Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone share their experience with Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU?
First, I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this site. I am a longtime lurker on this forum, and I have learned a lot from you all about alternative ways to earn college credits at reasonable cost, such as CLEP, Sophia, and Coursera Certs. As a result, I now have an AAS BOG, Accounting on my wall that has inspired me to continue on to a BS in Business at SNHU, which I expect to complete this year. This was a dream I had just about given up on so, I can’t thank you enough!

I took next semester off to ease my workload during tax season, but I am thinking about taking Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU, during this time since it is self-paced. Also, it’s only $498 (possibly less with a promo code) vs $960. My advisor confirmed completion of the Edx course would give me credit for SNHU BUS-225 with them but I haven’t been able to find any reviews or detailed information to help me decide whether taking it this way would be any easier for me to manage than a typical SNHU course.

Can anyone here tell me about how long Edx Critical Business Skills by SNHU takes to complete, its level of difficulty, and the format (multiple choice, essay, projects, etc.) of the course and final exam?
I haven't taken it but from the syllabus:

This course is graded on a pass/fail basis, with a passing score of 70% or higher. While this course contains knowledge checks, practice exams, and other activities, your grade for the course is based solely on the final exam.

So my interpretation is that as soon as you go through the material and understand it well enough to pass you can just take the test and pass the course.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-02-2023, 06:28 PM)lorabel Wrote: First, I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this site. I am a longtime lurker on this forum, and I have learned a lot from you all about alternative ways to earn college credits at reasonable cost, such as CLEP, Sophia, and Coursera Certs. As a result, I now have an AAS BOG, Accounting on my wall that has inspired me to continue on to a BS in Business at SNHU, which I expect to complete this year. This was a dream I had just about given up on so, I can’t thank you enough!

I took next semester off to ease my workload during tax season, but I am thinking about taking Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU, during this time since it is self-paced. Also, it’s only $498 (possibly less with a promo code) vs $960. My advisor confirmed completion of the Edx course would give me credit for SNHU BUS-225 with them but I haven’t been able to find any reviews or detailed information to help me decide whether taking it this way would be any easier for me to manage than a typical SNHU course.

Can anyone here tell me about how long Edx Critical Business Skills by SNHU takes to complete, its level of difficulty, and the format (multiple choice, essay, projects, etc.) of the course and final exam?

I would ensure you take all the cheap alt credits before you spend big money on courses.

Check out the SNHU Business Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan

By the way, if you took some SNHU courses, we would appreciate feedback on what courses are like there. How many hours are you studying per week? Are you finding it easy to earn high grades at SNHU?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
MNomadic, thank you. I didn’t see that information on Edx. If credit comes down to a test at the end and no other assignments/projects, I should be fine. I just don’t want to load myself up with too much work.

LevelUP, I thought I had already taken all the cheap credits but then I ran across this Edx course. I am down to my last 6 classes to complete the BS. I’m pretty sure the remaining upper levels have to be completed at SNHU to meet their program and residency requirements. So, that only leaves me with INT-220 Global Dimensions in Business and BUS-225 Critical Business Skills that could potentially filled with alternative credits.

I am currently taking SNHU BUS-210 Managing and Leading in Business. It isn’t difficult at all, but I probably spend about 10 hours per week on it. Reading is one short chapter per week with occasional videos such as Ted Talks thrown in. Grading is generous, as long as you can follow directions, do the work, and submit it on-time. About 90% percent of the grade is based on writing – discussion posts and papers every week. Unfortunately, I am a painfully slow writer. I can get stuck in research mode for too long or stare at a blank screen for an extended amount of time without coming up with any words. If you are the sort that can quickly crank out papers and posts, you could easily do this course in half the time or less. I like that SNHU semesters are only 8 weeks long and their format keeps me moving forward, especially with the writing requirements where I could otherwise get bogged down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lorabel's post:
  • LevelUP
Most of the courses on edx, including the micro Bachelors, you can just sign up to audit for free to look at materials and syllabus. Once you enroll in the free audit track, you can apply for financial aid(90% off) if you want and they'll get you a response within a few days.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU it´s a lot like a Saylor course.
The readings come from free sources, it´s mostly readings, and only short videos.

I passed it, but I didn´t think it was that easy, I read everything before the exam.
(02-06-2023, 12:40 AM)MrPanda Wrote: Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU it´s a lot like a Saylor course.
The readings come from free sources, it´s mostly readings, and only short videos.

I passed it, but I didn´t think it was that easy, I read everything before the exam.

MrPanda, kudos to you for passing!

I ended up bailing on this Edx course after the free audit because I thought it was a total mess. Some links to videos and case studies were missing while others were duplicated within the program. Practice questions were poorly written. One set of questions asked the same question twice. I gave the same answer for both. One was marked correct and the other as wrong. Another multiple-choice question had no correct answer. I am sure of this because multiple attempts to answer are allowed on the practice questions. It was a stretch to see their reasoning even after I knew the correct (from their perspective) answer. I also had issues with the course’s navigation and found it to be generally disorganized. I don’t feel like I learned much if anything from the course and I am not confident that I could pass the final especially if it is anything like the practice questions. In my opinion, this is a badly cobbled together collection of free resources and isn’t worth the $498 price tag or even the $49.80 cost with financial aid.
Yes, it´s a lot of reading.

I said "short videos", but I should have said "very short videos".

Like if they only put them in order to be able to say that the courses included videos (1 or 2 videos per module, each video being 3 minutes or less, just presenting the topic or closing the module).

Then all the questions came from the readings, that came from free sources like the Saylor courses. I think that I have even read the same books in some Saylor courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 433 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,365 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 628 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 593 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,863 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,375 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 3,153 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,427 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Experience with Alison? SCYankee 10 1,452 06-27-2023, 05:29 PM
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 639 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore