Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak State College - New Degree in B.S. Business Administration
cookderosa Wrote:Related but maybe not especially relevant, David and Goliath is Gladwell's most recent book - thumbs up! Chapter on relative deprivation especially good.

yeah, I always find taking time away from my relatives is good too
JTP Wrote:One nice thing about the speaking requirement is that you can fill out a waiver if you have any speaking experience. Granted you will not get 3 credits towards degree completion they just waive the class.
I recently was granted my waiver request for this and outlined the paperwork in this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...aiver.html

I'm also in week three of the cornerstone right now. It's an interesting class...but I don't really see a point of it if you are required to take English Comp 1 & 2. I can definitely understand why it has such a high drop rate with all of the busy work and repeat English class content.

Wow! That's really great news! What paperwork did you submit for waiving public speaking and how long did it take for the process to complete? And are you going for the B.S. in B.A.? Yes, the Cornerstone course is stupid especially since English courses cover the same things.
You have to ask an academic advisor for the paperwork. It took about 2.5-3 weeks for the provost to accept it, and she even contacted me for a little more info on one of my pieces of supporting documentation.

I copied and pasted the content of the two documents to the above linked thread...in hindsight I probably should have posted that thread to the big three sub-forum instead of the general one.

Here is a list of all of the required information for the "waiver packet"

The waiver request packet should include:
Completed and signed Application for Waiver Form (Required)
Letter to Provost requesting waiver (Required)
Supporting documentation demonstrating proficiency (Required)
Signed letter from Supervisor or other appropriate reference to corroborate expertise (Required)

I am going for the B.S. in Cybersecurity. I have quite a few credits transferring in for the program, and I am currently having my Certified Ethical Hacker credential evaluated by the college.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
JTP Wrote:You have to ask an academic advisor for the paperwork. It took about 2.5-3 weeks for the provost to accept it, and she even contacted me for a little more info on one of my pieces of supporting documentation.

I copied and pasted the content of the two documents to the above linked thread...in hindsight I probably should have posted that thread to the big three sub-forum instead of the general one.

Here is a list of all of the required information for the "waiver packet"

The waiver request packet should include:
Completed and signed Application for Waiver Form (Required)
Letter to Provost requesting waiver (Required)
Supporting documentation demonstrating proficiency (Required)
Signed letter from Supervisor or other appropriate reference to corroborate expertise (Required)

I am going for the B.S. in Cybersecurity. I have quite a few credits transferring in for the program, and I am currently having my Certified Ethical Hacker credential evaluated by the college.

Did you do the TEEX stuff? Nvm. I saw you completed one of them. Why not the other two TEEX courses as well?

Maybe you can add the info about the public speaking waiver to the degree wikia since info will inevitably get lost in the forums.
I only completed the TEEX course for IT Professionals because it was the only one that filled a major requirement for me (ITE 145 Fundamentals of Information Security). I already happened to have all of my liberal arts and free electives filled from past courses completed.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
KittenMittens Wrote:I took it this semester, and finished basically all the degree requirements as described in the degreeforum wikia this semester. There wasn't really much degree planning and no resume training in my version of IDS 101; I think it was the first assignment where you were supposed to detail what you wanted to get out of the college, and talking about yourself and that was it.

I took IDS101 before it was changed. I was told by my advisor that because degree planning isn't required for certain majors now that they were eliminating it from the cornerstone. I didn't realize they'd already done it though (I'm used to them moving more slowly, lol).
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
I took it at the end of last year and there was no degree planning/resume writing either. Mostly reading of A Rulebook for Arguments, Outliers and The Craft of Research, writing forum posts and writing a research paper. It was an easy class.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
KittenMittens Wrote:As an update, starting July 2015, Charter Oak State College will be offering a full B.S. in Business Administration. Previously, Charter Oak State College only offered a B.S. or B.A. in "General Studies" with a "concentration" in business administration which did not look as good as having an actual major in Business Administration.

The only differences between this B.S. in Business Administration diploma and the "General Studies w/ business concentration" diploma is that the former requires you to take a course/exam in Business Law, and a course/exam in Business Statistics. Both the CLEPS Introduction To Business Law exam and ALEKS Business Statistics exams can fulfill these requirements for the "B.S. in Business Administration" degree, with the former having test prep material from instantcert.com . Considering that both of these requirements can be easily met with the CLEP Intro. To Business Law exam and ALEKS Business Statistics exam/mini-course (about ~$20), I strongly recommend that students pursue this degree over the generalized one.

As discussed previously: I mentioned reasons as to why a Charter Oak State College degree in Business Administration may be a better option for many compared to TESC or Excelsior.

This new introduction of the B.S. in Business Administration can make Charter Oak State College an even more attractive option for many especially since COSC's B.S. in Business Administration only requires 48 credits in business credits, with only 15 credits for the business degree being UL , 3 of which are satisfied by the UL Capstone course (30 UL total needed, so the remaining 15 UL credits could be satisfied through any subjects i.e. non-business)

if we include microeconomics, macroeconomics, and other similar courses then comparing the other 2 colleges:

TESC requiring 15 UL credits in business which includes a capstone (33 UL total needed) with a total of about 63 business credits

and

Excelsior requiring 24 UL credits in business courses which includes the capstone and a total of about 51-54 credits in business courses if we include micro and macroecon .

This would mean that COSC's B.S. in Business Administration would likely be the "easiest" degree to obtain a B.S. in Business Administration since it appears to have the most lax requirements. TESC has you take about 63 credits in business courses (63 credits = 54 credits in business credits + 9 credits from microecon, macroecon, and business statistics, etc), 15 of which are UL (including capstone) for a total of 33 UL credits, and Excelsior has you take about 45-54 business credits with 24 upper level business electives (including capstone). Although Excelsior has the least amount of total UL credits (with 24 UL credits), they must all be in business credits which is a lot harder to fill compared to Charter Oak and TESC's 15 UL credits in business credits, and remaining 15 UL and 18 UL credits in any subject respectively. Excelsior also tends to be the most expensive as well.

COSC, on the other hand, only needs about 48 business credits, and only 15 upper level credits in business courses and with a total of 30 UL credits altogether to get the degree!!!

At the time, the degree would have only been a "General Studies" degree. Now, however, the option for a full major in Business Administration is available. This change has not reflected on the website yet, but will show in the next few months and will go into effect on July 1, 2015.

TESC requires 12 UL credits in the area of specialization. Five of the required courses for the business core are automatically UL if they come from a 4-year school or ACE/NCCRS credits. That means that a total of 27 UL credits will probably be earned at minimum, but 12 is the stated requirement. TESC does not require any other UL credits outside of the area of specialization and business core. One of the UL courses at TESC can be fulfilled by a CLEP that is evaluated by ACE as LL: Intro to Marketing. Another UL requirement, Intro to Management, can be fulfilled with a CLEP that is LL at COSC. The general consensus is that these two exams are very easy. COSC does not give UL credit for these exams. As a matter of fact, COSC does not give UL credit for a few relatively easy CLEP/DSST that are counted as UL at TESC i.e. Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior DSSTs. This means that some of TESC's UL requirements can be fulfilled with easier tests that would not count toward COSC's UL requirements. To add, the Principles of Finance DSST that will count toward the business core is UL at TESC and LL at COSC. But, it doesn't really matter because TESC technically does not have UL requirements for the business core. The only official UL requirements are the 12 credits for the area of specialization. I do not know if TESC will allow community college courses to fulfill the requirements of the typically UL courses in the business core. TESC's BSBAs require a total of 54 business credits, not 63.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:TESC requires 12 UL credits in the area of specialization. Five of the required courses for the business core are automatically UL if they come from a 4-year school or ACE/NCCRS credits. That means that a total of 27 UL credits will probably be earned at minimum, but 12 is the stated requirement. TESC does not require any other UL credits outside of the area of specialization and business core. One of the UL courses at TESC can be fulfilled by a CLEP that is evaluated by ACE as LL: Intro to Marketing. Another UL requirement, Intro to Management, can be fulfilled with a CLEP that is LL at COSC. The general consensus is that these two exams are very easy. COSC does not give UL credit for these exams. As a matter of fact, COSC does not give UL credit for a few relatively easy CLEP/DSST that are counted as UL at TESC i.e. Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior DSSTs. This means that some of TESC's UL requirements can be fulfilled with easier tests that would not count toward COSC's UL requirements. To add, the Principles of Finance DSST that will count toward the business core is UL at TESC and LL at COSC. But, it doesn't really matter because TESC technically does not have UL requirements for the business core. The only official UL requirements are the 12 credits for the area of specialization. I do not know if TESC will allow community college courses to fulfill the requirements of the typically UL courses in the business core. TESC's BSBAs require a total of 54 business credits, not 63.

I'm including microeconomics, macroeconomics, and statistics since that's what a BS in BA from Charter Oak would have you do. I've included those courses to make the comparisons easier to make. If we exclude those 9 credits from COSC, then can also say as far as "business credits" go, Charter Oak only needs 39 credits so about 15 credits or about 5 classes shorter.

You are correct that some of those courses that are considered LL would be UL at TESC. That is something I mentioned in the wiki as a pro for TESC. Let's say that they both require 12 UL credits in the area of specialization. It would mean then of the 4 areas of specialization for TESC, you'd have to take some advanced coursework in finance or accounting which I see as a negative as well.

Comparing the two degrees, COSC has less strict requirements for the business requirements compared to TESC, though you'd need to take about 4 UL exams ideally under the plan I made to finish the remaning 12 credits of UL credit.
KittenMittens Wrote:I'm including microeconomics, macroeconomics, and statistics since that's what a BS in BA from Charter Oak would have you do. I've included those courses to make the comparisons easier to make. If we exclude those 9 credits from COSC, then can also say as far as "business credits" go, Charter Oak only needs 39 credits so about 15 credits or about 5 classes shorter.

You are correct that some of those courses that are considered LL would be UL at TESC. That is something I mentioned in the wiki as a pro for TESC. Let's say that they both require 12 UL credits in the area of specialization. It would mean then of the 4 areas of specialization for TESC, you'd have to take some advanced coursework in finance or accounting which I see as a negative as well.

Comparing the two degrees, COSC has less strict requirements for the business requirements compared to TESC, though you'd need to take about 4 UL exams ideally under the plan I made to finish the remaning 12 credits of UL credit.

Do you have a link to COSC's BSBA degree requirements? Did I miss it in the thread? For the general management specialization, you would only need one advanced course in accounting or finance. The rest can be marketing and management. You can also choose a different specialization that doesn't require advanced coursework in accounting or finance at all such as marketing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,202 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,674 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,867 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,088 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,005 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,717 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun