Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I use the G.I. Bill for a second Master's degree?
Shemrat Wrote:Hello. I have been looking up and down and all-around for the answer to this question: Can I use the G.I. Bill for a second Master's degree? After completion of my current masters through tuition assistance I will have a full G.I. bill to utilize. Some say that yes, you can in fact use it for a second masters. Others say no. Does anybody out there know the truth?

Thanks!

You definitely can. I am on my 2nd Master's degree right now utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Go Salukis!
M.S. University of Wisconsin-Platteville In Progress
M.S. University of Maryland University College 2011
B.S. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 2008

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
English Composition (w/o essay)
Information Systems and Computer Applications
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
Saluki up! Excellent! What are your grad majors? Did you attend your undergrad in Bethesda MD, or Jacksonville?
MS in Administration - Public Administration (Central Michigan University) - 2012
BS in Health Care Management (Southern Illinois University Carbondale) - 2011
Shemrat Wrote:Saluki up! Excellent! What are your grad majors? Did you attend your undergrad in Bethesda MD, or Jacksonville?

I was in the Electronic Systems program out of Cherry Point, NC. But I did take one class (HCM-385) at Bethesda since I moved to Maryland before I graduated. I had never spent so much time in a hospital until that class! But I guess that's a good thing. ;-) Where did you do your program?

My degree at UMUC was in project management, and I just started my UWP program in Control Systems Engineering. Good luck in your next masters!!

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
Natural Sciences

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
jaer57 Wrote:I was in the Electronic Systems program out of Cherry Point, NC. But I did take one class (HCM-385) at Bethesda since I moved to Maryland before I graduated. I had never spent so much time in a hospital until that class! But I guess that's a good thing. ;-) Where did you do your program?

My degree at UMUC was in project management, and I just started my UWP program in Control Systems Engineering. Good luck in your next masters!!

Oh okay, so you were up on the second deck of the tower in the classroom huh? I spent many a weekend there lol! Looks like you are doing good for yourself, keep it up! Cherry point... does that make you a marine?

I'm actually working on my masters on off campus CMU sites on bases in the D.C. area, and I am taking the plunge in working a second Masters online while I do this. I know, I'm crazy, but I really want to take advantage of all the TA I can before I get out. I'd say 5 years in the Navy and leaving with a BS and two masters isn't too shabby... Smile

I guess that forces me to use the G.I. Bill for a PhD one of these days... sigh.... when will school end? Big Grin
MS in Administration - Public Administration (Central Michigan University) - 2012
Shemrat Wrote:Oh okay, so you were up on the second deck of the tower in the classroom huh? I spent many a weekend there lol! Looks like you are doing good for yourself, keep it up! Cherry point... does that make you a marine?

I'm actually working on my masters on off campus CMU sites on bases in the D.C. area, and I am taking the plunge in working a second Masters online while I do this. I know, I'm crazy, but I really want to take advantage of all the TA I can before I get out. I'd say 5 years in the Navy and leaving with a BS and two masters isn't too shabby... Smile

I guess that forces me to use the G.I. Bill for a PhD one of these days... sigh.... when will school end? Big Grin

I actually took that class in the radiology department, not in the tower. I think we were supposed to be in the tower, but it was changed last minute. And yes, I'm a Marine. I was active duty from 1997-2006, and was a civilian at the time I was taking the class in Bethesda. I was the only Marine in a class of Corpsman, but they treated me alright. ;-)

Leaving active duty with a BS and two Masters is pretty impressive; well done!!

CLEP's passed:
College Mathematics
Natural Sciences

DSST's passed:
Ethics in America

General Anthropology
jaer57 Wrote:I actually took that class in the radiology department, not in the tower. I think we were supposed to be in the tower, but it was changed last minute. And yes, I'm a Marine. I was active duty from 1997-2006, and was a civilian at the time I was taking the class in Bethesda. I was the only Marine in a class of Corpsman, but they treated me alright. ;-)

Leaving active duty with a BS and two Masters is pretty impressive; well done!!

Dude, I apologize for failing to capitalize the "M." Glad they treated you well. Us corpsmen and Marines gotta stick together! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,326 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,975 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Brandman...Earn your Master's in only 7 classes. blaqberry 21 12,587 10-20-2021, 07:24 PM
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,753 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,318 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,347 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,033 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,988 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,851 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu