Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you enroll into any graduate programs?
I'm in the process of completing my Bachelor's. However, I'd like to know what the rules are in graduate school. For example, I'm aiming to complete a BA in Communication. Since it's an arts degree am I only allowed to pursue a MA or could I apply for MS in Management? How do credits work/applied in a graduate setting? If I wanted a MS, would I have to complete further undergraduate credits to make it applicable? Thank you for your response.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
The answer is yes, no and maybe. Wink

Seriously, it's not uncommon for Master's programs to take applicants with other degrees. Sometimes they will want you to fulfill certain course prerequisites in order to be accepted. In other cases, work experience can be considered towards filling the gap.

You also want to pay attention to GPA requirements. Those of us who use alternative credit often do not have many graded credits, or sometimes the ones we have are not in the AOS. Some schools may not care, others may care greatly, or again, be willing to overlook it if you have work experience. You need to look at the programs you would like to apply to and see what they are willing to accept. The criteria is usually set out fairly clearly. Also, because master's programs are usually profit centers, admissions counselors are often willing to work with you individually on determining eligibility.

It pays to do the legwork now and work backwards from the master's program admission requirements to determine to best way to finish your bachelor's.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
collegechick Wrote:I'm in the process of completing my Bachelor's. However, I'd like to know what the rules are in graduate school. For example, I'm aiming to complete a BA in Communication. Since it's an arts degree am I only allowed to pursue a MA or could I apply for MS in Management? How do credits work/applied in a graduate setting? If I wanted a MS, would I have to complete further undergraduate credits to make it applicable? Thank you for your response.

In GENERAL, no. Having a BA doesn't pigeon-hole you into an MA.

But in a specific sense, each school will have their particular requirements. Some programs only require any Bachelors. Others require specific courses or degrees. For example, some Master's in economics requires lower level econ courses to be taken in your bachelors, or for you to have the ability to take them. A BA in communications will allow you to apply for many different types of master's programs. You will need to find a target program and find out what their specific requirements are.

The 'Arts' vs 'Science' designations many times just means the type of courses in your program. For example in Penn State, it means you took a language component. In other schools it means you took more liberal arts courses. And there's hundreds of other interpretations of the difference depending on the school. For all intents and purposes with a few exceptions BS and BA are basically interchangeable.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
And it really is school specific. When I went MBA shopping one thing that drew me to WGU was the lack of any significant pre-reqs or high level math.

In short, you can probably find what you are looking for, but you may have to be flexible in where you go if you want to make it easy.

I would research the requirements of your top programs and make sure you get whatever they want an applicant to have.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
That's really a fantastic question, I don't think it's been asked before - but I remember wondering this too.

Everyone has already kind of hit on it, and that every school is different. I had no trouble going from a BA into an MS - I did have to take some courses that I hadn't take in my undergrad degree that were a requirement at THIS school (other schools didn't have that requirement) but as you start to look around, I think you'll find there are 9 green lights for every 1 red light you encounter.
Thanks everyone who replied to this thread. I see one person likes WGU. What are some other online, cheap Master's schools that you'd recommend?
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
Here are some that I know off the top of my head that have been discussed on this forum about a million times:

ENMU (if you take 2 courses per fall/spring term and 1 course in the summer term max, then you can finish in 2 years for $260/cr - same as the in-state rate)

APU - $350/cr

Patten (all MBA's) - competency-based, $1996/4-mo term (there may be discounts available at times)

WGU - competency-based, $3250/6-mo term

Capella Flexpath - competency-based, $2400/12-week term

Hodges UPower - competency-based, $3250/6-mo term

I'm sure there are more, but those are just the ones I know. If you're interested, you just need to go look at each one and see what the admissions requirements are for each school.

For instance, at ENMU, their MBA requires that you take 9 core courses (econ, marketing, management, stats, etc.). You just need to incorporate those courses into your degree. BUT, if you haven't, they have their own testing-out option there for free. The person I talked to there was extremely helpful and knowledgable.

WGU on the other hand, doesn't have any of those requirements. BUT, I would say that if you've never taken a business course before, then you may struggle a bit with the Masters-level courses in the program. Not that everyone will, but most masters programs assume a level of proficiency coming in that you may not have.

APU also doesn't have requirements, and I like that you can take 8-wk courses there instead of the 16-wk courses at ENMU (16-wk courses are the bane of my existence, it's why I can barely get through a semester of school!).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Here are some that I know off the top of my head that have been discussed on this forum about a million times:

ENMU (if you take 2 courses per fall/spring term and 1 course in the summer term max, then you can finish in 2 years for $260/cr - same as the in-state rate)

APU - $350/cr

Patten (all MBA's) - competency-based, $1996/4-mo term (there may be discounts available at times)

WGU - competency-based, $3250/6-mo term

Capella Flexpath - competency-based, $2400/12-week term

Hodges UPower - competency-based, $3250/6-mo term

I'm sure there are more, but those are just the ones I know. If you're interested, you just need to go look at each one and see what the admissions requirements are for each school.

For instance, at ENMU, their MBA requires that you take 9 core courses (econ, marketing, management, stats, etc.). You just need to incorporate those courses into your degree. BUT, if you haven't, they have their own testing-out option there for free. The person I talked to there was extremely helpful and knowledgable.

WGU on the other hand, doesn't have any of those requirements. BUT, I would say that if you've never taken a business course before, then you may struggle a bit with the Masters-level courses in the program. Not that everyone will, but most masters programs assume a level of proficiency coming in that you may not have.

APU also doesn't have requirements, and I like that you can take 8-wk courses there instead of the 16-wk courses at ENMU (16-wk courses are the bane of my existence, it's why I can barely get through a semester of school!).

Thank you for the informative and thoughtful response. I will check into these schools that you mentioned. Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 10 335 1 hour ago
Last Post: smartdegree
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,722 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,879 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 450 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,579 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,035 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,033 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,678 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 428 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas