Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak needs to update its tuition comparison
It's nothing big, but I noticed that Charter Oak is still listing Excelsior's tuition rate as $390 per credit hour. That is way off. They have been charging $425 per credit hour for awhile and are about to charge $465. They have to do all they can to make themselves look competitive even if they can't compete with TESC's Comprehensive Tuition Plan. Big Grin
Affordable Tuition and Fees - Charter Oak State College
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think it's competitive if you only have a few classes left. In my case, COSC was definitely cheaper than TESC which was one of the deciding factors. But, yes they need to update. They all seem a little off. They have Capella listed at 540 but Capella's website says $305 - $360. http://www.capella.edu/tuition-financial...tion-fees/
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
And, Capella is on the quarter hour system, so you can't do a direct, per-credit comparison.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I chose COSC over TESC because of the fees. It was cheaper to enroll in COSC with the per semester fees then to have to come up with a few thousand dollars all at once. TESC is a great school, but it is geared more for people using financial aid then for people paying out of pocket. Of course this only my opinion based on what little knowledge I do have about TESC.

I think COSC needs to update and redo their comparison, they need to do a true, honest apple to apples comparison to other schools, both in-state and out of state per credit rates. Of course I think they could make themselves more competitive by simply dropping the out of state tuition and charging everyone in-state tuition.
Obviously, COSC's tuition comparison is for those looking to take courses in residence. Those looking to test out of more than 90% of the required credits are in the small minority. For non-residents, TESC charges a flat rate of $8395 for up to 36 credits (this includes TECEPs and PLAs). That's $233.19 per credit hour with no enrollment fee. The Charter Oak website is not coming up for me right now, but if I recall correctly, 36 credits will cost over $12,000. That's not even including the semester fees. Excelsior is $15,300 not including the enrollment or annual fees. Soon, 36 credits at Excelsior will cost $16,740.

TESC created the Per Credit Tuition Plan for those looking to work slowly and pay out of pocket. Even though the enrollment fee is gone, the cost per credit does go up to $476 per credit hour. However, the TECEPs are still $108 for non-residents. Using TECEPs to meet the residency requirements under this plan makes TESC's fees for those looking to almost completely test out lower than the fees at EC and COSC. I made a thread comparing the costs. IIRC, COSC is currently more expensive than EC for those looking to transfer in everything they can.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Obviously, COSC's tuition comparison is for those looking to take courses in residence. Those looking to test out of more than 90% of the required credits are in the small minority. For non-residents, TESC charges a flat rate of $8395 for up to 36 credits (this includes TECEPs and PLAs). That's $233.19 per credit hour with no enrollment fee. The Charter Oak website is not coming up for me right now, but if I recall correctly, 36 credits will cost over $12,000. That's not even including the semester fees. Excelsior is $15,300 not including the enrollment or annual fees. Soon, 36 credits at Excelsior will cost $16,740.

TESC created the Per Credit Tuition Plan for those looking to work slowly and pay out of pocket. Even though the enrollment fee is gone, the cost per credit does go up to $476 per credit hour. However, the TECEPs are still $108 for non-residents. Using TECEPs to meet the residency requirements under this plan makes TESC's fees for those looking to almost completely test out lower than the fees at EC and COSC. I made a thread comparing the costs. IIRC, COSC is currently more expensive than EC for those looking to transfer in everything they can.

Great post! These new tuition alternatives are a wonderful alternative for future TESC students. It seems most on this forum do not consider the comprehensive tuition program. I, while in-state, took full advantage of the pricing. I was able to take two-three courses per semester which included one tecep or an epack course. It truly was all inclusive. This also allowed me the flexibility to test (1-2x/mo) and take additional courses when needed (PF, SL, CC) at the same time. This formula time/cost was how, a few years ago, completed 4 degrees for $10k (TTL) in two years. I would have pd out of state of tuition as well at these costs. My total bill compared to my siblings was lunch money.

I enjoyed TESCs online/guided study courses. Granted all but one course I took was rigorous but that was my intent. I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with a 100% test out degree without proper work experience. There is just a wealth of skill that is lost, imho. Researching, critical thinking and analysis, writing papers (reports/thesis/proposals) may be a pain in the bum, but in the long run you will be at a loss without this basic skill set.

Just in thinking about those entry level employees, it would be kind of embarrassing to hold a college degree and cannot draft a simple report when your supervisor throws a show me the numbers or the reasons why we should/should not, request your way. It's very easy to weed out those who are easily terminated vs those who deserve mentoring and promotions. Don't walk in with a severe handicap on something as basic as research and a comparative writing skills.

What is wonderful about the Big3 is they are all so diverse that anyone can truly draft their own individual plan. I have recommended this course of earning a degree to quite a few adults who are already comfortable in their careers and did not need a known school to boost their job prospects.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I agree. The diversity of offered degree programs and tuition and fee structures allow them to meet the needs of varying situations. Some people need the low fees, payment plan, and consortium agreement that COSC offers. Excelsior offers all of the courses needed for degrees that aren't offered by TESC and COSC. TESC is very liberal in giving UL credit for tests, ACE/NCCRS credits, and transfer credits from 4-year schools. TESC also still has several options that don't require a course be taken in residence.

But, yeah, the Comprehensive Tuition Plan is great and very competitive. TESC's non-resident tuition is close to the in-state tuition charged at many public colleges. The inclusion of alternative options such as PLAs, e-Packs, and TECEPs makes it even better. It would be cool if Excelsior did the same thing with Uexcel exams.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
If I remember correctly, another member (soliloquy, perhaps?) was had posted some communications they'd received from COSC stating that they were working on updating the information on their website.

IMHO, I think their website is dated, and in dire need of a makeover. It's quite boring. I know they don't exactly have a marketing department, but somebody at COSC has to have enough business experience to know that COSC's prices could give it a real competitive advantage if they marketed themselves correctly.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,700 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,103 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,756 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,763 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,500 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Thumbs Up Charter Oak apply for free through 01/05/18 allvia 4 2,667 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,658 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Charter Oak - Paralegal Studies BSBRose21 0 1,030 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  Has Charter Oak ever upgraded a community college credit frank.f.franky 1 1,068 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: GoldieLux
  help with my Charter Oak evaluation mdel210201 17 4,084 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito