Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone with three other courses
I skimmed through the e-book today.

When finding sources, do they all have to be scholarly or just the majority?

I'd like to do a contemporary topic, but wondering if I will end up having difficulty finding reliable sources of information.

For writing this paper, we are basically just regurgitating information but putting it into our own words and citing the sources?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Guided study vs online capstone. I am definitely an independent learner but wondering if it’s worth taking the online capstone simply for the points for the online discussion. Seems like it would take some of the heat off with the grade for the written paper. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this on either side. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(12-19-2018, 10:20 AM)Tripletmom Wrote: Guided study vs online capstone. I am definitely an independent learner but wondering if it’s worth taking the online capstone simply for the points for the online discussion. Seems like it would take some of the heat off with the grade for the written paper. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this on either side. Thanks.

Online seems to be the general consensus around here for those added marks. I think you would still be an independent learner for the most part anyway.
Credits:
(12-19-2018, 10:20 AM)Tripletmom Wrote: Guided study vs online capstone. I am definitely an independent learner but wondering if it’s worth taking the online capstone simply for the points for the online discussion. Seems like it would take some of the heat off with the grade for the written paper. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this on either side. Thanks.

That's how I felt. I found the blog posts to be practically effortless and essentially free points. Others have felt differently.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I thought I’d do guided study but I think I’m now leaning in the other direction. Thanks for the replies.

If I had the chance to do it over I would absolutely do guided study. The forum posts are not as easy as all that, at least with the mentor for my class wanting sources for everything, so it's not a casual discussion. It also kind of sucks because the other students are not really into having a discussion, they obviously just want to post something to get a score and move on. I get that, but the things they are posting are, many of them, rather meaningless and I feel like it wastes my time to read them and there isn't a whole lot there to reply to. Part of the grade depends on replying to other students. Not a big part, but I don't like it. I definitely wish I'd gone with the guided study instead.
[-] The following 2 users Like fork's post:
  • Ideas, Tripletmom
(12-20-2018, 12:46 PM)fork Wrote:

If I had the chance to do it over I would absolutely do guided study. The forum posts are not as easy as all that, at least with the mentor for my class wanting sources for everything, so it's not a casual discussion. It also kind of sucks because the other students are not really into having a discussion, they obviously just want to post something to get a score and move on. I get that, but the things they are posting are, many of them, rather meaningless and I feel like it wastes my time to read them and there isn't a whole lot there to reply to. Part of the grade depends on replying to other students. Not a big part, but I don't like it. I definitely wish I'd gone with the guided study instead.

The guided study has discussions as well, just fewer and therefore worth less. That makes the final paper weigh more in your overall grade. Personally, I'm glad I did the online version since I can be less stressed over the other stuff since I get 15% free from the discussions.

Yeah, I think that is the nature of the beast with the discussions. Most people post just enough to meet the syllabus and rubric requirements. I agree that it feels strained since people clearly aren't interested in a dialogue, despite my attempts.

The point is supposed to be answering the questions using a combination of evidence (via sources) and personal interpretation/opinion. Most of my responses so far have used at least 1 source (the text) but a few used web-based sources as well since that was part of the question. However, there has been at least one or two where I didn't have to use any sources since it was just asking for my opinion or interpretation of information. Ultimately, sources are only needed if you're referencing information. Some of the people in my cohort don't use references for any of the questions, except the ones that specifically ask for it. So, it's up to you.

As long as you write a paragraph or two on the subject and your post is reasonably well thought out they are usually pretty easy. I have prepared nearly all of my discussions in advance and just post them when needed. Each one usually takes under an hour... some were closer to like 15 minutes. So it really isn't much work for 15% of your overall grade.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Tripletmom
I may register for February. I will probably do guided study.

(12-20-2018, 03:14 PM)Merlin Wrote: The guided study has discussions as well, just fewer and therefore worth less.

From TESU's capstone FAQ, which may be outdated: "With the Guided Study format, you won’t be required to participate in online discussions."

(12-17-2018, 04:34 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: In terms of this being a research paper, are we mostly just regurgitating information into this paper and citing it? It doesn't seem like it's a typical "essay".

I think all the options involve interviews, surveys, etc and analyzing them.

From TESU's capstone FAQ: 

"Is it a research paper? Not exactly; it is much more than that. Although you are the researcher, the Capstone goes beyond the mere collection of information. Instead, you will demonstrate the skills learned in your undergraduate studies to solve a problem based upon certain assumptions related to your topic. That means you will conduct your own field research and collect primary source data to create a scholarly, academic project that supports an argumentative thesis statement or major question with new work and ideas."

"This is anything but a typical research paper. Throughout your project, you will be an authentic researcher who explores and adds to the body of knowledge in your field of study."

I just completed my LA Capstone. J.Cody is great. I would highly recommend him.
I could honestly say my paper was 54 pages and leave it at that, but that would be misleading.
To be honest it was 37 pages of "writing" (and some of this is just rewording, restructuring of things from previous chapters).
Added to this is cover page (1), contents (2), abstract (1), graphs (6), annotated bibliography (4), appendix (1), references(2).
I honestly don't know how I could have made it any shorter without having any depth whatsoever.
To me, the class was long and at times overwhelming but I spent a lot of time perfecting grammar, sentence structure, and APA formatting because of my lack of essay writing.
I got an A!!!
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
ummm today is the first day to register for the February capstone and it shows only 1 spot available out of 4 instructors??
Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 225 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 361 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Taking Math Courses at TESU legenwait4itdary 5 510 02-02-2024, 12:32 PM
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,038 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,143 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM