Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculus I/II - Advice?
You should look into taking Calculus 1 with Outlier.org after precal. Outlier’s price policy is “if you don’t pass, you don’t pay”.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(03-01-2020, 05:16 PM)harrypotter Wrote: You should look into taking Calculus 1 with Outlier.org after precal. Outlier’s price policy is “if you don’t pass, you don’t pay”.

I definitely plan on Khan Academy or similar. There is a new one that I saw an ad for while on youtube that had a really cool format, I jut can't remember it unfortunately. I was about learning math through projects based learning that would be right up my ally.

Grantham seems to have a liberal ACE transfer policy, so I'm planning to take CS101, C++, Project Management,Calc I & II before starting the Electronics Engineering Technology program at Grantham, but I'm not 100% Calc transfers. Grantham's courses are 4 credit hours vs 3, and may be much more engineering focused. Regardless, I'm going to learn calculus on my own time before commiting to two straight semester of Calc I, II, and II 1/2

Thanks for the input. I'll check out straighter line for sure and the many others recommended.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Yeah, just stay your path and complete the Associates and then work on your Bachelors using as many ACE credits as possible to bring down the cost. I'm still a little curious why you're choosing Grantham over Excelsior though. They both have an ABET Engineering Technology program with a slightly different name, but Excelsior has Regionally Accredited status.

Further to that, since you're taking ACE credits after your Associates, Excelsior allows up to 113 credits transferred into the program vs the 90 credits at Grantham. You shouldn't worry about this now, but as I mentioned - work on your AS, work the credits for your BS, but also apply to Excelsior free if you have taken any SL/Study.com courses.

Here's the Excelsior program link: https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...echnology/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-18-2020, 11:43 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, just stay your path and complete the Associates and then work on your Bachelors using as many ACE credits as possible to bring down the cost.  I'm still a little curious why you're choosing Grantham over Excelsior though.  They both have an ABET Engineering Technology program with a slightly different name, but Excelsior has Regionally Accredited status.  

Further to that, since you're taking ACE credits after your Associates, Excelsior allows up to 113 credits transferred into the program vs the 90 credits at Grantham.  You shouldn't worry about this now, but as I mentioned - work on your AS, work the credits for your BS, but also apply to Excelsior free if you have taken any SL/Study.com courses.

Here's the Excelsior program link: https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...echnology/

Cost is the biggest reason, and I'm not sure they'll take the Electrical/Electronic AS from Penn Foster like Grantham will. $300 credit hour vs. $510 a credit at EXC doesn't really make sense ROI as I already make close to what an electrical engineer with a full BSEE in engineering makes without a degree. They are identical degrees with the exception of Differential Equations and electives, and Excelsior is definitely the better program. If I could transfer my Penn Foster AS and take most classes at Grantham to transfer to Excelsior I would go for it in a heartbeat.

Excelsior: $30k for 60 credits = $36,000
Grantham: $18,000 for 30 credits + AS=$24,000 estimated

Honestly, now that I'm looking at it the $12k difference might be worth it, as long as they can take my AS Industrial/Electrical. I have to do the AS because I need to be an Industrial electrician as well as Controls/IT. I need either the BS level to learning Controls/Automation, and no one is going to care if it is NA as long as it is ABET. I figure I can pivot to an RA Master's if I run into any issues.

Thoughts?

LOL, that's pretty much spot on to what I was going to suggest you do.  Because Excelsior's option is slightly better than Grantham, I would highly suggest doing your AS at Penn Foster and most upper level courses from Grantham, then transferring them to Excelsior to finish off the degree.  Just note you need 30 UL in total with Excelsior degrees. 

It's pretty much exactly what you're doing now, but the final finish would be with Excelsior's two required courses - Cornerstone/Capstone course combo (unless a course isn't transferable or isn't offered elsewhere for cheap, you'll just take it at Excelsior)... there are LL/UL elective courses too, just make sure you can maximize the transfers into this category.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-18-2020, 02:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, that's pretty much spot on to what I was going to suggest you do.  Because Excelsior's option is slightly better than Grantham, I would highly suggest doing your AS at Penn Foster and most upper level courses from Grantham, then transferring them to Excelsior to finish off the degree.  Just note you need 30 UL in total with Excelsior degrees. 

It's pretty much exactly what you're doing now, but the final finish would be with Excelsior's two required courses - Cornerstone/Capstone course combo (unless a course isn't transferable or isn't offered elsewhere for cheap, you'll just take it at Excelsior)... there are LL/UL elective courses too, just make sure you can maximize the transfers into this category.

BJ, you're kind of the sh** I ain't gonna lie. This negates the need to go down a convoluted path and Excelsior is probably more respectable. Electrical Engineering is going to look a lot better for my resume than Electronics Engineering would. I'll start digging in to seeing how things match up, but really even if I HAD to spend $30k or so it would probably be worth it ROI wise.
This adds on Differential Equations which sounds like it could be time consuming. Any way to do this one ACE or other RA providers?

AS far as Penn Foster is concerned, I'm on the hook for paying the whole semester. I'm not entirely against doing it all here as I like it being structured the way it is, but after this semester I'll look into just doing Social Science, Math, Art, etc elsewhere.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 21 3,897 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 688 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,656 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,242 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,067 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,042 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 719 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 981 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,809 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,239 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88