet state-specific education requirements.

Thanks very much for the detailed suggestions!
(04-20-2021, 10:26 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: Appreciate the information! I'm awaiting course/transcript eval from both COSC and EC.

A new wrinkle is that EC claims they will not accept my CSMLearn for math credit, solely because I took it before EC signed their agreement with CSM... which is about the most ridiculous reason I can fathom. CSM says the course has not changed. So I'm going to try to argue that point. It isn't a deal killer, but annoying.

Also, Charter Oak says they will accept about 30 credits I have from a professional certification in massage, which EC says they will not (sorry I left out that piece), but I don't think Charter Oak will grant upper level credit, so not sure how useful that will be.

As you point out, in the end, it all comes down to how each one applies the credits and what's left over that I still have to do.

I'll update when I hear back.
When did they sign the agreement? I ask because I'm pretty sure I took CSMLearn way before an agreement and they took it. If you are dead set on going there see if you can appeal.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(04-20-2021, 11:56 PM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 11:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That seems like the sensible plan. I took a look at CSWE's requirements, and it seems I'm pretty close to in line with what it required (minus a bio credit or two, which most schools do not even seem to require.)  As for actual school... I'm leaning in the direction of an online program, and possibly something exotic like University of South Africa, which has an excellent MSW program.  I'm corresponding with CSWE to see what it would take to get that degree approved. If not, there are many online MSW programs, just trying to find one that won't break the bank.
Please be VERY careful about choosing a non-US school.  It may look the same and it may actually be the same as the US counterparts but your state licensing board will not see it as being the same and it may stand in the way of you eventually getting your license to practice.
(04-21-2021, 07:01 AM)Alpha Wrote: Please be VERY careful about choosing a non-US school.  It may look the same and it may actually be the same as the US counterparts but your state licensing board will not see it as being the same and it may stand in the way of you eventually getting your license to practice.

I'm definitely aware of the concerns with that.

I'm in contact with CSWE (who isn't exactly helpful... they evaluate only actual transcripts from completed degrees, and won't even tell me if they have ever approved a UNISA MSW, which seems... ridiculous.)

But I am of the impression that if CSWE recognizes an MSW as meeting their accreditation standards, that most if not all state social work licensing boards defer to CSWE to determine the acceptability of a given degree.  Have you heard or found otherwise?  Some states I know have state-specific requirements you have to complete if your school does not offer them, but the states that have these requirements (CA is supposed to be one of the worst in this regard) generally have various providers where you can complete the CEs relatively quickly.

All of this is up in the air at the moment, and I'm definitely playing it conservative.  But if I can somehow get a commitment that UNISA is acceptable, the combination of the depth of the program and the low cost makes it very appealing.
(04-21-2021, 07:22 PM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 07:01 AM)Alpha Wrote: Please be VERY careful about choosing a non-US school.  It may look the same and it may actually be the same as the US counterparts but your state licensing board will not see it as being the same and it may stand in the way of you eventually getting your license to practice.

But I am of the impression that if CSWE recognizes an MSW as meeting their accreditation standards, that most if not all state social work licensing boards defer to CSWE to determine the acceptability of a given degree. 
I think this is a reasonable assumption given the statements of CSWE but I've never actually run into anyone with a non-US MSW before.  It would be nice to have some assurance in this regard but, as you've discovered, licensing boards don't like saying what they will/won't/have/haven't done in the future/past.  Also, UNISA is notoriously bad at email communication.  I'll be interested to hear how this plays out for you.  Let me know if you get stuck at some point as I'm happy to help if I can.
(04-21-2021, 05:10 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: When did they sign the agreement? I ask because I'm pretty sure I took CSMLearn way before an agreement and they took it. If you are dead set on going there see if you can appeal.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

My understanding is that EC signed the articulation agreement with CSMLearn in October, 2020.  CSMLearn has been super responsive and helpful and has interacted with various folks at EC to try and get this resolved.  I have not yet heard back.

However, in the meantime, thanks to suggestions from folks here, I applied to TESU and it appears they have *much* better application of my existing credits, so I'm strongly leaning in that direction.

Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 585 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 200 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 350 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,069 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 212 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 483 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 528 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 254 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 453 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy