Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can one be enrolled at TESC and EC at the same time?
Can one be enrolled at TESC and EC at the same time?

The reason that I ask is that I am fairly certain that I am 3 math credits away from locking up an AAS at TESC. My CLEP/DSST's plus my 50 odd USCG credits should seal the deal after I pass my CLEP College Math.

The plan, if I can enroll at both institutions at the same time, is to then finish CLEPing out my gened credits which should be fairly similar in nature (I have yet to do the legwork on EC with a spreadsheet and all). Then I'd like work on my BA in history at TESC and at the same time work on a BS in general business at EC.

History is a strong area for me as is business. I date an MBA student so I have an excellent tutor available at no extra cost (she isn't "free" by any means hilarious). I'm an excellent multiple guess test taker and CLEPing thus far has been a breeze so I anticipate continued success CLEPing subjects I already have a handle on i.e. history and business.

I'd do it all through TESC but they have a policy of awarding no more than 2 BA's and I want to save number 2 for a future career move where I may need to get another degree in a hurry.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, or commentary. Thanks!
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]
It might be possible to enroll at both at the same time - I have a vague recollection of someone here having done it.

However, why not do a double-major at TESC instead? From TESC's Undergraduate Academic Policies: "Students may complete up to two areas of study within one bachelor’s degree. No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time."

Important note: If you earn a bachelor's from TESC and a second bachelor's from TESC or any other regionally-accredited college, that's it.

"Second Associate and Bachelor’s Degree
The following criteria are for students who have received one associate degree at Thomas Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second associate degree, or if they have received one bachelor’s degree at Thomas Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second bachelor’s degree:

Students must complete a minimum of 15 additional credits for a second associate degree and 30 additional credits for a second bachelor’s degree beyond the date all prior degrees were conferred.

Students must select an option which is significantly different from their previous degree(s).

Students must complete all requirements for the degree as listed in the current Thomas Edison State College Catalog.

Course work used to fulfill requirements for a previous associate degree major or any other undergraduate, advanced or professional degrees may not be used to fulfill requirements for the second associate degree option or a second bachelor’s degree area of study. The College will not award a third bachelor’s degree."

Excelsior will accept a student seeking a third bachelor's if the student petitions to the dean and demonstrates a clear educational need for it.

If you anticipate a future career move, you would likely be better served by pursuing a graduate certificate in that field. You'll learn higher-level skills, and can complete the certificate in two or three semesters.

EDIT: Aha, I knew I'd seen something about this not too long ago! According to cookderosa, you can be enrolled at multiple colleges for taking classes, but cannot seek simultaneous degrees. See these threads:
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...hools.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-once.html

I haven't been able to find any policies for either college about this, though.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
You can't get the same degree from 2 colleges. When you file an intent to graduate form, you sign your name to a document outlining that (bad time to pop that news on someone!) but if you get caught they can revoke your degree. So, if you get a BA in history from one school, and a BS in business in another- I'd think you would be totally in the clear.

I do know you can't get financial aid for 2 schools at the same time, but using Perrik's suggestion you could use financial aid to get 2 degrees - it would just be from the same school.

You can search for a few old threads by Marshall, once upon a time he wanted to get degrees from EC and TESC at the same time-both in one of the liberal arts. If I recall, there was a lot of discussion on that topic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,020 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,901 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  TESU BSBA Degree Plan --- less time & money Bach2Mast 8 3,219 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Bach2Mast
  TESU - How do you apply for the two degree at the same time?? allvia 3 1,354 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
Question Which TECEP exam to take with very little time to study? ELSADDIQ 6 2,428 04-03-2018, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Any point to an AA at the same time as a BA? KAnn 11 2,246 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,157 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Can you graduate with an AA and BA from TESU at the same time? kevinmane 8 1,752 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Last Post: StoicJ