Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes at Excelsior
(05-16-2018, 11:51 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 11:03 PM)BAngieB Wrote: IHE story on Excelsior’s situation: https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-l...tensifying

Do you work there?

No, but I know someone who does (for now, at least).
[-] The following 1 user Likes BAngieB's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(05-18-2018, 03:55 AM)BAngieB Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 11:51 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 11:03 PM)BAngieB Wrote: IHE story on Excelsior’s situation: https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-l...tensifying

Do you work there?

No, but I know someone who does (for now, at least).

Thank you for sharing.  I wish alumni did not need to read stuff on the internet first.  Communication is critical in times of change.  I hope EC does well and your friend.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I think they've already started paring down the degrees? When I looked at the website, it looks like there are fewer options for the BA in Liberal Studies and Business. I could be wrong though...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
When they made changes to their nursing program to enroll individuals who could actually graduate from their program instead of the previous admission policy of where everyone could get into the program it cut into their profits. It's great they're being proactive and selecting quality over quantity. I fear in the coming years some schools will be unprepared.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
TESU and COSC have the benefit of being propped up by state taxes, and their rates are low for in-state students. Excelsior's model is unsustainable as a private college. With much cheaper competency-based programs, hardly anyone is going to want to pay $500 per credit. Online, out-of-state students pay that at University of Florida.

(05-18-2018, 10:34 PM)Exfactor Wrote: When they made changes to their nursing program to enroll individuals who could actually graduate from their program instead of the previous admission policy of where everyone could get into the program it cut into their profits. It's great they're being proactive and selecting quality over quantity. I fear in the coming years some schools will be unprepared.

Getting sued is expensive, and high failure rates could have put them at risk of losing their nursing accreditation. Plus, an increasing number of states were putting additional requirements on Excelsior graduates. If it weren't for the new admissions requirements, I believe my state would have stopped recognizing Excelsior nursing degrees. Since Excelsior doesn't teach anything in its associate's program, students have to come in with clinical experience.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Yenisei
(05-19-2018, 03:22 PM)sanantone Wrote: TESU and COSC have the benefit of being propped up by state taxes, and their rates are low for in-state students. Excelsior's model is unsustainable as a private college. With much cheaper competency-based programs, hardly anyone is going to want to pay $500 per credit. Online, out-of-state students pay that at University of Florida.

(05-18-2018, 10:34 PM)Exfactor Wrote: When they made changes to their nursing program to enroll individuals who could actually graduate from their program instead of the previous admission policy of where everyone could get into the program it cut into their profits. It's great they're being proactive and selecting quality over quantity. I fear in the coming years some schools will be unprepared.

Getting sued is expensive, and high failure rates could have put them at risk of losing their nursing accreditation. Plus, an increasing number of states were putting additional requirements on Excelsior graduates. If it weren't for the new admissions requirements, I believe my state would have stopped recognizing Excelsior nursing degrees. Since Excelsior doesn't teach anything in its associate's program, students have to come in with clinical experience.

In states where their are dilemmas with EC nursing degrees such individuals can still find jobs with the VA, prisons ect. I currently work in HR for a mental health organization with several locations in North Florida and I'm continuously shocked by the amount of individuals I come across with EC nursing degrees. Wasn't their a thread on here years ago where an TESU alumni stated she was denied admission to a nursing program locally because she had a TESC/TESU BS degree?

EC has made an extremely large amount of revenue the past few years under the leadership of its previous president. Under the direction of its new president the school has decided to do away with many of its former policies and that included its open admissions policy under it's nursing program. But not only has the nursing program been affected but so has other school initiatives. They have pretty much shut down all the initiatives that the former president started and it has affected their bottom dollar. However, things appear now to be stabilizing.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
(05-20-2018, 09:53 AM)Exfactor Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 03:22 PM)sanantone Wrote: TESU and COSC have the benefit of being propped up by state taxes, and their rates are low for in-state students. Excelsior's model is unsustainable as a private college. With much cheaper competency-based programs, hardly anyone is going to want to pay $500 per credit. Online, out-of-state students pay that at University of Florida.

In states where their are dilemmas with EC nursing degrees such individuals can still find jobs with the VA, prisons ect. I currently work in HR for a mental health organization with several locations in North Florida and I'm continuously shocked by the amount of individuals I come across with EC nursing degrees. Wasn't their a thread on here years ago where an TESU alumni stated she was denied admission to a nursing program locally because she had a TESC/TESU BS degree?

EC has made an extremely large amount of revenue the past few years under the leadership of its previous president. Under the direction of its new president the school has decided to do away with many of its former policies and that included its open admissions policy under it's nursing program. But not only has the nursing program been affected but so has other school initiatives. They have pretty much shut down all the initiatives that the former president started and it has affected their bottom dollar. However, things appear now to be stabilizing.

I doubt anyone was rejected for having a TESC degree. There are many factors that go into admissions in healthcare programs i.e. some schools won't accept prerequisites that were completed online or at an unaccredited organization (Straighterline). University of Florida, which is highly-regarded in the life science community and is a top 10 public school, had no problem with waiving the leveling courses based on the biology courses I had on my TESU transcript. But, the biggest accomplishment was being accepted, which was based on my GPA and GRE scores. Regardless, this is irrelevant to what is going on with Excelsior. It's not like TESU nursing degree holders are denied licensure in any state.

My point is that Excelsior didn't make any of these changes out of the goodness of their hearts; organizations rarely do. They did these things for survival, and there is nothing wrong with that. TESU made a lot of unpopular changes because they had to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't spend all that time and money on a nursing degree if my only job options were with the federal government. That's the same as getting an NA degree and hoping to find one of the few graduate programs that will accept it. Most people are getting nursing degrees to increase their opportunities, not limit them.

Florida doesn't put any restrictions on Excelsior degrees, so why wouldn't people living there get them?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Yenisei

"EC has made an extremely large amount of revenue the past few years under the leadership of its previous president. Under the direction of its new president the school has decided to do away with many of its former policies and that included its open admissions policy under it's nursing program. "

Isn't the past president of Excelsior the current president of TESU now?
(06-17-2018, 08:11 PM)miah Wrote:

"EC has made an extremely large amount of revenue the past few years under the leadership of its previous president. Under the direction of its new president the school has decided to do away with many of its former policies and that included its open admissions policy under it's nursing program. "

No. She was at SUNY Empire State College. Before that, she was at Central Michigan State University Global Campus.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

No he died in office. Maybe of cancer?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,828 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,168 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,924 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,292 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 961 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,262 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,775 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,219 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,390 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,857 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn