Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSU-Global CBE's are Changing December 3rd
Hey guys, 

I wanted to pass on an email that I received from CSU-Global. Their CBE structure is changing.

"We wanted let you know the deadline for completing all attempts for the CBE exam you are registered for in the Fall trimester will be December 2nd. In addition, we are getting ready to launch a new option for you to earn credit towards your degree.

On December 3 we are replacing the CBE program with our new Self Study Assessment (SSA) option. The SSA experience is similar to the CBE process, with the same pricing structure and similar course offerings. Two difference you will notice are in the grading structure and how exams are administered. Below is the grade breakdown for all courses offered through the SSA platform:
  • Pre-test: 2%

• Practice quizzes: 8%

• Essay: 15%

• Proctored exam: 75%
Two portions of the Self Study Assessment will be timed. Students will have 60 minutes to complete the essay portion, which is not proctored, and 120 minutes to complete the proctored final exam.
If you have any questions regarding this change or the deadline, please contact your Student Advisor, , at , or ."

I hope that this info helps anyone that is thinking about doing a CBE.
Thank you for sharing!! I had planned to take 2 CBE's through them but I'm not so sure about that format. I don't mind writing but timed writing is really hard for me. I might have to reconsider my plans.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
When do you take the pre-test? Prior to beginning your studies? That's a bit surprising if that would impact your grade.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-13-2018, 05:15 PM)Muldoon Wrote: Thank you for sharing!! I had planned to take 2 CBE's through them but I'm not so sure about that format. I don't mind writing but timed writing is really hard for me. I might have to reconsider my plans.

I'm pretty sure that timed writing is part of the existing CBE's as well. Most CBE exams include a few essay questions as well. It sounds like they're making it easier to do by breaking them out, and making them unproctored suggests you may be able to use a legit word processor instead of having to type in the text box they provide. I don't like timed essays either, but if you have to do it anyway, this seems like a better approach. And it gives you more time since its independent of the rest of the exam.

Not to mention, as long as you have an intro, body, and conclusion and address the topic at least partially, you can probably guarantee at least half credit on the essay. Smile At only 15% of the grade, that's only like 7-8 points lost or gained. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • davewill, kmit, mudball, Muldoon
Ok, dumb question here: how is the essay timed but not proctored?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-13-2018, 11:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Ok, dumb question here: how is the essay timed but not proctored?

I assume that it uses the exam software to administer the essay but it doesn't have a proctor monitoring it.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(11-13-2018, 11:26 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 11:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Ok, dumb question here: how is the essay timed but not proctored?

I assume that it uses the exam software to administer the essay but it doesn't have a proctor monitoring it.

Other question: would it stop you from copy and pasting what you had already written? Maybe you don't get the prompt until you start the essay.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(11-14-2018, 12:17 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 11:26 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Other question: would it stop you from copy and pasting what you had already written? Maybe you don't get the prompt until you start the essay.

I would think it is like any normal exam where you don't see the questions until the exam begins.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
When I studied for their exams, you could take the pre-test anytime meaning that you could go through the study materials before taking it.

I don't really like this new model because I like to blow the practice quizzes in preparation for the test. It's where I can make all my mistakes.

The essay questions I had with the old format required short answers no longer than a paragraph or two. I didn't feel the need to do an intro, body, and conclusion.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(11-18-2018, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: When I studied for their exams, you could take the pre-test anytime meaning that you could go through the study materials before taking it.

I don't really like this new model because I like to blow the practice quizzes in preparation for the test. It's where I can make all my mistakes.

The essay questions I had with the old format required short answers no longer than a paragraph or two. I didn't feel the need to do an intro, body, and conclusion.

Thank you, that helps. I don't mind short answers but anything longer makes me nervous. It'll be interesting to see the new format. Hopefully they stick to something close to what you described.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia’s Arizona Global Campus Course Equivalency: BUS 311 Business Law I basicunitoflife 4 837 12-29-2022, 12:09 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study.com changing Business 313 jsh1138 0 601 12-09-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Sophia and Purdue Global ClockworkHammer 7 2,115 08-24-2021, 09:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia and Purdue Global ClockworkHammer 6 2,266 08-04-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue Global is working on an ACE badge for old Kaplan course jsd 1 716 01-05-2021, 04:15 PM
  Straighterline platform changing to Acrobatiq courses bjcheung77 13 4,665 08-14-2020, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Marketing 303: Global Marketing for TESU akr680 3 868 05-13-2020, 12:41 PM
Last Post: akr680
  CSU Global saraholson 15 3,284 01-23-2020, 11:09 AM
  CSU Global Federal Individual Taxation CBE feedback bfleshman 4 1,483 01-19-2020, 11:28 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Saylor - Global Understanding for COSC Clepper43 2 1,068 10-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Clepper43